Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
So can anyone confirm that they have spoken to someone at Apple that has confirmed they know of the issue and are actively seeking a solution? Without this confirmation, I don't intend to send my MBP back as it can be a futile exercise as pointed out by others in this thread."

As it is most likely a massive scale hardware/firmware issue I do not see them publicly addressing it as a problem until they have no choice or the third party manufacturer of the defective parts (if the case) owns up like with the 8600 cards.

I don't see them offering free frequency shifting either as even if it was a simple procedure for a tech ( I have no idea what's involved or if its possible) the cost to them would be massive to offer for all with the LED backlit displays.

They weigh everything with profit and unless ignoring it is going to cost them big in future sales and reputation look to them to ignore it and say what they said to me "we have never heard of this problem before" (which we all know is a lie)

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
As it is most likely a massive scale hardware/firmware issue I do not see them publicly addressing it as a problem until they have no choice or the third party manufacturer of the defective parts (if the case) owns up like with the 8600 cards.

I don't see them offering free frequency shifting either as even if it was a simple procedure for a tech ( I have no idea what's involved or if its possible) the cost to them would be massive to offer for all with the LED backlit displays.

They weigh everything with profit and unless ignoring it is going to cost them big in future sales and reputation look to them to ignore it and say what they said to me "we have never heard of this problem before" (which we all know is a lie)

good points, and thanks for the response, though it wasn't actually me asking the question... haha.
I was quoting someone else

Darth Cow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Good news! After sending in my Late 2008 15" MBP three times (screen replaced twice, then unable to duplicate) for the screen flickering (several times a day), Apple offered to replace my machine with a brand new one. I didn't even have to press for it.

Tachion

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Just started getting this myself a few days ago on my late 2008 15 inch unibody MBP. Happens maybe once a day right now, maybe only once every couple of days. It did happen 3-4 times/day 2 days ago, however. I recently switched to "Power Saving" mode (from the "High-Performance" mode I had been keeping it in) since I've been traveling with it, and this seems to maybe be the cause, as it's only just started.

Based on reading all of this, I'm going to play the wait-and-see game, since apparently no repair will guarantee the fix and it's not bad enough to hinder usage right now.

Very lame that a $2000 machine has a problem like this that Apple can't seem to 100% fix... meanwhile my $1000, 5 year old Gateway laptop still runs flawlessly with no issues (should be the other way around, if you ask me).

Come on, Apple. People pay a premium for your products. This kind of stuff is unacceptable.

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yet one more

Well it seems there's no lack of us with the problem, but I'm here to report one more. :(

Like some others, the problem for me is only when using the 9400 (I have a late 2008 unibody pro) and it started with only a flicker a day every once in a while and has now gotten to the point where it's more like a dozen times a day. Also like some other, switching to the 9600 for me keeps it from occurring, but that's not much of a fix - I want the battery life back and the lower temp in particular back!

I'm in warranty out thru March personally but I guess after the holiday here I'll have to bite the bullet and take this to the store to have it dealt with - I sure hope I have better luck that some of you have had with the process. Since I make my whole living working onsite for clients using this thing, dropping it off at the Apple store and waiting for a repair (and then not knowing how many times I'll have to do so) is a costly effort. :(

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
Well it seems there's no lack of us with the problem, but I'm here to report one more. :(

Like some others, the problem for me is only when using the 9400 (I have a late 2008 unibody pro) and it started with only a flicker a day every once in a while and has now gotten to the point where it's more like a dozen times a day. Also like some other, switching to the 9600 for me keeps it from occurring, but that's not much of a fix - I want the battery life back and the lower temp in particular back!

