Unibody MBP Defects - a list?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Nov 21, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

can anyone help me list out the common defects out of the box of the rev A unibody MBP?

so far i've got...

1) crooked keys
    2) loose battery hinge

what else can be added to the list? thought it'd be helpful especially to those who are going to buy one to have a list of the more common ones they should look out for.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's funny, I think we posted our threads at the same time.

3. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Speaker "dust", but I think that's unavoidable.

4. Red-red macrumors 6502

The speaker dust isn't a defect.

Not a defect just quality control, I have a tiny spec of dust right at the top of my screen so that when I view it not straight on I can see it slightly. I'm sure it wasn't there when I got it but I might have been but when used straight on you don't see it, only top down and even then it's minimal...... Annoying though because I know its there. Everything else about it is perfect.

5. Fus3r macrumors newbie

From what I've seen the battery slot is only for early adopters. I took in my MBP to a genius today and they swapped out it (MBP for a new one with no battery issues), no questions asked. I'm loving my Apple switch more and more everyday!

6. JayKay321 macrumors member

Some of these I've experienced, and some I've read about on numerous occasions.

3) Sleep Issues (not waking from sleep, problems going to sleep)
    4) Weak lid magnets (uneven spacing when lid is closed)
    5) Graphics issues w/ the 9600m
    6) Misc graphics issues...blotches, static, flickering
    7) Light leakage on monitor (manifests on the bottom of screen)

Probably a lot more.... I must say that the one area where Apple has really answered the call is customer service. They've been good about addressing and rectifying all the problems I've had. If you think you can weather the potential headache of having to go through a few computers, then go for it.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm happy to say that my new one is flawless.

8. kis macrumors 65816

- Bluetooth problems (try tethering, bluetooth PAN etc... doesn't work right, sometimes the bluetooth module locks up entirely and doesn't come back until I've rebooted a couple of times - have heard from others with the same problem
    - Trackpad (button) doesn't work right in bootcamp
    - screen-shot bug
    - short battery life in connection with sleep-issues
    - sleep issues (mbp wakes up while it's carried around or doesn't go to sleep at all)

etc. etc. - probably another low-point of Apple QC :-( (or the lack thereof)