Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottuary

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I had a question about using the universal dock and charging the iPhone in the car. I have the universal dock set up in my car and I have an old car iPod charger (firewire based). The iPhone won't charge when the car adapter is plugged into the universal dock. So I think it's because it's an old car charger but before I go and buy a new car charger, I want to see if anyone has used the universal dock with a new car charger. Does it even work?

Post if you have any experience with the universal dock and a car charger.

Thanks!

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
I had a question about using the universal dock and charging the iPhone in the car. I have the universal dock set up in my car and I have an old car iPod charger (firewire based). The iPhone won't charge when the car adapter is plugged into the universal dock. So I think it's because it's an old car charger but before I go and buy a new car charger, I want to see if anyone has used the universal dock with a new car charger. Does it even work?

Thanks!

I've got the same issue... but I hate to say... I don't think the universal dock allows for charging. I could be totally wrong... but the same power adapter works just fine using the dock that came with the iPhone.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
I use a universal dock and Griffin PowerJolt Car Charger (link to Apple.com) in my car. I also have a cord going from the car stereo's auxiliary input to the audio out on the universal dock to get the best sound to the stereo.

This system charges the iPhone while it plays music through the stereo just fine.

Thanks for the advice, Tony. I went out and got the Griffin charger and it works very well.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Thanks!

One advice when using car charge and iPhone.

Charge your iPhone once the car has been running at least 2 min after starting. That initial start-up energy shock and aftermath shocks hit hard your battery and power systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.