Uneven Lighting on MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpaceJello, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

i am curious how prevelant this problem is, i have a mbp and seen others at the applestore and friends many have the ever common uneven lighting (usually brighter) towards the bottom of the screen.

Yes, I have read that its common for LCDs to have that reflection effect but has anyone ever brought in their screens to apple for repairs or change because of this? Its just getting rather annoying when doing design work or anything that requires consistency in color.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I did reject the first MBP I bought because of a quarter size light spot in upper corner. This one's pretty even, except for it being lighter along the bottom. It's about the same as my PB G4 17". As far as I know, a portable display only has illumination along the bottom edge, so it's impressive the rest of teh screen is as even as it is. The rest of the screen is even - as even as a notebook screen can be. If you've done image editing on an LCD, you've seen the change in brightness and saturation as you change the vertical angle. I've always just found the best view angle and been consistent when doing those sorts of image adjustment.

Overall, it's a very sharp, even display.

If you are buying at an Apple Store, they will allow you (after purchasing it) to examine it in the store (I know of three in my area that will let the customer do it - if there's any hesitation, just speak with the manager). They probably won't let you "go through" more than one or two at the most, but should have any problem if one you open is obviously defective.

There are literally hundreds of posts on the MBP displays. Best thing is to go look at them (the screens).

btw - my 17" MBP C2D is matte

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

there will always be a lighter stripe at the bottom, it's where the light scome from :D

4. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

HAha "its where the light comes from"?
    aren't LCDs supposed to be "backlite" :p

5. santanablank macrumors newbie

I have uneven lights as well.

Here is mine.
    I am going to take it to the Service to see what's happening.

2 months a go I claimed the LCD due to so many dead pixels, but then now the screen looks like this.

This hapens when I plug the megsafe adapter.

I have MBP133 (Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Penryn Early 2008)

Anyone has similar experience? Is it logic/Video or the LCD problem?

Thanks all

Attached Files:

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

That is a fairly common LCD defect found in your generation of MBP. Apple typically is replacing those screens. Good friend of mine had her LCD replaced for the exact same issue.