Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I'm happy with my iPad 9 Wi-Fi only 256GB model which is used for photos and videos storage and quick preview...

Side note, I'm typing this on my iPad 4 Wi-Fi only 32GB model on iOS 10.3.3

Still using it for web browsing and watching Netflix, can no longer use YouTube on it... Some apps and websites no longer work on it but so long as it still works (for the other use cases)

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
as Apple knows that 64gb of storage will not be enough for most users

Idk if there are real stats on this, but I doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised if most people cautiously or unknowingly buy way more storage than they need, but the tons of people who are using an iPad for browsing and streaming and maybe one or two games and are fine with offloading some photos etc. to iCloud can easily make do with 64GB
So True, i also don't know why base iPad 64GB Still exist in 2022..
For 3 Important Online Games, PUBG/Call Of Duty (10GB), Mobile Legends, (6GB) and Asphalt or Some Racing Car (3GB)...
They'll easily lose 19GB.. unless they only play very casual games such as diner dash, chicken invaders, or some candy saga lol

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
For 3 Important Online Games, PUBG/Call Of Duty (10GB), Mobile Legends, (6GB) and Asphalt or Some Racing Car (3GB)...
They'll easily lose 19GB.. unless they only play very casual games such as diner dash, chicken invaders, or some candy saga lol
because some people are fine with 64GB, if they didn't offer 64GB people would be criticizing that.

lack of 128 sucks, but it's pretty obvious/understandable that it's a way to make you upgrade. important is a personal thing - my mother is very happy with reading the news & playing candy crush etc., and honestly even I could manage with 64 very easily but I wanted more non icloud vid storage. I feel like people underestimate how many people buy these things for browsing, streaming, and a game or 2... if someone is playing COD ofc they're going to go up or push it to the limit, and they probably have other consoles too, but that's not everyone's use

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Personally I’d get the Air for two reasons. First is the laminated display. I can’t stand non-laminated anymore, they annoy me a lot. Second is the M1 chip. So far it’s stage manager that’s the only M1 exclusive feature but I have a feeling they might have other features in the future that require an M1 chip and I wouldn’t want to miss out on those. That said I’m all in on ipad and don’t have a computer.

Reactions: Technerd108

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
Not too long ago, the previous 8th gen iPad came with 32gb as base storage and people were saying the same thing. 64 is the new low and I expect Apple to keep that storage for a while until it gets too unbearable to manage.

I have a good amount of apps and some games on my 64gb iPhone XR and it only takes up 28gb of storage, but I think most of that is due to iCloud storage since almost all of my photos and videos are in the cloud.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a received a $600 Apple gift card for my birthday to purchase a new iPad and I really cannot decide whether to get the regular iPad, or opt out for the iPad Air.

My main usage is quite basic: web browsing and Youtube/Netflix binging. I am not a gamer and do not use apps such as Procreate. Based on that, I assume that as is recommended for most users, the regular iPad should suffice for my use. I am however willing to pay extra for a better screen resolution, while shows on Netflix will look better, which is a big plus. On the other hand, the iPad Air looks sleeker and the screen might be slightly better with the liquid retina display, even though it will not be a huge jump over the regular iPad (compared to the Pro version).

Does it makes sense to get the iPad Air for my usage? I believe 64gb of storage should be just fine for me, as I am not planning to download any games. After reading and watching reviews online about the new iPad Air, I get the sense that it is simply an "upsale" model to get people to buy the iPad Pro, as Apple knows that 64gb of storage will not be enough for most users in addition to the similar shared specs with the iPad Pro. Will it possibly make sense to get the current iPad at the moment and use the remaining gift card balance for an upgrade for a newer iPad in a 3-4 year time, once the current iPad becomes sluggish? Should I just add $200 and get an iPad Pro?

I realize that this is a subjective matter, but will be glad to receive some feedback.

You usage is like mine and I could have bought the basic iPad but at the time went with the Air 4. I don’t use anything extra that it offers to be honest and only browse the web, watch YouTube and Netflix. I doubt i’ll bother with another Air after this one.

Could you get the iPad 9th gen and put the rest towards an Apple Watch upgrade to get more out of your voucher?

Reactions: Saturn007

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not too long ago, the previous 8th gen iPad came with 32gb as base storage and people were saying the same thing. 64 is the new low and I expect Apple to keep that storage for a while until it gets too unbearable to manage.