I'm in warranty out thru March personally but I guess after the holiday here I'll have to bite the bullet and take this to the store to have it dealt with - I sure hope I have better luck that some of you have had with the process. Since I make my whole living working onsite for clients using this thing, dropping it off at the Apple store and waiting for a repair (and then not knowing how many times I'll have to do so) is a costly effort. :(

Please let us know if you figure out a way to trigger/reproduce the flicker, as we may need to demonstrate the problem to the apple technicians. My experience is that the flicker happens most frequently while on 9400 IGP, and when I perform trackpad gestures such as 2-finger scroll and pinch-zoom in, but they don't always work.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Has anyone seen this flash after the recent SMC firmware update? I haven't seen it in a while now and wonder if this update solved the problem secretly.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Has anyone seen this flash after the recent SMC firmware update? I haven't seen it in a while now and wonder if this update solved the problem secretly.

I did. I´ll return to Apple Care after Christmas to make a 2nd attempt for replacement. The 1st time they told me that they see nothing wrong :(

Blaker19

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
After 2 logic board replacements, 2 hard drive replacements, and a screen/top clamshell replacement, Apple finally decided to replace my whole machine (Oct 08 15" MBP with 9400 & 9600 graphics cards, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200rpm HD), so hopefully the newest generation of these 15" unibody MBPs won't turn out to be such lemons.

My problem with the black screen flickering (my hard drive issues are another story altogether) was luckily verified in-store at the Genius Bar by a very helpful tech, who wanted to replace the top clamshell because he suspected a "pinched nerve"/wire to the display was causing the flicker...I was skeptical because like many others have described, the flickering only occurred with the 9400 graphics card and not the 9600, but I was willing to try something different since 2 replaced logic boards did nothing to help.

Within a week of receiving my machine back, I still noticed the flickering (though much more infrequently), the hard drive (which had been replaced as well when sent away for service) crashed, and I got the dreaded null sign at startup...

When I took it back to Apple, I spoke with the same tech at the Genius Bar and he basically started to process a replacement before I could even finish my mentally rehearsed spiel. Now, I wish this had happened 10 or 11 months ago when the problem was first noticed and NOT fixed, but I'm just thankful for a fresh start with a new computer and glad to be rid of that lemon.

Thanks for all your posts that accurately described my same problem, it helped me realize my problem wasn't an isolated incident that would never be believed by Apple.

frijec

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I've got the same simular problem with the black flicker, but it didn't start until I installed snow leopard. This gives me the impression, that it is software related.

Since my warranty is out now, I am hoping for a software update to solve it. They did it for iMac, so they can do it for unibodys too.

Tachion

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
I've got the same simular problem with the black flicker, but it didn't start until I installed snow leopard. This gives me the impression, that it is software related.

Since my warranty is out now, I am hoping for a software update to solve it. They did it for iMac, so they can do it for unibodys too.

My notebook did it while I was still running 10.5. Still does it now that I upgraded to 10.6, so it's not just 10.6.

...although 10.6 may appear to make it worse, as some people have experienced.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I brought my 2.53GHz MacBook Pro in for the screen flash last week. The repair shop had it for the whole week and when I got it back I was told there is no fix and they will not attempt to fix it, because the Apple Engineers confirmed that all the units with the expresscard will have the same issue with the 9400. They told me to use the 9600. I knew that already, but I was less then pleased when they said they would not do anything.

I contacted Apple support regarding the lack of anything being done last Friday and right away I was transfered to higher up support. I explained everything, he said he would get back to me today. I spoke with the same guy again today, now they want me to bring it back in and have a repair attempted, even though the work order states that the Apple Engineer said changing the logic board will not fix anything. I am very tempted to phone the guy back and give him a piece of my mind about the lack of quality in all of the Apple products I have had in the last 4 years.

amorcito

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I brought my 2.53GHz MacBook Pro in for the screen flash last week. The repair shop had it for the whole week and when I got it back I was told there is no fix and they will not attempt to fix it, because the Apple Engineers confirmed that all the units with the expresscard will have the same issue with the 9400. They told me to use the 9600. I knew that already, but I was less then pleased when they said they would not do anything.

