Underwhelmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealAlex, Sep 22, 2015.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

So Today 9-22 one person gets their 6s Early and all embargos get lifted coincidence ?? Hmm or part of the embargo terms (other people posting everyone gets to post terms)

Anyways. You guys are more than capable of going on YouTube and Hitting the Today Filter.

So far all the reviews go like this.

#1. Only Apple Apps and a few 3rd party support 3D Force Touch you don't need it and you forget its there.
    #2. if you got a 16GB version you are skrewed. Live Photos take up alot of memory
    #3. Its a great phone But it already was.

No oomph no hype, no OMG this is amazing. Just pffft.

so in one word Underwhelmed.

PS there seems to be a brewing controversy about 4K video quality, I'm coining the phrases CameraGate and 4KGate. Twitter hashtags will be up soon.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

3. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

4. SamB14 macrumors newbie

This is my first iPhone coming over from Lagdroid so I am pretty excited!

5. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

The reviews I've seen have been really positive. One of the reviews say that they found it hard to go back to the old screens after getting used to the 3D Touch.
    They all say that both the cameras are a big improvement so it's a great update for photographers.
    The only thing I've seen mixed opinions on is the Live Photos.
    I upgrade every year and I don't feel underwhelmed at all. In fact I think this is one of the more exciting years, but that's just my opinion. You can't please everyone every time! If you don't like it, skip it this year.

6. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Do any of those points surprise you at all?

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Good! Less people to deal with at my 1pm reservation on Friday!;)

8. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Have you read the same reviews? Its also stated in almost all reviews this is the fastest phone ever. Didn't read once that 3d touch was forgettable.

9. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Well, the phone is not released to everyone yet. Wait till developers get their hands on it and we should see more support in a couple of months.
    This should be a common knowledge. Nothing new here.
    Unlike before, we will only see incremental updates in the future.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

And in some of those same reviews claim it's the best phone out there

Sadly all this thread comes off like is a troll thread. If it's not for you cool...but for millions it will be perfect.

11. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Why do you consistently obsess over attempting to troll this board? You're not good at it.

12. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

You are strange. You think the embargo date wasn't determined months ago?

The reviews are overwhelming that this is the best phone ever made.

Yes, agreed, this is an absolute troll thread.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

Yeah screw that nearly double performance thing! It's all about looking cool yo.

14. sterl320 macrumors 6502

15. urkel macrumors 68030

I think hes quoting what was said on the verge which was a valid point. It isn't universally implemented yet so its a cool feature that you may forget about until more support is available. (Just like with TouchID or Siri in the past. People tend to forget about features if they dont perform exactly as expected so 3D Touch will feel more natural next generation as more Apple products and apps support it)

Anyway I dont necessarily agree with the OP's tone but I do agree that its not the major upgrade that people claim it is. I think its a solid device and in a market that has leveled off years ago then I think Apple did just enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

why else do I buy a phone.

[​IMG]

17. aesc80, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Dude, seriously ... you've been trying to coin "-Gate" for the LONGEST time. Heck, one dude even called you out that you were doing this.

First, you weren't happy that you can't "show off" an iPhone 6S because you'd have to have a pink iPhone and you thought it was not manly. Then you said the retail value would suffer because it's pink. Now you're saying you're underwhelmed. As far as I know it, you've never been on to begin with. Instead, you come on to complain, complain, complain, about everything, then "OMG, it's not the sh*t". Seriously, hashtags and "gating" doesn't make you a superstar. Complaining, just to complain, doesn't make you awesome, it makes you a whiner. You're free to your own opinion, but seriously ... we get it.

18. ImanIphone macrumors newbie

Going from a 6 to a 6S+, so that is my "oomph!"

19. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I might not have upgraded if I didn't want to go down to the 4.7" size. However the performance improvements—specifically increased RAM are what sell it for me. iOS 9 has helped to a decent extent, but nothing beats being able to multitask quickly on my iPad Air 2. Especially between Safari tabs. That's a huge upside to me. The better camera is icing on the cake. 3D Touch is interesting but I think it will get much more interesting over time. The long-term success, IMO, really hinges on 3rd party developers incorporating it.

Having used an iPhone 6 Plus for the past year, I must say that many developers haven't done anything new or different with the larger screen on this device. There are almost no apps that support the extra column in landscape view. Most apps just updated to see more content in portrait, which is ok, but not what I was hoping for. I hope developers don't forget about 3D Touch like they did landscape views on the Plus. I'm hoping they don't since it's supported across both devices.

The improved FaceTime cam is neat. I haven't taken selfies much in the past, but now that I have a kid I find myself wanting to snap a photo with them more often when I'm out and about. I usually just turn my phone around and use my usually good aim to take a photo. But it will be nice to have a decent camera on the front to frame up shots without worrying about the quality being really bad. 4K video will be great for creating archival footage of my kid. I'm sure 4K will look a lot better than 1080p on our wall sized TVs when she is older. The 6 was my first device with TouchID and I always wished it was just a little faster. So the speed there will be appreciated.

Basically the phone has lots of little helpful things that that make the experience that much better. A brand new method of interacting quickly with iOS. A camera where you can zoom without losing much quality. Speed that bring it on par with low-end MacBooks. It's a solid upgrade. What more would you want? This isn't a redesign year.

20. Macsidia macrumors regular

Macsidia

I would start a topic called 'Overwhelmed' but I'm too lazy.

21. CYKBC macrumors 6502

I just returned the 6 and picked up another new sim free 5s.

I don't want a thicker, heavier 6.

Screen quality is the same.

I don't need the extra features as I hardly shoot video and 3D Touch needs some time to bake into he ecosystem.

22. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Even if no other third party apps supported it for months, it'll still be freaking cool the way it was demoed in Messages, Mail, Safari, etc. But we all know third party apps will be quick to adapt.

And check this out: https://twitter.com/panzer/status/646424443405729792/video/1

Yes please!

They take up a little more, sure. But if you're the kind of person that's going to be taking lots of photos, you're not the kind of person that's going to get a 16GB phone. This isn't a good example.

I'm am super excited to get my phone on friday. Pay attention to the details, not just the little bullet points. Faster performance, faster Touch ID, 3D Touch, improved camera (12 MP while retaining color/lack of noise, 4K video, OIS in video for the Plus, etc), faster WiFi, faster LTE. I'm stoked.

There's no controversy. Just combination of people that don't know how to upload 4K video without compression combined with people that are trying to watch 4K video on displays that can't present 4K video natively. The keynote showed native 4K video shot from the 6S and it was amazing.

EDIT:
    As an example, I have one display in my house that can present native 4K and that's my new iMac with the 5K display. Watching 4K video on anything else isn't going to give a real representation, period.

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Funny..... Your thread title pretty much sums up my reaction to this post.......

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

And don't forget the trackpad mode for editing text. I'm really happy to see this.

25. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Yeah, the link I included in my post showed that in action. :D