I have a good amount of apps and some games on my 64gb iPhone XR and it only takes up 28gb of storage, but I think most of that is due to iCloud storage since almost all of my photos and videos are in the cloud.

I have a 32GB iPad 7th gen that primarily gets used for PDF markup and barely has any apps installed. Right now, it’s saying it can’t do OTA update to iPadOS 16 DB3 because I have less than 10.88GB free space.

Reactions: Funny Apple Man

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
I have the 9th gen, use it as an entertainment device (streaming, music, web browsing, reading, not the best option for reading though) and for some note taking, it's fine, for its price point is a great deal, but, in your case, since you're not using your cash, I'd go for the best iPad I could get, I'd definitely go for the Air.

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
I have a 32GB iPad 7th gen that primarily gets used for PDF markup and barely has any apps installed. Right now, it’s saying it can’t do OTA update to iPadOS 16 DB3 because I have less than 10.88GB free space.
That's rough, I know betas take up more storage but still doesn't excuse Apple for offering low storage. 64gb is tolerable for now but they shouldn't keep that same base capacity for too long like they did with 32gb and 16gb.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That's rough, I know betas take up more storage but still doesn't excuse Apple for offering low storage. 64gb is tolerable for now but they shouldn't keep that same base capacity for too long like they did with 32gb and 16gb.

The annoying thing is iPadOS takes up 4.4 GB and System Data 14 GB. Fortunately, it’s not my primary iPad so it’s not that big a deal for me.

Reactions: Funny Apple Man

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Don’t buy the basic iPad. It’s not worth it 3gb of ram isn’t going to last. In a year or less you’ll be pulling your hair out wondering why the device is so slow. If you want any productivity what so ever go with the air or pro at least you can connect external drives if storage becomes an issue. Don’t buy the cheap iPad unless it’s a Netflix only device. 🧐

Reactions: fermer

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I had these very same thoughts yesterday. I ended up getting the iPad Air 5 256GB with student discount which gave me the £80 gift card which I then used to purchase the pencil 2 for just £26. So far I like it and don’t regret the choice between this and the pro. I know the pro has the 120hz display but do I really need that and the other slightly better features day to day. No. Save yourself the few hundred. This is a perfectly capable device.

Last edited:

sr6der

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2022
I had these very same thoughts yesterday. I ended up getting the iPad Air 5 256GB with student discount which gave me the £80 gift card which I then used to purchase the pencil 2 for just £26. So far I like it and don’t regret the choice between this and the pro. I know the pro has the 120hz display but do I really need that and the other slightly better features day to day. No. Save yourself the few hundred. This is a perfectly capable device.
how does that work? did you recieved two shippments? do you have to wait for the ipad and then purchase the pencil in 2 shipments?

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
how does that work? did you recieved two shippments? do you have to wait for the ipad and then purchase the pencil in 2 shipments?
The iPad was an online order to pick up in store. The gift card came a few moments after my order was ready to pick up so when I got to store to collect I simply showed and redeemed the gift card in store for the pencil and paid the remaining.

sr6der

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2022
The iPad was an online order to pick up in store. The gift card came a few moments after my order was ready to pick up so when I got to store to collect I simply showed and redeemed the gift card in store for the pencil and paid the remaining.
Thanks for answering. I already bougth the ipad air and paid courier delivery for tomorrow but havent recieved the gift card yet. The best snenario is for the gift card to arrive today so that I can purchase the pencil before they ship the ipad. will see.
store pick up is not an option for me cuz Im not even in the same country. Im delivering it to a friend and dont want to make him go himself to the store cuz hes really bussy.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
i think part of the question is also whether you need accessories or not? as someone who recently got the 64gb base ipad, i do wish i already had more storage.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I would definitely go for the Air 5 - they are nice. Just looked at one for my daughter. We did a comparison of my old 2018 11" iPad Pro and her iPad 6th gen (2018) and the difference is big. The laminated screen compared to non. I did get her the 256 gb, but she is a graphic artist in training (almost 15). Her Safari on her old iPad was almost unusable - we could not get YouTube to even load properly. I wanted to do a video comparison between the 2 type of screens for her. We already know that Procreate will work so much better on the Air 5 - it also beats my 2018 iPP....

fermer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Canada
I decided to hold off buying an iPad at the moment, even though if I would have bought one, it would have been the iPad Air 64gb.

