Unibody Macbook Pro Screws falling out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theclamshell, Aug 16, 2011.

?

Does your Macbook Pro have loose/falling out screws?

1. No, It has been opened by Apple only for servicing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, The machine has never been opened.

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. No, The machine has been opened by myself for Servicing.

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Yes, The machine has been opened by myself for servicing.

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Yes, The machine has never been opened

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Yes, The machine has been opened for servicing by Apple.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. Yes, The machine has been opened for servicing by Myself and Apple.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. No, The machine has been opened for servicing by Myself and Apple.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Hello Everyone,

I recently saw a post by someone wanting to buy macbook pro screws. There was a bit of response to the thread with people stating they had the same issue. This has led me to wonder if this is a widespread issue. My screws have fallen out, but I always assumed it was because I have opened up the machine a couple of times. I posted a poll to gather information on the issue.

2. Pyre1582 macrumors newbie

I removed the back about 4 times. The first two being to clear out dust and debris, while the other two have been to install another HD and upgrade the RAM respectively.

The screws seem rock solid thus far, but if it falls out well.. I guess loctite will have to do.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Speaking from experience both professionally (including MIL) and with servicing my own equipment, all I can say is:

1. Apply the proper torque using good quality tools.
    2. Use a minute amount of Loctite (the same as was applied at the factory).
    I've had my UB 17" open many times, but on this machine I chose not to use Loctite because I hardly ever travel (even to a coffee shop) these days. I also have a HD that is virtually vibration free. So, there's not much stress that could have any real chance of loosening a screw. I have used it, though, on previous MBP's (non-UB, but I don't think the model really matters that much - if anything, the UB should put less stress on the screws because it's a much stiffer design than the Aluminum models).

4. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

yes, i had this issue. it was really annoying.

that being said i had many other issues with my mbp so in the end apple just replaced the computer (screws were not the deciding factor)

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I always have one or two screws that need to be tightened every few weeks. It's annoying. I can't say if it would have happened if I didn't open my MBP up, as I nearly always upgrade the RAM right away.