uninstalling app - #1 stupid newbee question

dmarcus48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Central NJ
ok, so I have an app installed and I've decided that I want to uninstall it. I don't believe that it's as simple as dragging the app to the trash. How is it done?

dmarcus48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Central NJ
Really that's it? It'll clean up all the files? And really how did Itunes get in there. I'm talking about a program on the macbook, nothing about an ipod or itouch.

Protokoll

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Just drag the App to the Trash. If you think the App has installed some preference files or other associated clutter you can download AppCleaner or AppZapper (the former is free and the latter is not) and they will nuke everything associated with the App.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Really that's it? It'll clean up all the files?
The only thing left behind may be a very small text file known as a .plist. It contains any settings/preferences you might have chosen, in case you ever want to reinstall the app. You can use something like AppCleaner or AppZapper to get rid of those, too, but it's really not necessary. All the application files are bundled in the .app file, unlike Windows which scatters install files everywhere.

And really how did Itunes get in there. I'm talking about a program on the macbook, nothing about an ipod or itouch.
Exactly. That poster doesn't know what they're talking about.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I understand, still getting used to the mac "lingo" lol. Thanks for the quick answers guys. Great forum. Love the MBP so far.

Dave
If you are just getting started with Mac OS X, have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

dmarcus48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Central NJ
If you are just getting started with Mac OS X, have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

thanks for this, i have a lot of reading to do!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm glad this thread is here. I didn't really now how to uninstall either. I downloaded Appcleaner, and its a really nice app though.

Everything seems so much nicer on a Mac, even the smallest details.

One thing I really like about the Mac is I can open the application (at least most) to see how I like it, before I install it. Nice!

dmarcus48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Central NJ
it's funny, one of the things I'm finding the hardest is the minimize and close icons on the left side of the screen!!

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
If you really want to clean up, but don't want to install additional stuff to do it for you, after you've dragged the app into the trash, go into your user account in Finder (should be the default finder window), open Library, then Application Support, then search for the app and trash the folder with that name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.