Unibody Keys touching screen :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by og1, Feb 16, 2009.

1. og1 macrumors regular

did a search and didnt come up with anything, so here goes...

just noticed this on my 2 week old unibody. i had always thought i could see under the keys more than i should be able to. anyhow compared it to a friends unibody and my keys definitely stick up more, which is why i think the transfer markings are getting on the screen. i can see perfect outline of the bottom 3 rows of my keyboard on the screen. before anyone says it, no pressure has ever been applied to the lid while closed.

kinda bummed. apple is doing a mail in repair since i am 180 miles from a retail store. anyone have experience with this issue? the few threads i found indicated people were just "dealing" with it. i have concerns about he long term effects/scratching the screen, is the only reason i am getting it fixed.

2. eldivino macrumors member

Im not sure but i have heard the same somewhere before. To bad you have to wait for the mail-in repair. Sucks!!!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Since keys are made from plastic and the only thing on them is the grease from your fingers. Then, the only long term effect you will see is a outlined keyboard on the screen if you don't clean it once on a while. Scratches are possible if you leave dirt on the keys, which I doubt you will ever have.

I also have key outlines in the screen, and yes, I am doing what you said "Dealing with it". However, you can call Apple and see what they say, you don't necessarily need to go to an Apple Store if Apple is a phone call away.

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It is an issue. :rolleyes:
    The keyboard constantly rubbing against the glass with dirt and dust on the keys can cause the screen to eventually scratch. This has been a problem with many powerbooks and macbooks. It's pretty common, but it doesn't happen to all 'books.

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

My non-unibody MBP does the same thing. Just be thankful yours is glass and easy to clean.

Furthermore, the little ridge on the metal part that sort of forms a gutter at the bottom edge of the keyboard has made a scratch in the plastic matte screen.

I don't put excessive force on my computer when it's closed - just whatever happens inside the neoprene sleeve plus padded laptop section of my backpack.

I consider it pretty much normal and not entirely unexpected.

7. og1 thread starter macrumors regular

uh yes it is a problem, even according to apple. also, when i can compare it to another unibody MBP and see a noticeable difference in key elevation in relation to the case, it is a problem. i can see way more under my keys than the one i compared it to. also his keys are flush with the palmrest, whereas mine are approx .5mm above it. the screen covers on these things are not like ordinary glass, they do scratch much easier. i am not going to find out a year from now that i have key sized squares scratched into my screen.

8. bay2sacto macrumors member

My keys on my late '08 MBP don't stick up above the tray but were still leaving a grease outline on my screen. I've fixed it by getting a Radtech ScreenSaverz protector. It also doubles as a screen cleaner. No more grease spots.

9. lordthistle macrumors 6502

They touch on my Unibody MBP. Same on my old early 08 MBP.
    Same on a dell my girlfriend has. Other laptops I have or had don't have this problem.

For me it is really annoying.

thistle

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

hmmm, i see your point. I think i have a similar problem as you. I thought everyone was the same. I don't know anyone else with a unibody so i'll have to go to best buy to check it out.

I have a clearguard on mine and i notice that the clearguard is leaving an impression on the screen. The clear guard is only supposed to be 0.1mm thick.

let us know what apple does for you. I JUST installed a bodyguardz on mine so i'd rather have them fix my current one than having to replace it.

11. RKpro macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=648950

Long story short, I had a MBP built in October, got it replaced 8 days ago because of a bad repair job for an unrelated issue. And the new unit built in late January has a noticeably less flexible lid, it bends less at the Apple logo, and keys feel softer, and lower down. As a result, I would estimate there are 90% less grease marks on screen. I haven't had to use the screen wipe yet...

12. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I always use the pad that comes between the keyboard and screen of the new notebook. There is a reason it's there in the shipping box.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

My unibody macbook pro screen is protected with power support anti-glare film. I can clean my screen with peace in mind.

14. lordthistle macrumors 6502

You find similar pads also on notebooks whose keys don't touch the screen. So I am not sure that's the reason... it's a way to use it.

- thistle

15. fil3333 macrumors member

its exactly for that reason. you are right not all screen are touching the keys but with a little pressure from above which can happen while transporting or carrying around many or most screens will touch the keys.....

16. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I repeat: that pad is given also with notebooks whose keys do not touch the screen, even when you push the screen (some producers just add 1mm). You can find similar pads in cell phones too.

So either some MBPs are defective or it's just bad design. A bad design you can live with, but still bad. I still remember how I used to laugh looking at the dirty screen on the Dell.

thistle

17. fil3333 macrumors member

ok :) however i used to work for a big computer company and they told me they put in the pads because the keys shouldnt touch the display and they want to keep out dust....

18. dL. macrumors 6502

Never had that happened on my white Macbook. I'll keep this in mind when I upgrade to aluminum one day! Thanks :)

dL

19. og1 thread starter macrumors regular

I just shipped it in today. Will update thread with results.

20. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I am not saying you are wrong.

I am just saying that the pads are almost a standard and that you actually find them in many pieces of hardware where you don't even need them. I have recently bought a Sony VAIO something and it had that pad. But it did not need it for what concerns keys touching the screen.

thistle

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It shouldn't touch the screen in theory but if pressure is applied to the lid, it might.

There is a solution...

Either invest into a silicon keyboard cover or place a microfibre cloth over the keyboard while your travelling with it. Either of them will prevent damage to the plexiglass - I prefer the latter! Cause you can use it to clean the display tooo!

22. og1 thread starter macrumors regular

well well as of this morning i got an email saying it was received by service center, logged in to find a status of "No Problem Found" and now its "Pending Return"

this sucks. not sure what i should do now.

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

Wipe it off, use a cloth in between the two if you're concerned :confused:

24. og1 thread starter macrumors regular

so i got a call from apple care wondering what exactly the original issue was since they couldnt see any marks on the screen WITH IT POWERED ON. i explained to them exactly what was the issue, to which the response was "oooohhh that makes sense now.' so he said they would either re-seat or replace the keyboard since it is definitely higher than normal.

25. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I've got a keyboard protector on mine which literally collects all the dust, and transfers it onto my screen when I shut the lid :p