Unibody Trackpad Loud Click - Cure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Feb 6, 2009.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Not sure if this has been posted, but my Unibody trackpad is very loud when clicked and a little bit stiff too - something I noticed right away from upgrading from the "classic" MacBook Pro. I did a little bit research to see if there was a way to try an loosen the trackpad button that would also result in a much quieter click. Well, I found this article and followed the instructions:

For those wondering what screw this is, I took a photo of mine. It is the screw in the middle of the "V" on the bottom of the trackpad shell.

[​IMG]

It is very sensitive and turning even just a fraction will have an impact on the stiffness of the click. Took me about 10 minutes of fine tuning (using a flat headed screw driver) and turning the screw even just a slight millimetre to get it perfect.

Now, my trackpad is quiet, I can actually click without getting frustrated and it does my thumb justice too!

2. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Well I'm surprised that people actually use the physical button. I find the tapping much more pleasing and comfortable.

Thanks a lot, though :D

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Dragging is a lot easier if you click rather than double tapping etc.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I just use a mouse! I hate the built-in trackpads on all mobiles. I do like the little nobbly thing that the Thinkpads use.

5. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Heh.. Nobbly.

I have a new unibody MBP coming in today. I will bookmark this page if I need to change the click settings. Thanks for the helpful info!

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

If you tap to click, double tap to drag, use multitouch super-gestures you DO NOT NEED to click. Why in the world would anyone want to use a button when you can just tap!!!! It's so magnificent... Or you can just use a moooouse: maybe a mighty mouse, it's so beautiful... white, shiny...

Yeah...

I spent a lot of time fine tuning that screw. While fine tuning, opening and closing the cover, the battery cover became loose. Now, if I click in the middle or on the right side it's ok. But if I click on the left side, the noise is louder than before.

So: for those willing to try. The best way to fine tune the screw is to: rotate it, put the battery back, close the lever used for releasing the cover and verify the actual settings. Do not do like I did otherwise the cover becomes loose.

thistle

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Just to update - I used my friend's Unibody trackpad and couldn't believe how stiff his clicker was. I sorted his out and the click is now effortless. Interesting to see how many people have over stiff trackpad clicks.

8. lordthistle macrumors 6502

May be it was only an impression, but after using the trackpad on 13" MBs I think that there's a difference between MB and MBP trackpads. On the three MBs I tested both the noise and the pressure seemed more acceptable.

9. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

Thanks for the heads up!
    i will try it in the morning

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I tried that and found it hard to get used to, especially when doing a click-drag. I also had a real hard time changing labels on folders, where you click once to select, then drag off to highlight the text. I would tap-click, tap-click-drag, and it was too frustrating for such a simple task. Also, if I'm sharing my computer with an associate, they don't get that you don't have to click and I have to always explain that it's a simple tap to click. After messing with it for a week or so, I turned it off and went back to the old fashioned button click even though it's loud and stiff.

As for a mouse, I'm not always in a situation where I can plug in a mouse and I don't want to always have to carry one around with me.

I think I'm going to try the adjustment... hope it doesn't screw anything up and there is a way to return it to the default settings if I don't like it.

11. lordthistle macrumors 6502

It is very easy and it is possible to return to the 'default'.

You won't screw up anything, but be careful with the battery cover.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Am I the only one who can't push to click on the top portion of their trackpad?

13. lordthistle macrumors 6502

No, you're not because it's normal.

14. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Nice call!

I thought that all the trackpads were just as loud, but I guess I never really played around with any other ones in an environment I could hear them in.

I wonder if mine sets some kind of record. It's really, really loud.

15. leventozler macrumors 6502

Thank you!

I have screwed clockwise, very slowly, until I cant click. And screwed back counterclockwise just a little.

16. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Do you notice a big difference in sounds when clicking on the left and the right part?

17. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Does this actually adjust the trackpad position... like the left side of my trackpad is a higher then the right side... will this fix it?

18. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Sweet... Nice find. I just got my Macbook Pro last night. I asked a friend about this very thing this morning. She has a Unibody Macbook. Mine is super loud.

Thanks!

19. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

No - it doesn't adjust the height or levelness of the trackpad. Just the stiffness/ease of click which directly affects the loudness of the click.

I did this to actually ease the click too - I got sore thumbs.

20. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

In Holland they call this the 'computer clit!' (Their expletives, not mine) :D

21. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

isn't it amazing?

22. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I always called the little red things nipples.

23. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I'd do it for the sound, but I don't like how the lower sound level means softer click. Ironically, I'm a tactile person when it comes to clicking buttons, and I like to "feel" my click better

24. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Ionly use the button when I want to be annoyed :)

all other times, its tap tap tap go

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod