Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That's a bummer —BUT— let them get it stable before unleashing it to the masses with bugs.
And proceed to release software with major bugs anyways. UC will probably have major bugs on release, whether found by user or not.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm happy with WWDC being an announcement of the features over the year to come. Get it done right, not all at once. I like this new Apple.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Universal Control isn’t remotely a simple concept and I was shocked when they announced it. I can only imagine how much editing it took to demonstrate it in that keynote video.

Apple aren’t very keen on fixing existing bugs, so the fact that this feature keeps getting pushed back makes me think it’s REALLY broken/unfinished, and that it’s a feature that may ultimately never really work well in practice by actual end users (you know, like iCloud synch, Universal Clipboard, and so on, which I’m surprised when they DO work among my four devices).

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Big new feature like that isn't something they want to drop just before everyone leaves on Christmas vacation. Right now it's more cleaning up existing bugs. They'll get back to the feature releases after the holiday, when they're fully staffed. No one wants to be the one that has to work on the holiday because something isn't working right.
Leaves from where? They’re working from home. ?

UnalignedByte

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2013
What was announced at WWDC was a roadmap for the entire yearly cycle of macOS, it wasn't for 12.0. So if it comes with 12.2 or 12.3, it wasn't held back. If it comes with 13.x, then it was held back.
Yeah, and when they release 13.x half of the news stuff from 12.x will get broken and will get back on the ride again

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
TBH, this is pretty much the only real feature of this macOS update, everything else are cloud based.

Yet, it's a dud.

giphy.gif

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Big new feature like that isn't something they want to drop just before everyone leaves on Christmas vacation. Right now it's more cleaning up existing bugs. They'll get back to the feature releases after the holiday, when they're fully staffed. No one wants to be the one that has to work on the holiday because something isn't working right.
I was thinking that they will use the holiday to catch up on the progress and time lost during covid.

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
We used to call it vaporware. Why haven't I heard that term in a while? Apple's announcements of new releases and their content seem to me to fit the term. As others above have said, it's pretty frustrating if there's something they announce and then don't deliver.
It seems to me that Apple users are frustrated with the existence of so many bugs when the software is released, the time it takes to fix many, including major bugs, and this thread's issue with vaporware.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Mac <-> iPad syncing has always been a bit flaky, as probably anyone who has used handoff or universal clipboard for any length of time can attest. My guess is they’re trying to make this feature work more reliably than past ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.