As many of you know, there are rumors circulating now that Apple might have an October event where they are planning to release a redesigned iPad that will look similar to the iPad Air and Pro versions and will have less of a notch. It is only two months of wait, and since I will be spending $600 on a device, I'd much rather buy an iPad that I will enjoy using for a few years and will have less remorse buying. I am aware that there will always be a new release around the corner. However, buying an iPad in October would give me more and better options to choose from.

Appreciate again all the helpful replies.

Reactions: Technerd108

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Take sound into account as well if you intend to use the iPad to watch videos and movies. The higher the level of iPad, the better its speakers are going to sound.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As many of you know, there are rumors circulating now that Apple might have an October event where they are planning to release a redesigned iPad that will look similar to the iPad Air and Pro versions and will have less of a notch.
iPads don't have notches; what notch are you talking about?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I decided to hold off buying an iPad at the moment, even though if I would have bought one, it would have been the iPad Air 64gb.

As many of you know, there are rumors circulating now that Apple might have an October event where they are planning to release a redesigned iPad that will look similar to the iPad Air and Pro versions and will have less of a notch. It is only two months of wait, and since I will be spending $600 on a device, I'd much rather buy an iPad that I will enjoy using for a few years and will have less remorse buying. I am aware that there will always be a new release around the corner. However, buying an iPad in October would give me more and better options to choose from.

Appreciate again all the helpful replies.
Smart choice. Since you seem to like the entry level iPad if you bought it now you would regret your decision when a complete redesign comes out in a few months.

The new entry iPad looks a lot better but it still has huge bezels. It may still have a non laminated display and won’t have p3 color gamut or True Tone. It will have a14 and most likely 4 gb ram which should be fast enough. If apple gives it a laminated display and keeps the headphone jack it just might be the perfect cheap iPad. However the air is still a lot nicer even with the redesign. M1 and 8 gb of ram make it a beast.

Good luck whatever you decide!

fermer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Canada
Smart choice. Since you seem to like the entry level iPad if you bought it now you would regret your decision when a complete redesign comes out in a few months.

The new entry iPad looks a lot better but it still has huge bezels. It may still have a non laminated display and won’t have p3 color gamut or True Tone. It will have a14 and most likely 4 gb ram which should be fast enough. If apple gives it a laminated display and keeps the headphone jack it just might be the perfect cheap iPad. However the air is still a lot nicer even with the redesign. M1 and 8 gb of ram make it a beast.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Thank you.
What initially put me off from getting the iPad Air was that I did not really found a huge improvement as for the Liquid Retina display compared to the regular 9th generation iPad's Retina display. I will be mainly streaming videos and doing basic web browsing. Will see what the new iPad that is planned for October will have to offer. I am sure it will be easier to make a decision once it comes out together with the iPad Pro. Sure there will be a lot of comparison reviews vs. the iPad Air which should also help me decide. The Apple Magic keyboard does look sleek as well and looks like it replaced the need for a PC/Laptop for many users.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Thank you.
What initially put me off from getting the iPad Air was that I did not really found a huge improvement as for the Liquid Retina display compared to the regular 9th generation iPad's Retina display. I will be mainly streaming videos and doing basic web browsing. Will see what the new iPad that is planned for October will have to offer. I am sure it will be easier to make a decision once it comes out together with the iPad Pro. Sure there will be a lot of comparison reviews vs. the iPad Air which should also help me decide. The Apple Magic keyboard does look sleek as well and looks like it replaced the need for a PC/Laptop for many users.
I find that interesting as the air gap drives me crazy. I feel the gap. Maybe I am crazy but it taps differently and feels hollow. I also hate when I see the edge of the screen and the gap is there. I am sure you have gotten used to it but coming from android tablets before I ever used an iPad they literally had fully laminated displays for years and going from a fully laminated display to an air gapped display felt like I was going back in time in a bad way. Like using an 8 track or cassette player over a cd. The air gap alone is why I could never get an original iPad. I remember when my wife had an older air and it used an air gapped display while my android tablet had a fully laminated display.

Anyway everyone is different and values different things. I hope you get whatever makes you happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.