Unibody MacBooks - how good are they really?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by minusten, Jul 10, 2009.

1. minusten macrumors member

I'm considering purchasing an EOL or refurb unibody Macbook and am well aware that it has no Firewire and that the max memory it will take is 4GB. Aside from that are there any other differences (aside from processor speeds) between these models and the new 13" Pro models? I'd heard the new screens were better in the Pro, can anyone tell me how bad the old screens really are - what is the problem with them? Are they all bad? Are they the same standard or better than the White MacBook? Also, is the 2.4 model generally considered to be worth an extra $250 (I'd probably be upgrading hard drive myself anyway so that is less of a factor)?

It would also be interesting to hear from anyone who has one of these and their positive and negative experiences with it.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Now that the MBP 13" came out, these books have tremendously dropped in price. Well especially the used ones (since there's lots of dudes wanting to up), you can find good deals. These books are solid, real nice machines. Typing on one right now.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Really good. Trust me, I own one. Well a previous model, but it still kicks ass.

4. minusten thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. Do the ones manufactured since April have better screens than the earlier ones? How do they compare to the new 13" pro screens?

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

They very well may have better screens, I don't know. I can tell you that I own the original version of the 13" Uni MB and the screen is great. Bright, clear, etc. I travel with it all of the time and plug into an 24" at home and use it as a second screen.

So, I think the right question is if the 13" Uni MB is good enough for your use model.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The screens on the late 08 models differed in quality, the 9C89's sucked big fur off of small rodents. (Though my 8c8c is acceptable. :)) The stealth screen update to them in the first part of 09 is considered to be much better in contrast, etc.

They officially take 4 gigs of ram, people have reported them taking 6 gigs with no problems. 8 gigs is supposed to cause major stability issues.

If you're planning on upgrading the ram and hd anyway, the only consideration besides the processor on the 2.4 is the backlit keyboard. Considering the lowered price on refurbs, the 2.4 is worth the money IMO, but others may differ.

Performance wise, you probably won't tell a difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 unless you're a real power user and are using a stopwatch to measure the differences between the two. The same probably goes for the new 13" mbps. Besides the battery, firewire and sd card slot, the only difference you could possibly tell the difference is with the screen, assuming you got one of the original 9c89's.

7. minusten thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - any ideas when the 8c8c was used, or would it have been at the same time as the 9C89? Is it more likely one would get an inferior (older) screen in a refurb, and a newer one in an EOL?

8. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I love mine. Got it as an open box special at BestBuy and it's the best computer I've ever owned, just wish I had the backlit keyboard.

9. stevejobbers macrumors member

i have a late 08 Alu Macbook CE, and it's the best laptop i've ever used. i'm in love with it. my only complaint is that they significantly slashed the price and made them even better just a few months after i bought mine. oh well.

10. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i own one and i couldn't be happier. i honestly don't know how good or bad the screen is because i don't have another computer to compare it with. don't listen to others' opinions about the screens; you need to see for yourself. i think the 2.4 is worth it because you also get the beautiful backlit keyboard. now that the prices have dropped, i'm pretty sure the difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 isn't $300.

11. ShowMetheMac macrumors newbie

I just but my first mac...it is still confusing but I love it. It is way comfortable(?) than the Windows. I don't think I'll have a problem switching over.....I've seen a lot of people that switch to windows to mac, but not from mac to windows.....(at least that is the case for people around me).

now I see why. I don't regret it.

12. meghannmusic macrumors newbie

meghannmusic

I have the 2.0GHz model and it is my first Mac (excluding a vintage one I had when I was about eight). I have had no problems with the screen - it's definitely bright enough, I do wish I had the backlit keyboard though.

The MBP 13s came out just a couple of weeks after I had purchased this so naturally I was a little disappointed but I believe that there is barely a difference so it hasn't upset me too much.

One thing I do believe though, is that the battery life is better on the MBPs. Not that the battery life on this isn't great, because it is. It runs great, really smooth/fast. No freezing or crashes.

If you are considering buying one, I would highly recommend - best computer I've ever owned by a mile.

13. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

i still like the whitebook it just seems more appleish ha plus i kinda had a budget and whitebook was the cheapest plus i need firewire 400 for audio. i have never really tired a unibody i bet i would like it if i had but theres no point in buying one right now because in 2 years when i need a comp there will be a new macbook anyways :rolleyes:

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

That made me laugh but I have a 9C89 and I think its great after calibrating it. I thinks its very clear and has great color. The only thing I wish mine has is the backlit keyboard. I am realizing now that I could really use a backlit keyboard. The uMB's are great machines and is the best laptop I have ever used.

15. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy one - the old screens simply did not make the cut. Horrible viewing angles and all. The Whitebook is now sticking out like a sore display in the Apple stores these days.

16. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well, viewing angles can be adjusted by just moving the screen. I guess I'm just not that picky.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I totally agree, i mean just tilt the screen to a desirable angle.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I had one when they first came out, and I hated it. Tried using a couple of color profiles off of the forum, and that helped a bit. I was able to have apple exchange it sans restocking fee by playing the october 08 notebook even on quicktime for a genius...Steve Jobs looked like 'floating head CEO' because you couldn't tell the difference between his black turtleneck and the black background behind him. The MBP's and MBA's could clearly show the spotlights reflecting off his shoulders.

I'm really glad your happy with yours, but any casual look at the forums will reveal that i wasn't alone in my contempt for the 9c89.