I contacted Apple support regarding the lack of anything being done last Friday and right away I was transfered to higher up support. I explained everything, he said he would get back to me today. I spoke with the same guy again today, now they want me to bring it back in and have a repair attempted, even though the work order states that the Apple Engineer said changing the logic board will not fix anything. I am very tempted to phone the guy back and give him a piece of my mind about the lack of quality in all of the Apple products I have had in the last 4 years.

Hey Sycho -

When was your MBP released, 2009? You have the 9400/9600 Nvidia? I was having similar issues with the 9400 with the flicker, out of the box, when this computer was delivered on Monday. I don't see the problem anymore, but I'll be going into an apple store for them to have a look, and exchange it.

Is this just a known issue with all integrated/discreet chipsets with apple? On my old MBP 2.16 C2D, with an ati chipset, it was just a discreet graphics chip, no integrated business. I didn't have these kinds of issues.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Well I just got a MBP 2.8/4Gb/9400 & 9600 in it.

Today, I was playing Eve online the mac version with the 9600 activated, and after a while, the game disconnected but didn't return to the login screen, but the screen started to turn off then on repeatedly, the only way to stop this was to turn the mac off.

I went back to eve a bit later and the same thing happened after a while.

This was with the 9600 activated, I have also noticed it gets sodding hot underneath, kind of try to burn bare skin hot.

So while it sounds different to what people have been experianceing any suggestions on what to do

Thanks

Kimbie

appleaphid

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Update on fix for horizontal line flicker (late 2008 MBP)

Almost four months now after the repair and I haven't seen a single pesky line again :D and I spend about 6 days a week in front of the computer too.

So if any of you are considering replacing the graphics card, it may solve the problem (unless they put another defective one in...)

Good luck,
Mick

Hi all,

I just signed up to let you all know about my case.

I got my very first mac last week; I had bought it refurb. to save some cash, because I was told they just work same as new.
15" MacBook Pro Unibody, with the 9400 + 9600 (512MB) graphics.

I did a clean install of snow leopard and all available updates as soon as I got it. On my second day of use, I noticed what looked like 1-2 pixel wide horizontal lines appearing randomly on the screen & a bit later had a few wide horizontal bands or the entire screen flickering. It seemed to happen more but not only on battery.

I called an AppleExpert who walked me through resetting the graphics card parameters (or something like that). Here are the steps in case it may be useful for some:
- turn off computer
- Press simultaneously: Ctrl+Shift+Option+Power (and fumble with the phone ;))
- Press: r+p+Power and hold until computer has finished booting
It solved the problem... until just after I hung up the phone! :eek:

After a second phone call, I got an appointment at the Genius bar. I turned on the computer and played a video (feeble attempt to record the glitch) and a horizontal line appeared! Immediately after seeing it, the tech said "it's the Logic Board". It turns out that they had (at least one) in stock (Part 661-4835); you think they know about this? I got my computer back after 2 days (today).

So far so good!
(I'll post an update after a while)

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Almost four months now after the repair and I haven't seen a single pesky line again :D and I spend about 6 days a week in front of the computer too.

So if any of you are considering replacing the graphics card, it may solve the problem (unless they put another defective one in...)

Good luck,
Mick
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually sold my MBP and I'm waiting for the new release :)

cheers.
T.

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
I also suffered from this frustrating problem and I present the following recipe for a fix:

1) Call Applecare, explain your issue, refer them to the online youtube video to demonstrate the issue and reference them to the forums for all the other documented cases with this problem and then have your computer sent out.

2) When they call you and say they can't replicate it, get on the phone with a senior advisor, refer them to the hundreds of posts here where people are having the same problem, kindly express your frustration about having an intermittent issue that cannot be seen without a technician sitting at your computer continuously for a long period of time (which won't happen) and convince them to override and authorize a logic board repair.

2A) They see the issue and suggest a logic board replacement and you authorize the replacement.

