Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

060831-web-1_500.jpg

This screenshot from Best Buy's inventory system was submitted to us. It shows an unreleased Apple product in the category of "Mobile Computing" within Best Buy's inventory system. The 'In Stock' date for the item is May 31st.

Best Buy inventory screens always seem to generate a lot of interest, but we've been told in the past that these entries are made without official knowledge from Apple. As a result, there is likely no particular significance to the findings.

Article Link: Unidentified Apple 'Mobile Computing' Device in Best Buy Inventory?

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
A lot of news for the iPhone in the past few minutes!!

Seems interesting - could it be the tablet we're talking about?

Does anyone mind checking out those dimensions and seeing what they're about?

At the top in the model (MC240LL/A) - does MC mean mobile computer?

I think you should remove the bottom bit of the image - time, date and others so the person who snapped this doesn't get caught out... just for his / her protection!

And it's a rev. a product!

The iPhone's serial starts with K26 - not MC

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
the dimensions don't make any sense to me, it's bigger and weighs more than a 17" MBP if I'm not mistaking..

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Nope, those model numbers are IDs Apple gives to their products.

Also, check this out:
Original iPhone: MA...LL/A
iPhone 3G: MB...LL/A
This product: MC...LL/A

Maybe it's a coincidence.

iPhone 3G Model Numbers: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?locale=en_GB
Note US products end in LL

Yeah - nice catch.

I was going to say - the weight of the item is 89000 LB, right?
If there is power cabs and a sim card or whatever else, it would weight to be at least a little more?

I am guessing this is the new iPhone. Maybe if the user that posted this could sneak on to the system again and tell us what the dimensions for the iPhone showed up as? :D

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Product Dimensions: The box and the item are the same dimensions so that means one of two things.

a) This is just a speculative product placeholder that contains no actual information - highly highly likely

b) Apple have innovated so much that they have created a product that is also its own packaging so it doesn't need a box - highly highly unlikely

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Maybe it's like a vacuum cleaner where the actual power lead slides in and out of the actual product :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Nope, those model numbers are IDs Apple gives to their products.

Also, check this out:
Original iPhone: MA...LL/A
iPhone 3G: MB...LL/A
This product: MC...LL/A

Maybe it's a coincidence.

iPhone 3G Model Numbers: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?locale=en_GB
Note US products end in LL

The new 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, black shuffle and 10.5.6 retail discs use the MC prefix so it's not a new development. Maybe they've run out of MB codes (there are soooooo many, I spend every Monday morning doing stock count on pages of MB coded items).

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
The new 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, black shuffle and 10.5.6 retail discs use the MC prefix so it's not a new development. Maybe they've run out of MB codes (there are soooooo many, I spend every Monday morning doing stock count on pages of MB coded items).

Exactly

elpasi

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
What if apple tell the shops the size of the box so that they know how many they can fit on one shelf/how much shelf space they need, but they don't bother telling people what's inside? In this case, this database has a space for internal dimensions that they don't know, so making a guess at the highest value is probably the safest bet (e.g. so they can definitely have enough space on display for unboxed and working models for demo)

E.G. You don't know how big the thing in the box is, but you know you definitely want to fit 3 on display. All you know is it can't be larger than the box (Well, it could, Apple can do amazing things and might even be able to bend the laws of physics), so if you guess that the item is the same size as the box then the space you clear for them will definitely be large enough.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
maybe next week ...

Model - MC240LL/A . . . . . . . . . . not found at Apple.com
Status - Not Carried by Loc
Length: 16.7000 IN
Width: 5.5000 IN ... much thicker (protective packaging?)
Height: 13 IN
Weight - 8.90000 LB

in Stock Date - 05-31-2009 <<<<<<<
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
The MacBook Pros are perhaps too large to fit in this box with protective packaging all around. Perhaps it is more appropriate for the MacBook.
But what about the additional weight? Maybe it's just a disguise to throw off everyone who snoops.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
MacBook Pro, 17", Aluminum - Part number: MB604LL/A
Height: 0.98 inch (2.50 cm)
Width: 15.47 inches (39.3 cm)
Depth: 10.51 inches (26.7 cm)
Weight: 6.6 pounds (2.99 kg)
---------------------------------

15-inch Tech Specs

Size and Weight
Height: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
Width: 14.35 inches (36.4 cm)
Depth: 9.82 inches (24.9 cm)
Weight: 5.5 pounds (2.49 kg)5

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
upc

It is interesting that it might be something. The UPC is a good guess if made up. Looking at items with prefix 885909 (which all seem Apple) the highest current one I could find is 0885909320257. The candidate is ...933 vs. ...932, so at least that seems somewhat credible.

I agree the 8.9 pounds and dimensions are not something portable, unless this is a monster 19" macbook superpro, or maybe an Apple blade (too light for an Xserve) for the North Carolina server farm :). But it did say MOBILE...

Then again my (the) first Macintosh Portable was 16 pounds!
http://lowendmac.com/pb/macintosh-portable.html

Maybe this is retro.

Hard to separate placeholders from reality. Guess we'll know next week.

Fun rumor.

fokket

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
The box sizing is interesting, pre-unibody 15.4" MBP box comes at 17" by 17" by 3.25" thick.

this comes at 16.7 by 13 by 5.5

considerably thicker.

As for the weight of the box, it's 8.9lbs. Considering the weight of power adaptor, packaging and all that it seems highly likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.