Unibody Bent Screen Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cole01, Dec 15, 2010.

1. cole01 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I was walking into my friends house the other night with my Macbook Pro in an Incase sleeve and it fell out of my hands and onto the concrete. I assume it landed on the edge of the screen and bent it inward. The screen and everything work properly and the issue is only cosmetic but it's driving me crazy. :mad:

I have an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow but would like to know how much Apple would charge for repair beforehand. If anyone has experience with this please chime in. Thanks. :apple:

Attached Files:

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It'll be a couple hundred dollars, since they have to replace the entire screen.

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

If I did that to my MAC I would want to hang myself! looks nasty!
    Hopefully it wont cost too much - although thsi is Apple we are talking about!
    Good luck!

5. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was really surprised that this happened since I was carrying it snugly in it's case. :(

I wasn't able to meet my appointment today but will be going tomorrow. Anticipating having to pay a couple hundred, ugh

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

what does it look like from the inner side (glass)?

7. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I took a pic for you. It even nicked a little piece above the power button but isn't rubbing at all. It looks like it would be able to be bent back somehow but I'm not expecting Apple to do it for me.

Attached Files:

8. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Double ouch.
    Good thing it didn't bend the base, that would be a bag of d*cks.
    Unless your incase was a hard sleeve, which it doesn't sound like it, it couldn't protect it. Soft sleeves protect from slight bumps and scratches not drops and concrete.
    Maybe you should also invest in a hard shell case?

Depending, this drop may have voided your applecare in the future.

9. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not a big fan of having my MacBook in a case all the time since both my iPad and iPhone are always cased. It's nice to have one Apple product naked haha. I'll probably invest in a soft case with some type of handle as this fall would've been completely avoided if I had one.

:eek: Yikes! That's what I'm worried about the most. I'd be really pissed if my extended AppleCare is void even after having it repaired by Apple. Does anyone know the probability of me being able to keep my warranty?

10. kdoughboy macrumors newbie

Are you by any chance a university student? A similar thing happened to my girlfriend's MBP (dented/bent case), and the Apple genius quoted her $800 for the repair AND said it would void her Applecare. Not wanting to spend $800 to void Applecare for her otherwise fine MBP, she (UCLA grad student) decided to take it to the on-campus Apple people, who quoted her $300 for the repair and no voided Applecare.

In all likelihood this doesn't apply to you, but if it does it's definitely worth checking out.

11. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

12. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry everyone, I haven't been able to go to the apple store yet since it's been raining so hard in socal. I hate going on the freeways, trying to avoid the bad drivers. I have an appointment set for tomorrow afternoon and am planning on going.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll only pay if it's 300 or under without voided applecare. Hopefully I get lucky!

13. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Not really that related but I'm wondering how those Genius work?

I mean won't they just have a look at your Macbook and the second they saw it was physically damaged they will put a record in the system to void the Apple Care?

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What my experience has been is that they won't void your warranty, but if you bring it in for something else they will force you to pay to repair the accidental damage before they honor the warranty. But based on what I've read in this thread it depends on who the genius is.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I think 200-300 to repair that damage would be a bargain. I expect that it would be much more than that.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mine has a couple of dings and scratches, but nothing like that... Aluminum is a soft metal, maybe they should add other metals to the mixture to strengthen it... Good luck!

17. tom1990 macrumors newbie

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

That would be an alloy...and there are already many aluminum alloys. But aluminum is still aluminum and the softness is a characteristic of aluminum. You can't just combine steel and aluminum because they are both metal.

19. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

There needs to be a change to these cases. They are scratched and bent way too easily. I have seen them get scratched by sliding them across a table and dirt in a backpack.

20. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Correct me if I am wrong... but if you bring something in damaged like the OP's laptop and even if you dont have them do the repair... don't they still mark it on the slip with the serial number and everything? SO wouldn't just taking it in and them seeing the damage void the warranty? I have never had this happen before but from what I hear from people thats how it works.

21. Individual macrumors member

It shouldn't cost anywhere near $800 to fix a screen, and that is what they tried to charge me as well. Greedy, greedy, greedy.

22. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

That is absurd for a cheaply made case. Get them to give you something in writing that the machine is working fine.

23. Shutterbug78 macrumors newbie

I'm also curious because I did a similar thing and the top corner of mine is bent. It isn't bad enough to drop several hundred but if it were reasonable, I'd fix it.

24. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

IIRC the display assembly is around 900 bucks in the US, on ebay you can get JUST the back aluminium piece for around 120 new (I'm still thinking of replacing mine:rolleyes:)
    that is of course, if you want to do the job yourself....