understanding wifi...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saladiro, May 14, 2008.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Hi, to the best of my knowledge, wifi is another form of internet connection for the iPhone. I believe EDGE is the current (with the option to switch)

with wifi turned on, how does it basically work? eg...i walk into a wifi area, eg starbucks, (which has wireless internet) and my phone switches from EDGE to WIFI automatically...

do most of u guys leave wifi option on? i was told that it drains battery power

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

For the most part I do - unless I know I am not going to be using it. But I don't see a tremendous battery hit leaving it on - unless I am doing some heavy duty surfing or downloading from the iTMS.

SCR

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I leave it on. Too much hassle to turn on and off all the time.

4. Oceansized macrumors member

I just turn it on when I wanna look for an unsecured network or when I know I'm gonna be able to connect to a WiFi spot. Pointless leaving it on when I know I don't need it. it does effect the battery quite a lot because the phone is basically searching for something to connect for as long as it's turned on.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I leave mine on all the time…

Some Hotspots work better than other in the "seamless connect" department… :eek:

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

speaking of wifi access, if you go to, say, starbucks, can you actually get to use their wifi hotspot or do you need some sort of contract?
    same with airports, and other "public" but not open spots.

7. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

This is easily searchable everywhere, but, to help you get started:

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I leave mine on all the time. I recharge every night. When the phone sees wifi access is available it will pop up a window with the name of the access point and ask if you want to join it. This may be for open access points only. When I get home it automatically connects to the home wifi network (it remembers the password).

9. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Wow, some of you guys just haven't been keeping up with the news have you?

Also here

and here

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Starbucks is a special case; see other posts for coming access.

As for airports, not many have free access. Newburgh, LaGuardia, Newark, Raleigh, Memphis... all wanted payment.

If you traveled a lot, you'd probably want to join one of those country-wide WiFi contracts. Or better yet, get a 3G phone with unlimited data.

11. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

12. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

tks!

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Faster than 3G

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Faster than 3G. Much faster.

WiFi and wireless are two terms for the same thing.

15. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

ahhh...so the new iPhone with 3G is just basically going to have a faster mobil network connection....unless one stumbles upon a wifi spot

think I got now

16. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Exactly! :)

17. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

cool.....appreciate the crash coarse.....:apple:

18. mrJnC macrumors regular

FWIW, using iphonenetworktest.com, I've never observed an iPhone WiFi result better than about 1Mb/sec. Their average WiFi speed is only about 685 kb/sec. ... no where near 802.11b or g for that matter.

In fact, the so called "3G iPhone" test where someone connects to their 3G notebook basestation via iPhone WiFi maxs out at around 1Mb/sec, implying the result is bottlenecked by the WiFi on the iPhone.

Some folks have claimed better speeds at bandwidthplace.com, but still only about 2Mb/sec and far short of WiFi b/g specification. I wasn't able to obtain those speeds.

:confused:

19. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Wi-fi and internet speeds are 2 different things. If you have a wireless N on a 56k dial-up connection, going to one of those sites will not read faster than dial-up. So most of the time the wifi is fast, its the internet connection that is slow.

20. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I leave my wifi on most of the time with an exception; the county I live in has municipal wireless, and it sucks. Also, it's a captive portal design, which means I have to open a browser and log into it. Drives me nuts when Im driving and come into range of it, as EDGE shuts off when it picks up the wifi signal, but email won't check until I open the damn browser and login. Very aggravating. I know there's a "forget this network" feature, but it's kinda useless in this scenario. There needs to be a way to specify networks to NEVER join. That would be very helpful.

21. mrJnC macrumors regular

I realize that and I assure you I'm not using dial-up. :rolleyes:

WiFi connections via the same access points and high speed modems that I used for the iPhone tests, range from 6.8 to 30 Mb/sec when accessed from a computer using 802.11g protocol. (Speed delta between the two is due to home vs. work connections.)

The combined pipe (WiFi + high speed modem) supports at least 6.8 Mb/sec. Yet the iPhone WiFi never gets above 1.2 Mb/sec at either site.

22. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Well IMO (no facts to back it up) the chip the the iPhone uses wouldn't be as powerful as one say a laptop uses, because of smaller size, design, antennas, etc. I'd say it's very possible that the iPhone has a bottleneck when it comes to internet speeds.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Let me see if I can help out more.

The iPhone now has EDGE, which is technically 2.5G and maxes out around 4x dial-up speed (about 200kbps). 3G is faster, but it's still nowhere near as fast as you can get from DSL or cable. I think right now you can probably get about 1Mbps (1,000kbps), but AT&T has talked of upgrading it to 20Mbps in the future.

WiFi is only as fast as the connection it's linked to. I would guess most businesses offering free WiFi will get you at least 768kbps. Some probably go up to 1.5Mbps or 3Mbps. But if other people are using it, you won't get the full speed of it. However, it's probably going to be faster than EDGE.

The iPhone switches between them to save network bandwidth (EDGE and 3G are limited much more than landlines) and to speed you up. You can only buy music from the phone via WiFi, and that's probably going to be the same with the App Store. I switch pretty seamlessly between EDGE and WiFi if I have already set up a connection, and sometimes when I haven't. You usually just have to put in a password once if it's a protected/secured network.

The one problem you will run into is sending mail. Some people, like BellSouth/AT&T, don't like you sending your e-mail from off their outgoing server. I basically have to send outgoing mail from that account using EDGE because I'd rather be able to send slower than have to switch crap around when I'm at home. I hope the next firmware allows you to have different server settings based on your connection. Anyway, that's the main complication you should know about.

/end brain dump/

24. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

in regards to your last point, if the new iphone has 3G, i can send email with out a problem,

if I am in a wifi zone, i have to switch back to 3G/EDGE inorder to send mail

thats not cool....

so this wifi, lest say at my local borders is basically only going to benefit my internet surfing....and will give me mail problems (possibly)

do i have this right?

(seems like a pain in the but, if I am on wifi surfing, then want to send an email)....then again...if the powers that be (AT&T) dont want email on their network, what can i do....

even at home, on my own network, that I pay for, i will run into this email problem?