Unlimited data ebay auctions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cr2sh, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

2. neenja macrumors 6502

it IS still possible to get unlimited data plans. but this guy, im shocked he hasnt been shut down yet.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah not sure about giving some complete stranger your credential info to access your account. Looks like he did lower the price to 19.99 than the 31.99 though.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

While it's possible it's legit - you are putting yourself at a lot of risk giving someone that much personal info.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like someone that works for AT&T.
    I gave it a shot, I will let you guys know how it went.
    I been going thru hell for days trying to activate an original iphone to get the unlimited data and many aggravated hours talking to AT&T reps and other bs.
    If this works its well worth the $20.

6. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow, that's awesome.. let us know, I'm interested to see how the process goes.

It does look like there are a lot of other sellers out there doing something similar.

I emailed and asked if it would work with an iPad, he said no. :(

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just got a message from the seller that he will work on it Monday when he goes back to work and will contact me later.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I messaged the seller, and unfortunately he said only smartphones. He said he can't do iPads.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some FAQ's about this deal below:

Q: Is this guaranteed and will this stay on my account forever?
    A: AT&T is currently honoring unlimited data contracts and will grandfather them into new upgrades. So long as their policies don't change (which would effect everyone on an unlimited plan), yes, this is guaranteed.

Q: How long does it take to get my unlimited data back?
    A: As soon as payment clears, I will activate same day. In extremely rare cases it may take longer. This will only happen if AT&T's systems are down. This is out of my control, but you will be notified.

Q: Will this work for iPad?
    A: No. This is for smart phones only.

Q: Does this use an upgrade on my account?
    A: No. We are not subsidizing the cost of any phone so whatever your upgrade schedule was before this will remain the same.

Q: Why do you need the last 4 of my social, phone number, and billing zip code?
    A: I need to manually activate unlimited data and AT&T requires that I have this information.

Q: Will this allow for unlimited tethering?
    A: No. Unlimited tethering was completely removed by AT&T for all customers.

Q: I don't want to give you all of this information. Is there any other way?
    A: The information is required for activation. It is simply to verify the account (so that not just anyone can edit your account). There honestly is no way around this. Once your service is activated I get rid of all record of any sensitive information.

Q: Can I use this with a go phone (pay as you go)?
    A: No, you cannot. This is only available with contract data plans.

Q: I don't yet have an account (phone number) with AT&T. Can I still get unlimited?
    A: Yes, but you will have to start an account. The easiest thing to do is to just start a smartphone account with any smartphone data plan (200, 2GB or 4GB are all fine). From there I will add the unlimited to your line(s).

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Got a feeling this guy is going to get fired from AT&T for what he's doing, but it's a good hook up if it works

11. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Risky.

Total scam if he lies but a great choice if unlimited data is successful.
    If he did in person meetups and then do his "stuff" it would be much better.

12. Cersche macrumors newbie

Wow..this guy has balls. If he's doing this from the inside, I can't see how he couldn't have legal issues after so many of these. When I worked at an AT&T call center, we had a special dept. for grandfathered and expired features.

Best of luck to the purchaser, hopefully you get your unlimited data! I now work for another large wireless carrier and was disappointed to see something that should be a given go the way of the dodo.

13. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

People are still able to do this with T-Mobile and their older 'Unlimited 4G Web' feature. Same thing goes with AT&T.. people know work arounds but once you're in to one plan, the only way that they can cut you off or change it is if YOU personally change it.

14. Cersche macrumors newbie

Do you think this guy is a current employee or has a certain way with a loophole ( i.e. social engineering)? Just kind of curious of how this guy has found a way to profit by offering something that is no longer available.

15. ipader macrumors member

To minimize your risk, you can always use your AT&T pass code instead of the last 4 of your SS and then change your passcode code after the data is changed or you when you no longer feel comfortable. For $20, I think it's very much worth the risk. We'll know soon enough from Applejuiced!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'll keep you guys posted.
    There's a bunch of guys that do that on ebay and have hundreds of positive feedback for adding unlimited data plans so I dont think its a scam but will know for sure shortly.

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Sounds good AJ. I have the 4GB plan and want the unlimited one back :(

18. noodlelegs macrumors member

i know how to do it

Here is how to do it:

Step 1) Get an old iPhone 2G
    Step 2) Restore the iPhone in iTunes, and when iTunes asks you to set up the account it will only let you choose unlimited data. You need to be using an UNactivated or your current active SIM card. DEactivated cards will not work.
    Step 3) Enjoy unlimited data

If you are currently on an iPhone 4 or using a microsim, you will need the microsim adapter for use in the iPhone 2g.

Also I think that if you currently have a data plan with AT&T you need to temporarily switch to a dumb phone, then do the iPhone 2g trick for the unlimited data. If you don't take off your old data plan first I don't think this will work.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, already tried that a bunch of times and doesn't work any more.

20. noodlelegs macrumors member

21. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. The information he is asking for (billing zip code, SSN/pin) is put in place for exactly this reason, so that you (the account holder) are the only one who knows it. Not only are you giving that away, but you're giving it to a random stranger on the internet. Yeah... no red flags there.

22. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

This guy is not an AT&T employee guys...

From the listing:

23. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

He still might be, as he couldn't use his employee account to edit the plan because that would be way too obvious.

Although I feel like at&t could just "buy" an unlimited thing and find out who is doing this.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

Seems to me you can change your PIN when done.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.