Underwhelming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Z8beema, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Was anyone else completed underwhelmed by what apple put on the table yesterday? I am an apple fan boy by all standards but I was just extremely disappointed. Not one thing had been new in the sense of never done before. I mean it wasn't don't before by Apple but in general some other competitor had done everything they presented yesterday. Iphone with force (3d) touch. It's been done. 12 mega pixels has been done. Apple TV with voice search and apps- done. Bigger tablet with a stylus (pencil) done. Absolutely nothing new at all. Feel free to call me out. Or correct me.

2. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Here come the generic boring topics of how people are 'underwhelmed' and 'disappointed'. What exactly did you expect, an iPhone that can wipe your arse and spoon feed you?
    I would say this was one of the better 'S' cycle upgrades as force touch is a major new feature.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

****'s sake, I mean, I took issue with all that you said, but this one surprised me the most.

You'd have been the same person complaining if they had left it at 8MP.

"Upgraded hardware has been done before, how dare they". Do you hear yourself?

4. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Were you underwhelmed at the 5S as well? All that really added was touch ID.

4S was Siri - and a very bad beta version of Siri at that.

I think the thing I'm excited for is 2GB ram if that is indeed the case.

5. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Fair comment I suppose but I just feel that Apple has made much greater leaps and has had better innovation in the previous year. Honestly not trying to troll or anything but really what stood out besides force touch? They did not wow me in anyway. They didn't show me anything I haven't seen before. I understand this seems like another "I'm underwhelmed / disappointed" thread but I'm honestly asking did anything blow you away or wow you in such a way that you would move onto any of the new products? For me the answer is no

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

What other phones have 3D touch?

It's been "done" in the same way that fingerprint scanners were "done" before Touch ID. In other words, poorly.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why do people feel they need to think a company can make huge improvements in one year? when you have a great product you can't make it even more amazing..there comes a time in tech where how much better can it get?

3D touch, live photos, better chip, better camera and likely more ram is a very good upgrade for the S cycle.

8. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

But those were exciting. An "assistant" that you could talk to and have the phone work on its own and touch I'd was special too because not only was it a new fun coll security feature but (I thought) it would lead to greater things like touch to pay which is also convenient and cool

9. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I mean, what were you expecting? Some people have unrealistic expectations.

10. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Yes, the truth is -- there isn't a lot they can do to "truly" wow us. It's just more of the same.

11. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I can agree with he fact that it hasn't been perfected yet

12. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

E
    Expecting something to excite me to want to buy the new products

13. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I thought the 12mp camera was pretty awesome. Apple-quality camera with more megapixels? Count me in. Those pictures they took with it were gorgeous. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that this should have been done earlier.

14. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I agree 100% that they are a little late to the party. But honestly thst was the one thing IT. he whole presentation that I wish I had in my iPhone 6

15. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Why do we get this thread every year. Its a phone. Things cannot change much per iteration just like a car. The only thing people want is the new shiny design or the new reg plate when it comes to cars. The were plenty of improvements yesterday, some small but improvements nonetheless.

16. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Other than over double the CPU power from the iP6 and 90% more graphics performance in one gen? And the iP6's CPU was already creaming octacore Android phones.

I mean heck, it didn't blow my mind. But there was actually a less greater leap from the iPhone 5S to the 6 in terms of specs, they just added a bigger screen and a flexing body.

17. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

If you aren't excited then just don't buy them. They aren't going to put something out that thrills everyone every year. I think the force touch screen is pretty exciting, but if you can't find any reason to upgrade then it sounds like you'll be perfectly happy with your current device.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, you are free to move on and not purpose the phone. Also Apple isn't about major world shaking updates. just look at all their updates. Each on is a small improvement, why wouldn't the 6s be any different.

I think the issue is really people start buying into the hype and raise their expectations beyond what reasonable. The 6s is a clear improvement on the 6 in a number of ways. What more could you ask of them.

I'll close up with what specific additions do you want that apple didn't provide?

19. Skoal macrumors 65816

As far as "S" cycles go id say this one is one of if not the best bump up. A yearly cycle can't produce world shattering innovation without seriously jeopardizing stability and Apple (and all the others) are in this yearly cycle of updating OS and hardware to the point they're always nearly in beta.

This is the first S phone I think I'll upgrade for. The processor alone has me excited. 3D Touch will make usability WAY more convenient.

20. pika2000 macrumors 68030

People that think this is underwhelming probably doesn't even know a thing about technology, and all they see is just appearance.
    1. Go look into what the A9 (or even the A8) can do. If you are a person that only judge book by its cover, well, just buy a new phone during the non-S cycle
    2. The A9X to me may not be the real game changer today (although it is a huge performance jump, but hey, people only judge by appearance), but it might be the starting of a turning point for a completely new class of products. Right now, the iPad Pro is a test bed (this is after all the first time Apple has a stylus support). It is still a huge deal, and I can't wait for the same tech to be on the regular iPad (12" is too big for me).
    3. The technology behind the camera of the 6S and getting the ISP to have an algorithm that work just right are no easy feats. Go look at various Android phones that have superior camera hardware but crap result (yes Sony, I'm looking at you, where you cannot even make good pictures out of your own sensor). That shows you the "magic" in the software algorithm, and Apple seems to always give the best balance. Heck, my OnePlus One technically has a "better" camera than my iPhone 5, but I enjoy the experience on the iPhone 5 more.
    4. The new Apple TV is not about the tech per se (although having a glass trackpad on the remote itself is an intriguing design and technology, but hey, innovation = different outside appearance, right?), but it is about leveraging the iTunes content and relationship that Apple has been building. I don't personally care about it, but if Apple can push this internationally (not just US centric), it can be quite big.

With many comments saying that the recent announcements were "underwhelming," it confirms me that most people, even those that claim they are geeky or techie, only judge things by the appearance.

21. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

To answer many, I guess I have exactly what I want in my hand. I have the iPhone 6. I know i can jump ship and move to another brand at any time I get that I guess idk what I wanted in a phone that I didn't already have and was looking at this announcement as kind of a prove to me why I need a new phone and they didn't prove it to me. I see apple going the way of Samsung and just doing things to please the masses. Although they do not make us the beta users I just have a feeling of them selling out and no longer innovating. Samsung made a big phone for years... Apple finally does it. Samsung makes a giant tablet....Apple does it. The direction they are going in scares me. Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave knowing they developed a stylus...sorry pencil. He was quoted at one time saying why do we need a stylus we were born with 10. I guess I was just looking for too much too soon and need to temper my expectations

22. newmacuser14 macrumors member

OP is right, the phone was underwhelming. Typical Apple fan boys have to jump down his throat for speaking the truth.

23. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

The S models are usually like that. Wait til the 7 comes out.

24. Orangeman13 macrumors regular

Orangeman13

the problem with the 7 is that the numbered series always seems to have a major "gate" with it. the advantage of getting the "s" series is that they fix everything that was wrong with the last model

25. redman042 macrumors 68020

People need to stop listing individual specs as justification for comments like this. With Apple, the advantage is how well and consistently everything works together. On a Samsung, their equivalent of 3D Touch would just work in a few limited ways. On the iPhone, it will work seamlessly and consistently across all native apps.

The advantage is how it all comes together. You can't list specs and get that across. Either you prefer how the iPhone works and feels or you don't.