Unibody MBP / 24/7 Lid Closed / Your Experiences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jstephenson, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jstephenson macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just ordered a new 13" MBP to replace my current white MB, and as usual I'm looking around checking out any issues there may be with regards doing my day-to-day with this new unibody machine.

I run my current MB in lid-closed pretty much all time, hooked up to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. I've never had any problems with heat, and although the keyboard and therefore the screen do heat up a little, most of the air seems to kick out the back of the unit.

I'll probably end up running the new MBP primarily in lid-closed mode too, and was just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences, or indeed if anyone running things this way at the moment can report it's all working fine.

I've been Googling the topic for quite a while now and I've seen plenty of bickering over whether it's design to do it etc, and I believe that is it - none of these have really been based on real experience though, so it'd be great to hear from actual users for a change :)?

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I use to run my 17" MBP that way 90% of the time. No problems at all, even doing rendering (if you were concerned about heat). I ran it with an Apple Cinema Display, Apple BT Keyboard and Mouse.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I run my MBP in desktop mode fairly often (not 24/7) and it's just fine. There is quite a bit of heat when working with files in Photoshop or Illustrator, but nothing to be worried about.