Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martino0630

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Had a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm not too skilled with macs, having primarily used PC's in the past. I was cleaning out some junk files using Dr. Cleaner and a cache folder came up labeled "Anomoean". I looked in the activity monitor, and saw a process labeled "Anomoean" running as well. The information for the process says that it's parent process is "launchd (1)" which I know that I shouldn't be playing around with. I googled around to see if I could find any information but have had no luck. Can anyone shed any light on this? It's not causing any issues, but I'd prefer to quit the process if there's no need to have it running. I uploaded a few screenshots in case it helps. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.35.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.35.38 AM.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.25.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.25.56 AM.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 187

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Also don't use cleaning apps, macOS does not need them, this isn't windows. Most of them are snake oil and cause more problems than they sort out, and many act like malware too.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Had a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm not too skilled with macs, having primarily used PC's in the past. I was cleaning out some junk files using Dr. Cleaner and a cache folder came up labeled "Anomoean". I looked in the activity monitor, and saw a process labeled "Anomoean" running as well. The information for the process says that it's parent process is "launchd (1)" which I know that I shouldn't be playing around with. I googled around to see if I could find any information but have had no luck. Can anyone shed any light on this? It's not causing any issues, but I'd prefer to quit the process if there's no need to have it running. I uploaded a few screenshots in case it helps. Thanks!

What the heck calls itself like that? Get that rubbish out of your system. Try to locate where it's coming from, first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomoeanism

Martino0630

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for the help!

I had malwarebytes (v.1.something) installed, which shows how long it's been since I've run it. Now it's in (v.3.6). Regardless it worked. It quarantined a file named anomoean.plist and when I deleted it the process wasn't running. No clue where it came from, but glad it's gone.
[doublepost=1546819080][/doublepost]
Also don't use cleaning apps, macOS does not need them, this isn't windows. Most of them are snake oil and cause more problems than they sort out, and many act like malware too.

Thanks for the advice, I won't anymore. But since apps install things everywhere, what would you recommend I do other than become more familiar with the mac OS? Just dragging and dropping the applications to the trashbin doesn't remove all the associated files, and I honestly wouldn't know where to check for the extras when removing an application.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
General purpose cleaning apps (like your Dr. Cleaner) look all over your system for stuff to delete - sometimes with disastrous consequences. But there are also app deleting apps which look for stuff associated with the particular unwanted app. I mostly use iTrash. Drag and drop any unwanted app onto iTrash and it will list all the files which are likely to be associated with the unwanted app. Gives you the choice to delete them or not (usually it is yes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.