Unfixable Mac Mini challenge

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by stevejoneshbs, Oct 26, 2010.

1. stevejoneshbs macrumors newbie

My Mac Mini, running windows server 2003 (I know!) has crashed

Diagnosed the fault to either hard drive or corrupt OS - So I though, no problem, just re-install Mac OS (Don't need theWin anymore)

All boot scenarios I can think of give me the same result - A windows Black screen saying no boot drive - please insert

Tried SMC - Booting from CD, Safe boot - Taking OUT the hard drive and booting from CD - Taking out the battery - Target disk mode - Safe Mode - Booting from an external - Even left a tempting packet of custard creams next to the mouse overnight

No response to keyboard commands held down at all (T, shift, alt, pram etc)

My thing is this - With no battery, no hard drive and No CD - How can the Mac posibbly still think it's a windows machine?

I would say there is no such thing but is this an unfixable Mac - ?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

If you are using the Apple aluminum keyboard, especially with a "roughly 2006" model Mini, I'd borrow any random USB PC keyboard and try the keyboard commands again with that.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

pull the ram sticks. use a ram stick from a mini. and boot with an external hdd with a good osx on it. if there is no hdd in your home with a good osx on it I can mail one to you. as for the ram stick try owc. It is possible you fff'd up the firmware but I doubt it.