3) Wait patiently for the logic board repair and when your computer returns, still with the issue, calmly express your frustration to the senior advisor, reference them AGAIN to how many people are having this issue and nothing seems to fix it, and that you know another logic board is a waist of time and money and wait for them to offer you a new unit as a last resort (since there is nothing else to do after replacing the logic board).

4) Now say you would like to WAIT to order your replacement until the refresh and sit back and tolerate your flickering screen until the next refresh hits and THEN enjoy your free upgrade. This is what I'm currently doing :)

**NOTE** ALWAYS be polite and express your frustration in a kind way. Attitude will get you NO WHERE. ALSO, if you don't get what you want the first time, kindly get off the phone, call back and try again with some else. Eventually you'll get someone who's having a good day and will do what you want.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Nice.....

I liked nconnella's idea. I did that same with my Aluminum Macbook:

1) Heats up and logic board dead

2) Bring it to Apple Store

3) Replace Logic Board and the Screen

4) Dies again

5) I gave them my Macbook (Aluminum)

6) After same one week, new unibody polycarbonate Macbook came out

7) Gave me the polycarbonate unibody Macbook:D

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Mine has just started doing it too! Mine is over a year and a bit old but luckily have the 3 year student warranty! Looks like it will be going in to be fixed :)

migsev

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Mine has started now too. Late 08 2.4 model, purchased early December of 2008. Is there any way at all to replicate the issue so I can present it as proof for repairs?

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
I have had the pulsing display (low brightness, 2-4 bars) since I got the machine in May '09. Mine is a 2.66Ghz mid'09 with the 9400/9600 512MB.

As an anecdote, the initial machine I bought had this and I returned it for full refund and subsequent exchange. The exchanged machine had the same pulsing and a dead pixel but rather than go through the hassle I decided to just live with it, didn't have the time to play "musical laptops" so to speak. :rolleyes:

About a month later, I noticed the battery door wasn't sitting on correctly and brought it into the genius bar. The tech offered to just replace the machine since it was so new (less than 30 days old) and it had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I wasn't mad about the pixel but didn't mind getting it exchanged--after about 45min of data transfer, I was out the door with another (third) Macbook Pro. :apple:

The third unit had the same "pulsing at low brightness" as the other two, can't say it was better or worse but was still there. Fast forward to last March, I had my logic board replaced by Applecare due to a bad headphone jack (no audio, red light). The genius bar said the logic board should be replaced b/c it was an issue they felt would only get worse, and it's better to get it fixed while under warranty. No problem, it went in and I got it back two days later (very quick turnaround, btw)... with a new logic board in place I still noticed the flickering at low brightness.

I contacted Apple care (customer service by telephone) and spoke to two technicians, the latter being a "senior advisor" which I'm assuming is a tier 2. The senior advisor was very nice and asked if he could get back to me with a resolution after taking down all of my information, troubleshooting steps, etc. No problem, and he called exactly within the 48hr window as promised. The tech said that it was indeed "known behavior of this model" and is within specification. The only "workaround" is to turn the brightness level up a few bars, or to use the 9600GT chipset instead. :rolleyes:

I think he knew my next question b/c he immediately followed up this statement with, "There's nothing 'wrong' with your computer, it's expected behavior for this model." I wasn't surprised since it had been the same issue/behavior on the two previous ones from last year. The tech also mentioned that it was something to do with the displays and the LEDs, so I'm guessing the explanation earlier about "Pulse dimming" compliments it. All in all, I'm still quite happy with the machine. Recently I had to take it in for a software freezing thing (OSX periodically would lock up for no reason) that was apparently resolved by replacing the RAM and HDD....knock on wood, no issues since. :cool:

As much as I wish the computer didn't pulsate at low brightness, it hasn't really taken anything away from the computer for me. Apple's customer service (Apple "care") has been really easy to talk to, and their genius bar at the South Coast Plaza store have been really good about repairs. :)

Last point. My wife has a unibody white Macbook that does not exhibit this behavior at low brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.