Undocumented feature (maybe) for Email syncro

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rezwits, Oct 24, 2014.

1. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

This is awesome but I don't know why it's doing this but my iPhone and Macs are doing this:

I have a cable modem email address that is a POP account. The most annoying thing is that previously I would get a few spam emails to the POP account, not my IMAP iCloud email.

The iCloud emails (IMAP) if I read or deleted them, that would be reflected on my Macs. Now the miscellaneous spam/or other emails, I get, on the POP account, are synchronized on my Macs/and iPhone, which all run iOS 8.1 or 10.10! Basically if I delete them on any device they are gone on the others!

Freakin' awesome!!

I wasn't expecting this behavior at all, but it's there, YES! YES!! YES!!!

I didn't do anything to set this up so I don't know what to tell you to do to activate this but it seems to be automatically turned on. AWESOME!!

Laters...

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

all my email accounts (gmail, yahoo and Outlook Exchange) have always done this...

3. NeoX360 macrumors member

That's because all those type of accounts are IMAP/ exchange which support these features on the server. POP does not support this which is why the OP is bringing it out.

OP: I would check your settings again and see what you have for removing messages from the server. Of course, it is a possibility that it is some how syncronizing it, but it doesn't seem likely as POP just doesn't work that way.

Were they downloaded to all the other devices when you deleted it?
    Hear is a good test:
    Send a test message to that account, go to all devices and make sure the message is downloaded then read it on one device so it is marked as read. Refresh the mail accounts and check it on the other devices. Is it marked read on all? Then delete it and again refresh then check it in the other devices. Is it removed on all?

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

5. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

You are right! (damn kinda)

If I get the emails on all of the machines (3 macs), then goto my iPhone and delete that email it doesn't get rid of it.

But if get it on my iPhone and goto the inbox in time and delete it before the others download it, they can't download it, I guess, but delete from server is not turned on...

Weird, the only other thing I can think of is that the junk mail filter flag as junk is kicking in... idk

sucks I hate pop! oh well maybe the junk filtering is working in tandem. I'll keep an eye out when I get a few more junk mails, cause it didn't work with the ones I sent to myself.

Laters...