Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Hey, my unibody macbook battery is 3 months old, and I have 121 cycles already done on it... I am kind of scared because that is quite alot if my battery dies and it is over 300 cycles then apple won't change it.

This same thing happened to my macbook last year except THANK GOD apple fixed it, on the last day of the warranty...

Anyways in istat it says 100% health, and in Power in System Profiler, it says Good. I'm still scared because the more cycles it gets the more the battery would wear down.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Who cares how many cycles you have. It's all about the health. Isn't it cover up to a year regardless of cycles?

I care about cycles :( and I kept reading posts in the forums on and on about this and its up to 300 cycles, and if it dies, they won't replace it even under warranty.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I believe Apple says they're good for about 1000 cycles, at which point it's still supposed to have 80% capacity. They will replace it if it goes below 50% capacity (during warranty period), so I think you have quite a while before you have to worry - even under warranty. If you want to replace it out of warranty, it's only $129 (IIRC).

edit: at your current rate, it looks like you'll hit 1000 cycles in a little over 2 years. You'll probably maintain > 50% capacity for the next year - so even with Apple Care, you should be good for well over the warranty period.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I believe Apple says they're good for about 1000 cycles, at which point it's still supposed to have 80% capacity. They will replace it if it goes below 50% capacity (during warranty period), so I think you have quite a while before you have to worry - even under warranty. If you want to replace it out of warranty, it's only $129 (IIRC).

edit: at your current rate, it looks like you'll hit 1000 cycles in a little over 2 years. You'll probably maintain > 50% capacity for the next year - so even with Apple Care, you should be good for well over the warranty period.

The 1000 cycle rating is only for the non-user serviceable, built in batteries in the "pro" models. The Unibody MacBook that was available from 10/08-the launch of the 13" UMBP carries the normal 300 cycles with >80% capacity warranty.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The 1000 cycle rating is only for the non-user serviceable, built in batteries in the "pro" models. The Unibody MacBook that was available from 10/08-the launch of the 13" UMBP carries the normal 300 cycles with >80% capacity warranty.

Ah - I was equating Unibody with the non-serviceable battery.

Anyway, even at that rate it'll probably make it the year (at 80%).

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
About a week ago I checked my cycle count and it was 93, it went up almost 30 cycles x-x I've been on windows 7 recently which is MIGHT be why, but still that is alot for 1 week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.