Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I got tired of the constantly trying to figure out the better deal and worrying about unlimited data and everything else. I actually used my upgrade on Verizon this weekend and changed to the share everything. I chose a data plan that's fine. My phone has been broken for months and everything was downloaded over cellular and I still barely reached the data max we have on the new plan. I just don't care anymore.

You could have easily sold your unlimited line for $300.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So if he finds $100 lying on the ground on the street, he shouldnt pick it up because all the other 'men' on the street arent picking it up either?

grow up

Picking up a $100 bill on the ground isn't cheating someone.

Now if you were advocating picking up a $100 bill you saw fall from someone's pocket, that would be a similar situation - and you would be suggesting cheating someone rather than doing the right thing.

But you're not suggesting that. You're suggesting the equivalent of finding a short-term deal, like a couple weeks ago when Target offered $200 trade-ins on iPads, including the original, which wasn't worth $200. That is going along with a perfectly legitimate offer that happens to be a deal. What the OP was asking (and what you're complaining about someone saying not to do,) is cheating the system.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

Now if you were advocating picking up a $100 bill you saw fall from someone's pocket, that would be a similar situation - and you would be suggesting cheating someone rather than doing the right thing.

But you're not suggesting that. You're suggesting the equivalent of finding a short-term deal, like a couple weeks ago when Target offered $200 trade-ins on iPads, including the original, which wasn't worth $200. That is going along with a perfectly legitimate offer that happens to be a deal. What the OP was asking (and what you're complaining about someone saying not to do,) is cheating the system.

Better yet, what if there was an electronics store with the doors open and no security in the middle of the night. Why not just go in and take what you want? After all, they're just a big bad business out to get ya, and they have insurance for things like that... why not "cheat the system" a bit and get what you wan... err... DESERVE!?!?

I don't "like" what a lot of companies do either. But the fact remains that NO ONE has a gun to your head forcing you to buy a data plan. If you don't like it, DON'T PAY FOR IT. And guess what? If enough people agree, prices will go down!

The reality is, AT&T charges what the market will bear. They'd charge even more if they could, and they'd be SMART to do it.

They aren't a charity... this isn't the Obamaphone...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This makes me so glad I'm in the UK.

I pay £41/month (roughly $65)

For that I get

All you can eat data (up to 1TB)
2000 minutes between any network (fixed or mobile)
5000 minutes on the same network
5000 texts

And an average 3G speed of 10Mb/second

Oh yes and when they launch 4G, (next month) I'll automatically get it added to my account for free.

and how much did you pay for your phone?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

I get what you're saying, except what OP is trying to do is NOT cheating the system...
if the companies allow you to do it by way of allowing you the options to choose a particular service, how is that cheating the system?
It's an easter egg - really an extension of that Target deal - except this 'easter egg' is harder to find and not as advertised.

For example, If you download iWork 09 Demo from Apple's servers...installed it...and when you upgraded to Mavericks, it allowed you to upgrade it to the full version - would you feel guilty about that?? Are you cheating Apple? No, Apple allowed you to do it. Maybe it's a bung deal for them, but the moment they allow you to press that 'upgrade button' on the App Store, they're offering you that special offer.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Better yet, what if there was an electronics store with the doors open and no security in the middle of the night. Why not just go in and take what you want? After all, they're just a big bad business out to get ya, and they have insurance for things like that... why not "cheat the system" a bit and get what you wan... err... DESERVE!?!?

I don't "like" what a lot of companies do either. But the fact remains that NO ONE has a gun to your head forcing you to buy a data plan. If you don't like it, DON'T PAY FOR IT. And guess what? If enough people agree, prices will go down!

The reality is, AT&T charges what the market will bear. They'd charge even more if they could, and they'd be SMART to do it.

They aren't a charity... this isn't the Obamaphone...

Finally someone who gets it.

I'm sick of this entitlement mindset where people think they automatically deserve something simply by consuming space and inhaling oxygen. Or that they think they can cheat a big bad company simply because they have lots of money.

Vote with your wallet. Don't like it don't buy it. This is a supply and demand market. If enough people don't want something, companies will change or lower the price until people do. Att, Verizon, or T-Mobile don't OWE you anything. You're CHOOSING to pay for their service, you agreed to their terms and that's all they have to honor.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Does putting the SIM card in the 1st gen iPhone still work?

Last it worked was Dec. 2011. I got my unlimited data through this Nov. 2011.

This loophole was open for a really long time so you had more than enough time to take advantage of it.

Now your only choice is mobile share lol. Have fun with that.

----------

I hear you.
I'd actually want unlimited on a teenagers phone cause you know they will use tons of data and when they go over they will just ignore the texts from AT&T and keep using data without saying anything.
Happened to a friend of mine and her son racked up an additional $80 in data overages once he went over his 2GB of data:D
She was heated.

Aren't you a teenager?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.