Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
The paragon driver isn't used for running Windows or Linux off an external drive, it's so that Mac OS can read and write to an NTFS-formatted drive. Most external drives are formatted for either NTFS (Windows) or HFS/APFS (Mac), which means you can't simply unplug the drive from one OS and switch it to the other and expect it to work. The WD EasyStore series does use ExFAT, which both Windows and Mac based systems can read and write to. That's what I use for my iTunes library, since I only have to keep one set of media updated instead of sychronizing across multiple libraries.
Have you tried the native Paragon NTFS on an M1 Mac?

I found it to be about 25% slower than using the same disk (with Paragon NTFS) on my MBP16.

However, part of this may be due to USB differences between M1 and Intel Macs - even HFS+ or APFS disks are slower on the M1 than on Intel.

Hoping that Paragon can improve on this.

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
Have you tried the native Paragon NTFS on an M1 Mac?

I found it to be about 25% slower than using the same disk (with Paragon NTFS) on my MBP16.

However, part of this may be due to USB differences between M1 and Intel Macs - even HFS+ or APFS disks are slower on the M1 than on Intel.

Hoping that Paragon can improve on this.

The latest version of Paragon NTFS 15.8.104 is native on M1. I am using the latest version seems quite fast to me. Which version of Paragon are you using.

gspannu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
You can use Handbrake to convert videos to the desired format and then play them using Quicktime. We would have to wait for ffmpeg to be released with native Apple Silicon support. Hence, wait for VLC or iina (mpv) universal binary.
Use IINA (Open source, night build) or Movist.
Both are now Apple Silicon Universal...

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
The latest version of Paragon NTFS 15.8.104 is native on M1. I am using the latest version seems quite fast to me. Which version of Paragon are you using.
I’m using the native build that I download from Paragon 2 days ago. I’d have to check the version.

I’ll have to check with some other NTFS formatted disks to verify though. There are known issues with how M1 Macs negotiate USB connection speeds though. I have an external SSD that connects at 10Gbps on my Intel Mac and at 5Gbps on my M1 Mac Mini

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
I’m using the native build that I download from Paragon 2 days ago. I’d have to check the version.

I’ll have to check with some other NTFS formatted disks to verify though. There are known issues with how M1 Macs negotiate USB connection speeds though. I have an external SSD that connects at 10Gbps on my Intel Mac and at 5Gbps on my M1 Mac Mini

This is probably the first m1 compatible native build from Paragon, maybe in the next update the app could perform better. One more thing, what is the performance in terms of consuming system resources for the native version of Paragon NTFS compared to Paragon NTFS for intel Mac.

Update: Paragon just updated the NTFS for Mac to 15.8.105. You can checkout the latest update (version) of NTFS For Mac

Last edited:

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Now Jump Desktop is now Universal Binary.
2020-12-09_09-08-54.png

Reactions: m-a

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
This is probably the first m1 compatible native build from Paragon, maybe in the next update the app could perform better. One more thing, what is the performance in terms of consuming system resources for the native version of Paragon NTFS compared to Paragon NTFS for intel Mac.

Update: Paragon just updated the NTFS for Mac to 15.8.105. You can checkout the latest update (version) of NTFS For Mac
I was running 15.8.104, and have just downloaded the latest one and will check it out. It requires a system restart, so I'll have to wait for a moment when I can shut my work down.

jameshogg

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Seems like I can't install Soundflower. Does anyone have a workaround, or a free or inexpensive alternative to that one? Screenium just looks ... kinda cheap? Looking for a screen recorder with system audio.
Blackhole works through Rosetta

Reactions: trulsdd

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I was running 15.8.104, and have just downloaded the latest one and will check it out. It requires a system restart, so I'll have to wait for a moment when I can shut my work down.
There wasn't any performance difference between Paragon NTFS 15.8.104 and 15.8.105 with my external SSD, measured with BlackMagic Disk Speed Test.

Reads are about 140MBps slower, writes about 120MBPs slower than on my Intel MBP16 with the same disk.

However, a slower HDD (in a USB-3 5Gbps enclosure) was much closer, and the M1 Mini was 1-2 MBps faster for writes (70 vs 72 MBps) and for reads. For some reason read speeds on the Intel MBP16 were very low (43MBps - slower than writes, which is unusual), but OK on the M1 Mini (c. 69-70MBPs); still lower than writes, but a lot better than the MBP16.

Bizarrely, when I swapped from the TB-3 ports to the USB-3 port on the Mini with the original 1TB external SSD, the read/write speeds were "swapped" compared to the earlier (TB3) values:

Via TB-3
1607574244090.png

Via USB-3
1607574280723.png

For reference, here is the same disk connected to my MBP16
1607574324903.png

I think there are two factors at play here.
1) The M1 Mini's USB connection via TB-3 and USB-3 is definitely slower than on the Intel MBP16. Part of this is due to the lower negotiated USB connection speed (5Gbps vs 10Gbps on the MBP16) - but not all of it. I would still expect to get 420-450MBps from a 5Gbps connection; maybe this is too optimistic?
2) Paragon NTFS doesn't show much difference between Intel and M1 for low-speed disks, but may be throttling in software for higher speed disks.

