Unlimited = 50Gb... who knew?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CortexRock, May 15, 2007.

1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Got an email from my ISP (Demon Internet) this morning saying I've abused my 'unlimited' internet access under the terms of their Fair Use Policy.

One of the reasons I chose Demon Internet over BT was that they advertised as an unlimited supplier. Turns out unlimited isn't as unlimited as I thought. Apparently, their definition of unlimited is 50Gb of downloads in a 30 day period... whereas BT state outright their limit is 40Gb per month.

Realistically with an 8Mbit connection, this means you can only download at full speed for 30 minutes a day... which sucks huge amounts of ****. I now face the possibility of having my connection speed reduced to 128 Kb/s for THIRTY DAYS!

Please support the petition to the PM (UK residents only) to stop ISPs being able to advertise as 'unlimited' when they are clearly not.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Looking at their website, the first information I found about their usage policy was:

The link clearly states 50GB over 30 days. It's probably also in the contract you signed. It's probably also in the near unreadable fine print on the TV commercials... Why are you downloading 1.600 GB a day for anyway? Even buying two albums off iTunes every day and constantly refreshing Macrumors you're not going to hit anywhere near that.

Even an all you can eat buffet is going to cut you off at some point.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

4. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

I shouldn't have to justify to anyone what I do with my internet connection as long as it isn't illegal.

I've been a customer of Demon for over five years and this is the first time I've heard or seen anything about a Fair Use Policy. Realistically, you'd think they'd let people know via e-mail, rather than expecting their customers to wade through the small print on their website on the off-chance something might have changed.

The main point of my thread is to encourage UK ISPs to commit to fair advertising, which at the moment, the majority of them don't.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You don't need to justify it. I'm just genuinely curious what a home user needs 1.6 GB of data transfer daily for. Unless you're using it to conduct business with video, audio, or graphic editing, I actually can't imagine using that much per day on average. Even if you're using your connection to seed Linux distros it seems that that is something your ISP might not want you using your bandwidth for constantly.

The print was the same size as everything else on the site. If their policy had changed from the start of your contract until now they should have informed you either via paper mail or possibly e-mail. Usually paper mail is sent outlining changes in policy. If it wasn't, call them on it. If it was and you failed to read it then that isn't their fault.

You are asking them to commit to your definition of fair advertising. As far as I can tell they are within the rules of fair advertising, just not what you wish. Although if they did indeed send you information and you failed to read it, they attempted to inform you and you declined to read it.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't know if the UK is like the US, but its not uncommon for companies here to notify customers of any changes to policies with a little note on a billing statement or as an add-in flyer....Perhaps you overlooked this?

50Gb is a lot, but I too probably exceed this as I am constantly getting software from IBM over the internet on their Software Access Catalog.

7. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

You've obviously never tried to get hold of anyone who speaks English in Demon Internet customer services...

Also, I use my bandwidth for transferring high res images/layered PSD files to and from my clients via FTP. Quite easy to rack up the bandwidth like that.

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

My ISP changed their bandwidth policies 2 years ago with out notifying the existing customers. It was clearly stated for new customers however.

The service package I suddenly had limited me to 20gb a month transfer.
    I called then up and pointed up that when I signed a contract with them and they with me there were no bandwidth limits in place and how dare they break contract with me. Especially when I have the three year package protection plan.
    I now have a 150gb/month limit, which I am never going to use but point has been made.
    Maybe when the OP signed the original contract there were no limits.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Perhaps you should upgrade to their Business plan. Those Fair Usage limits don't seem to apply to those plans.

10. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Jeez- 50gb/mnth? I'd blow through that via ITMS alone...

11. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

I might have to consider that... the next package up is only £5/month more, but even that only has a 60Gbyte transfer limit.

I can't really afford a full commercial package though, nice as it would be!

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't live in the UK and also don't use Demon Internet so you'd be correct.

Since you have a business need for your internet aside from personal need you should probably upgrade to a business plan. You're attempting to use a home user service for heavy business purposes.

This has happened to me before and I called up my ISP and got things changed appropriately.

I agree. Also you may want to consider adding your higher tier internet into the cost if you're freelance.

13. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

While I thought I might get some negative feedback, didn't expect to get my posts pedantically dissected point by point. I guess some people never make mistakes, always read the small print and never, ever vent their frustration expecting support from fellow Mac users even if they don't really have a right to.

Such is life... :D

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh I make plenty of mistakes and rarely read the fine print. But the fact that I make mistakes and don't read the fine print shouldn't declare a business to have bad advertisement policies. If they are at fault then I would agree with you... however in this instance it looks like it was something you weren't aware of and now that you are you'll take that into consideration in the future.

Good luck finding internet that works for you! That stinks they bumped you down to 128k for a month. That would probably drive me nuts enough to switch to another provider for that month! :)

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Call them up and tell them you're going to cancel. Then see what they say.

16. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Touche, 'Panda :)

There must be a great deal of difference between the expectations vs delivery of customer service in the US (or wherever you are). Must be that British thing where we just don't complain enough!

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Tv shows, music, movies, video podcasts, etc. and you reach that pretty damn fast.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe you need to sue over everything like we do :D

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe.... but in order to afford to purchase that much digital content you'd need to be rich and have a lot of time on your hands to keep up with it all!

Ughhhh... I think I would only sue somebody if I believed they had malicious intent. Lawsuits in the U.S. are ridiculous.

20. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You guys are so lucky fighting over 50Gb caps in first world countries. Mine is just 1Gb and It gets abused monthly. We even get calls from our ISP begging to upgrade this connection to a measely 3Gb:eek:

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

$150 a month and two hours a day would achieve that. It is more than I'd spend on that stuff, but I wouldn't consider that the need to be rich or have too much time. And that is talking GB not Gb (Gb and you get this way faster)

We are talking about data transfer a month not speed please don't tell me you have a 1Gb monthly data transfer limit. :eek:

22. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

It's true.

And it costs **** loads: http://www.mweb.co.za/home/join/adsl_pricing.aspx

Here it is in USD equivalent
    1Gb cap:$20
    512k line:$52
    Total...$72

Feel my pain?

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think he's saying his cap is 1 gig :eek:

Charter may be an unreliable piece of crap, but when it is working, they've never said anything about excessive usage. And I certainly can be excessive at times. OiNK FTW :D

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

My condolences, really. I don't know how I'd live with that. You couldn't even do regular video chatting...