Unibody MacBook Pro: how to install firmware password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Why, you ask? I just bought Undercover (anti-theft software for my Macs) and now I'm trying to set a firmware password so the thief can't just wipe the HD and wipe the software off along with it. (as recommended by Orbicule, the developer)

link to their website

The Apple website tells me that the tool to install a firmware password should be on the Leopard install DVD, but it doesn't appear to be on there. (it should be in the /Applications/Utilities directory, but there is no such directory)

Anyone know how I can set a firmware password then?

(Yes, I know of the limitations a firmware password brings along, you don't have to warn me again. If I ever need to use one of those features, I'll quickly remove the password ... I assume the process is the same as installing a firmware password, right?)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Utilities is in the Menu Bar of the install disk when booted.

Or something like that. Look at the Menu Bar. It's there.

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac OS X installation disc includes the Firmware Password Utility, which you can use to enable an Open Firmware or EFI password.
    To use the Firmware Password Utility:
    1. Log in with an administrator account and open the Firmware Password Utility (located on the Mac OS X installation disc in /Applications/Utilities/).
    2. Click Change.
    3. Select “Require password to change Open Firmware settings.” To disable the Open Firmware or EFI password, deselect “Require password to change Open Firmware settings.” You won’t need to enter a password and verify it. Disabling the Open Firmware password is only recommended for installing Mac OS X.
    4. In the Password and Verify fields, enter a new Open Firmware or EFI password, and click OK. This password can be up to eight characters. Do not use the capital letter “U” in an Open Firmware password. If you do, your password will not be recognized during the startup process.
    5. Close the Firmware Password Utility.

5. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Thanks guys!

Yeah, of course they can. But installing a firmware password just adds another layer of protection.

(and if you don't do it and you Mac gets stolen, you don't get the money-back x2 guarantee)

I'm just hoping the common thief would rather sell it on and not bother with it, than actually buying a new compatible HD, installing it and then sell it on.
    Or I'm hoping they would bring it to an Apple store and then the people at the Apple store will know it's stolen and they can make sure I get it back.

(no, I'm not as naive as it looks :p)

6. Everingham.Curt macrumors newbie

As far as I understand, once the firmware password is installed, you can only boot from the current hard drive, not any CD/DVD's, external hard drives, OR changed internal hard drives. I'm no expert though, so this may not be correct.