Unibody MBP - Black Screen of Death

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by REBELinBLUE, Feb 24, 2009.

1. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

I've finally have the time to take my Unibody MBP to the Genius Bar and I decided to record the problem before I take it in just in case I can't get it to occur on the day.

Does anyone think this will be enough to convince them there is a problem

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/239816/Mini-Crash.mov

I've also tried recording it happening to a game in OS X (CoD4 or FlatOut2) but of course now I want it to actually happen it won't.

Has anyone had any luck getting this issue resolved yet? From searching the Apple forums and google there seems to be very mixed results

2. be300test macrumors member

looks like thermal shutdown to me. mostlikely overheating video card. known issue with bootcamp/osx and the unibody.

fans dont properly spin up.

3. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know what it is, but when I asked them about it in the store before they feigned ignorance of any such problem being a known issue so I figured I'd video it happening just in case I couldn't get it to happen (doesn't always do it)

4. be300test macrumors member

if you have a case number i can make it happen. also which store did you take it ?

josh

5. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

:D Thanks, I haven't yet though, taking it in on Thursday. I just meant when I was last there (to buy an ACD) I did ask about it and they had no knowledge of it.

Fingers crossed it will either just be a replacement or a quick turn around time, going on holiday next week so I don't really need it (which is why I am taking it in now, if I don't get it back it is no big deal as I'll be away anyway) but it would be nice to have with me just so I can transfer photos to it and watch videos on the plane.

6. be300test macrumors member

they will replace the logic board , cable and inverter most likely.

i have seen this issue and that what i did to solve it. (if screen reset does not work.)

7. juliancs macrumors 6502

I dealt with this for years - some games in XP caused it, some were fine. After installing windows 7, all is ok. ??

8. Jottle macrumors 6502

REBELinBLUE when did you purchase your macbook pro? I think many people who have this issue got some of the early production units, but I'm not sure. Also, does the black screen happen pretty quickly? Or is it an on and off thing. Most people that have this issue can make the computer shut off within 3-10 minutes of playing a graphics intensive game in boot camp.

9. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

No it is nothing to do with Windows, it also occurs in OS X, specifically in WoW & CoD4. It is I suspect an overheating problem, so an actual hardware fault. This is why I wanted a video of it occurring in OS X because I fear they'll just blame Windows as you have, but typically since I've actually wanted it to happen I've been able to play CoD4 and Flatout 2 in OS X without it happening.

Yeah it is one of the first batches, got it the week they were released. I've had the problem for a while but haven't had the chance to take it in, so I've been using it on the 9400M which doesn't have the problem. Yes the black screen happens quickly, I recorded me actually starting the game and playing all the way until the crash to show them how quickly but the video was a bit large to upload, on this particular occasion it was just over a minute. I was aware that it was a known issue (according to http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ing_graphics_issues_on_new_macbook_lines.html ) but hadn't heard of anyone who had successfully had to fixed/replaced until recently.

Thanks everyone

10. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

Well that was a waste of time, they said it is a "known issue" that affects all 2.53GHz MBPs (doesn't that mean they are knowingly selling a product with a severe fault) and that they have been instructed not to offer replacements or repairs until Apple has figured out what is causing the issue.

That is ridiculous, 1/3rd of the year after the product was released and it doesn't work properly. For a £300 laptop that would be made enough but for an £1800 laptop it is disgusting.
    :mad:

11. Jottle macrumors 6502

If what you heard is true, that's good new since it means Apple is admitting there's a problem. That also means that when they have a solution, you won't have to deal with multiple repairs that don't do anything but increase the chance of a careless technician (and there are many) marring or scratching your computer. Of course, the down side is that you have no guarantee WHEN Apple will come up with a fix :(

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That makes sense but AppleCare should still offer to fix it rather than say no, because we don't know the cause of the problem. It might be something that could be addressed in an Apple Update but right now it could just be a defect. I just think if AppleCare has gone through it's troubleshooting (SMC/PRAM resets, Archive/Install, Erase/Install) and nothing improves, they should treat it as defect and offer a repair. Like you said, who knows when Apple will come with a fix. This would suck if someone relies on their computer for work. This would be serious downtime.

13. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

At least you got them to admit it's their problem and not Windows...

Any problem I have, it usually ends up with. "You installed Windows, I cannot help you."

Sorry for these posts, I continue to be pissed at the $350 AppleCare that doesn't seem to help me much at all. I cannot even get them to admit a problem. The trackpad problem has me pissed the most. They said that I should get a driver from Microsoft, which I know is complete BS.

14. P90Xfit macrumors regular

What is your "track pad problem?" I only ask because I had a few and fixed most all of them in windows 7. Maybe I can help?

15. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

That is the thing, looking at the Apple forum people in the US & Canada (and even Germany) have had their MBP fixed or replaced successfully but people in the UK are getting fobbed off. I really don't believe it is still an issue with the current units, if it were we'd be hearing about a lot more of these issues. As it is it appears to have only affected the earlier batches, if that is the case they need to offer replacements to the earlier units.