Another possibility is that the BlackMagic Speed Test is inaccurate on the new M1 Macs...but it's running natively, so I would hope that this is not the case.

I'll try some actual file copies to validate.

Last edited:
Reactions: markiv810

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
There wasn't any performance difference between Paragon NTFS 15.8.104 and 15.8.105 with my external SSD, measured with BlackMagic Disk Speed Test.

Reads are about 140MBps slower, writes about 120MBPs slower than on my Intel MBP16 with the same disk.

However, a slower HDD (in a USB-3 5Gbps enclosure) was much closer, and the M1 Mini was 1-2 MBps faster for writes (70 vs 72 MBps) and for reads. For some reason read speeds on the Intel MBP16 were very low (43MBps - slower than writes, which is unusual), but OK on the M1 Mini (c. 69-70MBPs); still lower than writes, but a lot better than the MBP16.

Bizarrely, when I swapped from the TB-3 ports to the USB-3 port on the Mini with the original 1TB external SSD, the read/write speeds were "swapped" compared to the earlier (TB3) values:

Via TB-3
View attachment 1690585

Via USB-3
View attachment 1690586

For reference, here is the same disk connected to my MBP16
View attachment 1690587

I think there are two factors at play here.
1) The M1 Mini's USB connection via TB-3 and USB-3 is definitely slower than on the Intel MBP16. Part of this is due to the lower negotiated USB connection speed (5Gbps vs 10Gbps on the MBP16) - but not all of it. I would still expect to get 420-450MBps from a 5Gbps connection; maybe this is too optimistic?
2) Paragon NTFS doesn't show much difference between Intel and M1 for low-speed disks, but may be throttling in software for higher speed disks.

Another possibility is that the BlackMagic Speed Test is inaccurate on the new M1 Macs...but it's running natively, so I would hope that this is not the case.

I'll try some actual file copies to validate.

I think you are on the right track, doing performance test in a real world scenario would give you a clearer picture regarding transfer speed difference between Intel Macs and m1 based Mac mini. I might be wrong but it's possible that Apple is throttling TB3/ USB 3 on the m1 based Macs, other than port throttling (on m1 Macs)there could/should no reason for m1 Mac mini to be slower than Intel based Macs.

Last edited:

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
I renamed my HD and Adobe Illustrator wouldn’t run until I changed it back to Macintosh HD. Not sure if that happens on Intel as well, but maybe it helps someone.

Also Adobe Illustrator has locked up my M1 MBP twice now, requiring a ‘10 sec power button’ restart. Also had some very long pauses in Photoshop. So I’d be wary if you use CC. Luckily I only need it for a much smaller percentage of my work these days and have been switching to my trust old 2013 15” MBP (hello fan noise!).

I grabbed the demos of Affinity to see if it was time to drop CC. So much basic stuff missing from that software, its not even remotely viable for me. Also didn’t feel particularly Mac like. It’s just like they are trying to do the same as Adobe and have their own design language (which I don’t like). Quite sad to think I’m stuck with Adobe. It’s not even the money, I just dislike having the bloatwear on my Mac.
thanks that's interesting and **** to know. goign on Adobe of old it will be 2022 before they optoomise for macOS. Part of their strategy seems to have always been to push consumers towards PCs not Macs.

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
I think you are on the right track, doing performance test in a real world scenario would give you a clearer picture regarding transfer speed difference between Intel Macs and m1 based Mac mini. I might be wrong but it's possible that Apple is throttling TB3/ USB 3 on the m1 based Macs, other than port throttling (on m1 Macs)there could/should no reason for m1 Mac mini to be slower than Intel based Macs.
what motive would Apple have to "port throttle" other than a sub-sgtanadard TB controlled, and how would they get away with a controller that is sub-standard?

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
what motive would Apple have to "port throttle" other than a sub-sgtanadard TB controlled, and how would they get away with a controller that is sub-standard?

But why would Apple have a sub-standard TB/USB controller, also there is one more point that I probably over looked which would have been important; what is the transfer speed (performance) for native filesystem (APFS) on both Intel and m1 based Macs for both USB and TB external hard drives (APFS formatted). In case only the external drives that are NTFS formatted have slower speed, then it is clearly the issue with driver of NTFS for m1.

In other words first; compare performance of transfer speed for APFS formatted external drives on similar ports on both Intel and m1 based Macs. Second, transfer speed for NTFS formatted external drives on similar ports on both Intel and m1 based Macs.

I hope I made some sense as its getting quite late here.

transitobserver

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
Slack was updated with native Apple Silicon support today. Sketch and Twitterrific were updated a while ago but are missing from the first post.

cakeloverpro

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2020
There is a new EAP build for IntelliJ IDEA on the YouTrack that is M1 optimized. It is incredibly fast. I have 16gb so I can't speak for 8gb. The IDE runs super fast, ( turn off all antialiasing for external monitors ) rust project of mine that is rather large compiles at an epic speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.