Unibody w/ 8GB Ram and results..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ayeying, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It crashed. lol.

I had a kernel panic using the 2x 4GB memory sticks from my 17" MacBook Pro. At first, the system was very responsive and strong. Once I started reaching the 4GB mark, the system suddenly crashed with no warning. I've attempted this 4 times and all concluded with the same result.

Here's a few photos. I apologize for the extremely horrible quality. I took it at 1/1600 shutter speed in very minimal light thinking I had the camera on Auto. I didn't notice until I imported the pictures into the system.

Some notes: When the 17" UMBP was introduced with the capability of having 8GB ram, people asked if it was possible to use a MBP's copy of OSX (thinking its a possible software issue causing the limitation). The copy of OSX installed here was from my 17". I installed OSX via the 17" UMBP then removed and installed the hard drive into the 13" UMB. It booted up with no problems and it was completely stable.

Attached Files:

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm a little confused by the way you worded the last part of your post. Are you saying that the macbook with 8GB of RAM was stable while using the HDD from your 17" MBP?

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Sorry, I think I contradicted myself a little here.

What I meant to say is, a 17" UMBP installed OSX running on the 13" Unibody MacBook is stable. So, if anyone would like to claim that the system crashed BECAUSE the OSX installed was not the one specific to the MacBook Model.. well, it doesn't matter.

However, regardless of where I installed the OSX, the system crashed when 4GB of ram was trying to be used in the 8GB of ram installed MacBook

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Did you have kernel problems using 4GB or less RAM in the machine on the same run of the OS [if you tried]?

5. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

No problems even with close to 30 days of uptime with 4GB ram

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, then that means that the only place where Apple can be preventing the 8GB upgrade is the EFI chip. That chip can somehow be software modded to model specific.

That or, the RAM sticks themselves are somehow programmed to prevent the upgrade in the MacBooks. I know this is *very* unlikely, but seeing as 8GB works in the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pros, I can't think of anything else to say. Although, like I said, this is a highly unlikely thing.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

that's the way i understand it jav. It's a firmware thing.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What we really need is a software dump of that EFI chip in the 17" MacBook Pro and see if we can somehow apply the software or a patch to the EFI chip in the MacBooks.

9. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

If anyone knows how, just give me a holla.

10. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

OK, i am EXTREMELY confused? Did it work or not?

11. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

12. Trexznl macrumors member

It isn't really THAT hard guys...

Point 1:
    He tried the unibody with 8GB of RAM and the result was it Crashed so... if you can't figure that one out for yourself.

Point 2:
    He tried it out, and when his memory in use (or active, or w/e) reached around 4GB, he got kernel panics. So it didn't work (again.)

Point 3:
    He installed the OSX version of his 17" to verify that it isn't a software limitation onto a harddrive and put that harddrive into his 13", so he's got the same OSX on his 13" as the 17".
    The conclusion of this: the software works without any problems, however it still panics due to the hardware.

Point 4:
    Pretty much..Self explanatory...

It honestly shouldn't be that hard to read and draw the conclusion out of this:
    The 13" MB doesn't support 8GB of RAM.

Clear now? :confused:

13. shoppy macrumors 6502a

No 8gb ram did not work in MB as it crashed. I use the same 500gb HDD in all 3 sizes of my macbook/Pros. Original install was on a 13"2.4 UMBP. I used it for more then 6 weeks. I have had 4gb ram in all my macbook's since october and have never had any problems, I purchased my ram from apple.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For so many points, it seems you forgot to read where you can also software mod the EFI chip to prevent said 8GB upgrade.

Its not only the software on the Hard drive that determines how your computer behaves. Your chipset firmware also plays a role in this.

Read my post and you may get the answer to that.

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Whats the probability that Snow Leopard will allow the 8gb to run smoothly?

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

None, Apple might give us the BS excuse that its a hardware thing.

17. Mantronix macrumors regular

By this post I think I found out what may have been causing my aluminum 24"iMac to crash. Long ago I added 4 gigs of ram (cosair) in it and I get that same exact error the original post is getting. Sometimes it would just completely lock up/freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. I brought it to the Apple store and they did a ram check showing my ram is good. I think I may just put the original ram in there and see if the problem occurs again.