For 4 months now one of the reasons I bought the MBP has been unusable and that just isn't acceptable in my opinion.

I will be phoning Apple Care tomorrow and see what they say, see if it is any different. If not I'll have to work out where to go from there.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I was in the same boat as you. Got a MBP 2.8 as soon as it was released, gave it a good workout, which included gaming to make sure i was happy with the performance, and would constantly get Black screens of death. I send it back within the 14 day return period. I then bought one instore, and same problems, so it went back. I returned it cause i refused to pay premium £££ for a laptop that crashes due to thermal failure under such games as wow. Basically the problem is either with nvidia or heat distribution due to new case designs. One way they could attempt to fix it is with a firmware update for the GPU to underclock it, but that would result in performance drop. Simple answer is that there is no quick fix, wait for the next revision, frankly nvidia sucks in mobile

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Depends if your computer problems are in Windows or in OS X. If it only happens in Windows, then the agent you spoke to did their job correctly. Just because you're running on Apple hardware, doesn't mean you'll get support.

18. couto27 macrumors 6502

Same Problem

is not alone in this issue
    and i dont use windows
    i have the same problem in my mbp 2,53 bought on 23 of december

it happend when i use the grafic card 9600gt ,on fall out 2 demo, and a few other games
    for playng i have to use the 9400m

also if i use hardware 3d in the game configuration it also crash.

macbook pro 2,53 bought in london 23 december
    Model introduced: 2008
    Production year: 2008
    Production week: 46 (November)
    Production number: 7274 (within this week)

if anyone now what apple is planing to do just post here.

19. couto27 macrumors 6502

IT HAPPEND ALLWAYS WHEN USING 9600GT IN MAC OSX

I NEVER USE WINDOWS ON MINE......................

FORGET THE WINDOWS .

20. couto27 macrumors 6502

found halft of the solution

looks like there already some users that have the problem in october, the month of release

one of them went to the apple store and have a replacement machine.

i also read that in london store they refuses to fix it, saying that a software release will fix the problem.

well the manager of regent street will gone have problems if he doesnt fix my problem.

here's half of the solution

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/t...3E36934191.app23_02?topicId=12065189625&sid=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11855817360&sid=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=11855817360&sid=1

21. couto27 macrumors 6502

another good solution

i found a way that you can use your macbook pro 2, 53 with grafic card 9600gt gaming or other stuff and
    THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH WILL NOT APPEAR

use this solution as your own risk

-download smcfancontrol for mac

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

put the fan 4000rpm as the picture above

start any game , and you will see that your macbook pro 2,53 will not crash.
    after finish the game return the fans to 2000.

note:i play fall out 2 (9600gt)max resolution with hardware 3d on for 1 hour an never crash.

conclusion :
    -the problem is really that the the grafic card hover heat too much and crash avoiding to damage
    -avoid to repeat crash
    -the fan in normal use 2000 rpm arent capable of colling the grafic card
    -the fans mantain speed 2000 when the game starts.
    -fans at 4000rpm keeps the nvidia 9600gt colling down and no crash has verified

-its obligation of apple to solve this problem , not a third party software.
    -i will take my mbp 2,53 to apple store asking for a replacement

Attached Files:

22. REBELinBLUE thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am getting really fed up now.

After having no luck with their tech support I contacted the office of fair trading, told them the problem and Apple's response & as I expected by law (Sale of Goods 1974) since they can't fix the issue they have to replace the machine.

They instructed me to write to Apple detailing everything I have done to try and resolve the issue, telling them that I had been in contact with the OFT and am aware of Apple's policy but that I would like a replacement machine as I am entitled to by law as the product was not fit for purpose.

Just got a call from Apple saying they do not consider it a hardware issue but rather an issue with the third party software so there is nothing they could do, they could not offer me a replacement and could not comment on people on their own site saying they have had the issue resolved by replacing their machines.

Guess it is time to call the OFT again :(

23. couto27 macrumors 6502

hi, the best advice i can give you is this
    your machine has a hardware problem , so do this
    make a clean install do the updates and dont winstall windows, and put a mac osx game runing .
    see how much time will take to crash.

take to the apple store and show to the genius the mac crashing.

i went to the apple store run fallout 2 , after 15 minutes runing , bum bsof

it take 24 hours to fix , new grafic card ,mptherboard and processor all guarantee buy apple.

if in the store they no you , change store , and dont mention windows or software.

24. couto27 macrumors 6502

in any official apple store they no about the issue, and they will replace the motherboard processor and grafic card, change apple store.

25. DYER macrumors 6502

Hi mate your in London right?
    I don't know if you went to regent street but if you did you can try Kingston upon thames - 30 min from London Waterloobut youve also got white city and brent cross.
    Bluewater is also within driving distance.
    I suggest you try another store, or failing that try and find way to make osx crash due to heat