uninstalling app - #1 stupid newbee question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmarcus48, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dmarcus48 macrumors newbie

ok, so I have an app installed and I've decided that I want to uninstall it. I don't believe that it's as simple as dragging the app to the trash. How is it done?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Drag the app to the trash.

3. 184550 Guest

Sync to iTunes. Delete App from your iTunes library.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Huh? What does iTunes have to do with uninstalling an app? I'll answer my own question: Nothing!

5. dmarcus48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really that's it? It'll clean up all the files? And really how did Itunes get in there. I'm talking about a program on the macbook, nothing about an ipod or itouch.

6. Protokoll macrumors member

Just drag the App to the Trash. If you think the App has installed some preference files or other associated clutter you can download AppCleaner or AppZapper (the former is free and the latter is not) and they will nuke everything associated with the App.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just drag the application to the Trash, the iTunes confusion got into this thread, because you wrote "app", and some people think of iOS apps.

Uninstalling Applications in Mac OS X

via "mac os x how to uninstall applications"

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only thing left behind may be a very small text file known as a .plist. It contains any settings/preferences you might have chosen, in case you ever want to reinstall the app. You can use something like AppCleaner or AppZapper to get rid of those, too, but it's really not necessary. All the application files are bundled in the .app file, unlike Windows which scatters install files everywhere.

Exactly. That poster doesn't know what they're talking about.

10. dmarcus48 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand, still getting used to the mac "lingo" lol. Thanks for the quick answers guys. Great forum. Love the MBP so far.

Dave

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you are just getting started with Mac OS X, have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

12. dmarcus48 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for this, i have a lot of reading to do!

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm glad this thread is here. I didn't really now how to uninstall either. I downloaded Appcleaner, and its a really nice app though.

Everything seems so much nicer on a Mac, even the smallest details.

One thing I really like about the Mac is I can open the application (at least most) to see how I like it, before I install it. Nice!

14. dmarcus48 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's funny, one of the things I'm finding the hardest is the minimize and close icons on the left side of the screen!!

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

16. Modernape macrumors regular

If you really want to clean up, but don't want to install additional stuff to do it for you, after you've dragged the app into the trash, go into your user account in Finder (should be the default finder window), open Library, then Application Support, then search for the app and trash the folder with that name.

17. dmarcus48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good info thanks, I'm an oracle dba and I usually work on unix or linux servers so this is good stuff.