Under the Tree or Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vapor, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Vapor macrumors member

Should I get an new macbook for the wife for Christmas or wait for mac expo and get her the Who Knows What Book? My budget is 1900.00 I just want to make sure she gets the best Lappy for the buck.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

MacBook - buy now
    MacBook Pro - wait until after the MacWorld Expo

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

As others will probably say, get it now if you need it now and wait if you can wait.

I would wait, but remember to put a 'placeholder' under the tree saying/showing that something is coming. If you don't, it won't matter what you get her cause right then there is nothing for her.

4. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I would say wait as well, because you never know what's going to come out at the MacWorld Expo.

I had an experience last year with my MBP on Christmas day. I was sure that I was going to get a MBP for Christmas and as I got to the last present and opened it up, I realized that it was a griddle top for our oven (very handy for eggs and breakfast). I was so dissappointed that it was the last present and I realized that I wouldn't be getting one. To make things worse the box for the griddle even had the same shape as a MBP box. My parents afterwards said, "Well, we don't have the money now so maybe sometime when you graduate." So as I was getting ready to go into the kitchen all bummed out, my dad came in with another large squarish box and handed it to me...suffice it to say, it was my MBP! I was soo happy! :D

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

6. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

Is here any idea what is coming..........most reports are all over the place

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Unless you are considering the rumored ultraportable, put it under the tree now. Nothing radical is going to happen to the MacBook in January.

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Well, it is for your wife. I would buy now. $1900 is a good budget. get the macbook and grab an iPod or something to go with it.

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Oh those wacky parents, hey? Congrats on the MBP...:D

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Wait the three weeks. Let her know what's coming. Decide on what to buy after everything from Expo is on the table. Then she can decide what's right for her. Just my two cents. I love opening presents on Christmas, but the computer she wants will be there for her a long, long time...

11. originalcliche macrumors member

Dude ...

Get her a macbook for christmas. Because seriously think about this. If you want to get her a MBP because of speed or whatever, what is she really gonna use the computer for. PLus think about how happy she will be christmas day when there is something under the tree for her to open and then you know what you'll be getting after that. It wont have the same effect as her getting a card that says, ill buy you a macbook if mac world has a new one comming out and if they dont then ill get you the one i should of got for you in the first place. Also really, is she gonna want the latest and greatest, and the macbook is still very sexy and very new, or is she gonna want something under the tree.

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Unless she is an :apple:geek like the rest of us and want the latest greatest thang, I agree with Originalcliche - have her MB under the tree!!! Besides, chances are sooooo slim for any changes to the MacBook in January.

13. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Here's my suggestion. Try to get out of her what her prefererences are. If she prefers a bigger screen size, get her the base MBP. If she doesn't care about that, get her the mid-range MacBook. Then give her the remaining $500 to accessorize - sleeve, bag, mouse, cover. I would even take some of that money and get some RAM to upgrade to 2 GB.

14. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

If she really needs it, buy it.

Just remember Mac World is conveniently 3 weeks away, which means if something comes out that is better, you won't be able to return it because it will be longer than the 2 week period that Apple allows returns.:confused:

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm going to give you advice that no one has probably thought to give you yet: ask her. I know, I know, it ruins the surprise. However, if you think about the nature of this purchase (it's a rather large one) and how often she'll use her computer (everyday) don't you think her input is needed?

I know it isn't as "special" if she knows she's getting it, but who cares? Unless you have a great deal of money to throw around, don't buy her something she might not want just two weeks later.

Ask her what she wants first, that's my advice. :eek:

16. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

She knows she is getting it. She has a ts 150 sony 10.4 inch and loves it but I think even she knows now it is a little small. It is just worn out. Will the mac book have enough horsepower to import avchd files into imovie and then watch at 30 fps. That would be the only real high demand processing she would do. Yes she has been known to get her geek on, Iphone her own xbox 360 ect.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

The new MacBooks compared to the MBPs processor-wise are pretty much identical. GPU wise, the MBPs blow the MacBooks out of the water, but the MacBook's GMA X3100 is pretty decent. It is somewhere inbetween the power line of a ATI X1300 and X1600, which is nice, and it takes less energy, and runs cooler than the MBPs.

Importing anything to iMovie will be fast and easy.

18. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

I am starting to wonder if the new ?book is going to be like the asus eeee?

19. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I would buy her something small, or maybe a few smaller gifts for Christmas day and let her know that you just want to wait until after January to make sure she gets the best- women definitely appreciate that kind of thought more than any present you could buy her.

20. nightelf macrumors 6502

I would wait and place a pic of a MacBook/MBP in an envelope.

21. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Those are some awesome parents. I don't know any who could pull off a good joke like that.

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Most of the posts in this thread are from people (guys) already waiting to see if they'll be able to afford whatever Beta Apple drops in January. If you want to get your wife a computer, I'd suggest getting her the Macbook now. She isn't going to care about the difference between what's out now and what's out in a month; what will matter most to her will be the new computer you got her. If she doesn't already post on MacForums, she's not going to appreciate an empty box with a "three more weeks, baby!" note in it. Think like a husband, and not like a Mac geek.

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

So, it's Christmas Eve Vapor... What route did you go with?:rolleyes:

24. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

This person knows what he is talking about Vapor, wish I thought of this. Sometimes our love of Macs, iPods, and iPhones messes up our thinking of our love ones.

Vapor you just need to make it to the Apple store before it closes, everything closes early today. :cool: Good Luck!

25. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Thanks for sharing that. If only all of us could be that fortunate. :rolleyes: