MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Universal Electronics has announced its own take on Apple's divisive Apple TV Remote that's "specifically developers and designed" for cable, satellite, and MVPD (multichannel video program distributor) customers, according to the company (via The Verge).

uei-apple-tv-4k-remote.jpg

The UEI Remote uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity together with Infrared to provide universal control, and offers Apple TV users content search and control via Siri and a program guide button for live TV viewing functions, along with separate volume and channel rockers and traditional media playback buttons.

In addition to featuring Apple's MFi authentication chip for secure connectivity with Apple TV, the remote also packs an accelerometer and ambient light sensor to automatically backlight the keys in low light environments when the remote is picked up or moved.
"We're excited that customers worldwide will soon be able to enjoy this new remote, designed specifically for the growing number of MVPDs offering Apple TV 4K to their subscribers," said Paul Arling, CEO, Universal Electronics Inc. “This remote offers convenient features to quickly access the EPG or channel surf live programming available through the MVPD's app on Apple TV 4K."
Third-party alternatives to Apple's deeply unpopular Apple TV Remote aren't new. Last year we saw Swiss telco Salt launch an alternative remote control for the Apple TV 4K set-top boxes that it includes in its domestic broadband TV bundle. Then, in July, Function101 launched a $30 variant for U.S. the consumer market (there's no Siri button included on that one though).

UEI's remote won't be available for consumers to buy when it launches early next year. Instead, it's being offered directly to cable companies that include an Apple TV 4K as part of a streaming video package.

Article Link: Universal Electronics Offers Alternative Apple TV Remote to Cable Companies

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014
original remote is fine. people complaining are simply afraid of change. touch pad is far better than tapping directional buttons many times.

only thing Apple needs to do is to remove animations that block the remote input. i find it extremely idiotic i have to wait for the slow dumb fade-to-home animation or the multitasking animation to finish before my remote is usable.

Last edited:

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
original remote is fine. people complaining are simply afraid of change. touch pad is far better than tapping directional buttons many times.

only thing Apple needs to do is to remove animations that block the remote input. i find it extremely idiotic i have to wait for the slow dumb fade-to-home animation or the multitasking animation to finish before my remote is usable.

I love most Apple products as they bring me joy in my life. The AppleTV 4K remote is horrendous. Top 10 worst designs from Apple.

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012

100% disagree, the number of accidental movements using the touch pad is unreal, it moves up and down when you’re trying to move left to right and often over or under shoots when scrolling in any direction, it’s not the great user experience everyone expects from apple, you may not have this problem but that doesn’t mean you can extrapolate and theory that everyone else is just “afraid of change”

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
100% disagree, the number of accidental movements using the touch pad is unreal, it moves up and down when you’re trying to move left to right and often over or under shoots when scrolling in any direction, it’s not the great user experience everyone expects from apple, you may not have this problem but that doesn’t mean you can extrapolate and theory that everyone else is just “afraid of change”

This guy nailed it. The AppleTV 4K REMOTE s a pile of pig crap. All design no function.

EDIT: Sorry I meant REMOTE is a POS; I am in love with my AppleTV 4K otherwise.

Last edited:

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
does it have a lightning connector? I hope it just takes ordinary batteries and if so i hope in future this will be available to buy ...

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014

you're talking as if a regular directional button remote is 100% accurate. ever scrolled a long list by tapping a directional button? either it's way too slow and/or you hold down the down button and it accelerates too fast and you overshoot on the item in the list you want to select. not to mention I can type faster via keyboard on a touch pad much faster than a standard remote.

touch remote beats directional remote anyday. protip: tap the edge of the touch pad to do a one step.

Last edited:

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
you're talking as if a regular directional button remote is 100% accurate. ever scrolled a long list by tapping a directional button? either it's way too slow and/or you hold down the down button and it accelerates too fast and you overshoot on the item in the list you want to select. not to mention I can type faster via keyboard on a touch pad much faster than a standard remote.

touch remote beats directional remote anyday.
I’ve never accidentally pressed up when trying to go right on a physical button remote.. and I’m not necessarily saying the alternative is to go to buttons. I’m saying the touchpad experience for many people is not good, maybe software changes or a different touchpad could improve this but it’s current not great for a vocal group of people, like most problems not everyone will experience them, It’s the typical “it doesn’t effect me so it isn’t a problem”

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
I am 100% satsified with remote and Apple TV since 2015. Still have 1080p version even. It has no unnecessary buttons and works great. The on/off is just the TV button, perhaps the Menu button could be named "Back" instead because that's what it does.

Last edited:

koil

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019

The touchpad isn't the problem, it's that the remote is too thin making it difficult to hold and use, it's also hard to grab without accidentally touching the touchpad, and it's hard to figure out which way is up in the dark (exacerbating my previous point) since it has a symmetrical shape. I love all the technical parts of it, Lightning-charging, Bluetooth, microphone, touchpad, it's all genious... it just needs to be a little easier to hold.

There's one thing I would add actually. Gyroscopic cursor a la LG Magic Remote. It is SO ridiculously intuitive. LG puts about 100 too many buttons on their remote, but that functionality is absolutely amazing and I hope Apple adopt it for the next remote iteration.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2009

The issues I have with the Apple remote is not with touch but how it was implemented, for example:
1. There isn't a feedback mechanism to tell you which end is up
2. It's very sensitive so simply picking it up can result in stopping video, etc if you brush across the touch pad or your doxie steps on it getting to your lap
3. The touch options are not intuitive, which they should be if you are implementing a minimalist control device

While it may have won a designer an award (apologies to Don Norman), it is not a good human centered design.

That said, it works nicely as a slide presentation tool.

It would be nice if the buttons were programable for specific apps, such as the Menu button bringing up the channel guide in streaming services and then having Siri only search within the guide.

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014
I’ve never accidentally pressed up when trying to go right on a physical button remote.. and I’m not necessarily saying the alternative is to go to buttons. I’m saying the touchpad experience for many people is not good, maybe software changes or a different touchpad could improve this but it’s current not great for a vocal group of people, like most problems not everyone will experience them, It’s the typical “it doesn’t effect me so it isn’t a problem”
It's not.

I'm saying any sort of negative experience you had with the touch remote does not *outweigh* the benefits. Touchpad gets things done faster overall.

I've had accidents with standard button remotes. Sometimes I'd press up too many times, but the UI is too slow to respond since it has to perform its animations, and therefore it overshoots. Just because you never had an accidental press doesn't mean everyone hasn't. Likewise, I can say your argument is the typical "it doesn't effect me so it isn't a problem"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.