Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hardware prototyping consultant Ken Pillonel has created a transparent AirPods Pro charging case with a repairable design using 3D printing technology and transparent SLA resin, as part of his ongoing efforts to highlight repairability and sustainability issues in modern consumer electronics.

airpods_pro_clear_2-2.jpg

The project began with Pillonel downloading 3D files and employing transparent SLA resin to create the AirPods Pro case. Using a Formlabs Form 3+ printer, Pillonel printed the parts, cleaned them with IPA, and carefully dried them using compressed air. He then cured the parts and undertook a labor-intensive phase of sanding carried out in sequence using 400, 600, 800, and 1000 grit sandpaper, with the parts regularly dipped in tap water to aid in cleanliness and progress assessment.

The process continued with a cleansing in new IPA and drying with hot air to prevent mineral residue deposits from water. To finalize the aesthetic, Pillonel applied a clear spray varnish to the parts. The spray transformed the parts from opaque to entirely clear, achieving the desired transparent look.

The transparent design also taps into a nostalgic aesthetic, reminiscent of transparent gadgets from the past. Beyond the visual appeal, the project represents Pillonel's continued effort to highlight repairability issues in contemporary consumer electronics and encourage a move towards more sustainable design practices. By using screws and nuts instead of adhesive and a USB-C port, Pillonel's AirPods Pro case can easily be taken apart and repaired.

Apple recently introduced a transparent variant of the Beats Studio Buds +, while Nothing's transparent Buds (1) and (2) have sought to compete with AirPods, indicating something of a revival of interest in transparent electronics.

Article Link: Unique Project Brings Transparent Design to AirPods Pro Charging Case

Billistan

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I need to do this, just so I can replace the stupid battery in the thing. My AirPods are still good but the charging case battery is dead.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Beyond the visual appeal, the project represents Pillonel's continued effort to highlight repairability issues in contemporary consumer electronics and encourage a move towards more sustainable design practices. By using screws and nuts instead of adhesive and a USB-C port, Pillonel's AirPods Pro case can easily be taken apart and repaired.

These people really struggle to understand that given the choice between performance and design or 'repairability', consumers choose the former every time.

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
I wish Apple would offer more colour choices for the AirPods. I love my transparent Beats Studio Buds+, Apple are leaving money on the table not offering more colours for the AirPods IMHO. I'd buy several different colours if they were available, especially if they were transparent iMac colours.

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
What's the attraction of this dated design that has been tried and ultimately left in the rears by Apple? 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.