Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'll leave my two cents.

Then shouldn't all comments about Wal-Mart be removed? It just looks to me that most of the pro-Wal-Mart comments are being left alone while most anti-WM comments are being stripped from the discussion.

I didn't follow all the moderation in this case closely, but .... it seems like this because for whatever reason the anti-WM comments broke the rules or strayed into PRSI topics.

It's the same reason that Hackintosh discussions get shut down so often, because it tracks closely with piracy of Mac OS X. Not because we are necessarily anti-Hackintosh, but we are anti-piracy.

So, is it possible that one point of view is more suppressed than others? Sure, but only in that that point of view is more correlated with breaking the rules or digressing into PRSI discussions.

For the same reason, when there were the Jay-Z rumors about Apple, I think the anti-rap discussions were moderated more than the pro-rap comments. Not because we here are "pro-rap" perse, but because several of the anti-rap comments devolved into racist comments, which we simply don't allow.

From my point of view, no moderation at all is better than biased moderation.

That is your opinion and one that is not shared by the majority of the people. This forum was relatively unmoderated in its early days. Many threads simply became cussing matches.

arn

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Every now and again someone gets a bee in their bonnet about the moderation around here, not the first and certainly won't be the last.

As one who has had posts deleted (rightfully so I might add), and had my motives questioned on occasion (thanks for checking with me directly Doctor Q and BV), I have to say that the Mods do a thankless job, and they do it well. It takes time and the patience of Job. They are only human after all. They have been very responsive when I have reported posts or threads for various things, and I am pleased with the way they handle things. I was not a part of the Walmart thread, but I have seen enough in the PRSI to know how a spark can turn into a wildfire before you can blink.

Kudos to the Mods, I say... I for one would NOT come here if it was unmoderated in the fashion mentioned above, and I think many others feel the same.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
No surprise. The responses to this so far have been dismissive.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong; I didn't know the thread existed.

The reason perhaps the response perhaps seems strong to you is twofold; 1) You are indirectly saying 'the mods didn't do their job correctly here', and in the same way I wouldn't like everyone at work hearing something like that (true or not), the mods don't like hearing it here. Secondly, it looks like a number of mods were involved, so it's 1 vs ??.

Like I said, I've no clue who (if anyone) is 'right'. I just think taking it further is going to be an uphill struggle for you, so good luck!

AppleMatt

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
The forums are huge, the mods as they have said, have a massive job which they need to streamline to some degree.

The mods in your opinion may get it wrong sometimes, as I have been victim of, as well as probably a few other of the more active members. Thats an unfortunate part of the forums which is unavoidable but is for the greater good.

The mods aren't perfect, but they generally do a really good job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.