Unlimited data with Verizon loophole

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snake201, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Snake201 macrumors member

If this has been asked recently please point me to the right place. I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for.

My family has 5 iPhones with verizon, four with unlimited Data and one with 2GB cap. In years past, when the unlimited data phones would have an upgrade we would pass said upgrade to the phone with out the unlimited data, sign a new contract for 2 years and get the phone subsidized. Then after receiving the phone and activating it we would swap it back and the unlimited data phones would have the new phone and still keep the plan the same.

Does this still work? I thought I read that they some how closed this loophole? We have a couple of phones due for an upgrade and we do not want to lose unlimited data. What can we do?

Thank you ,

Snake201

2. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

I believe if you're on the Share Everything plan the change does not affect you. If not, the line using the upgrade must keep a data plan on the line for the remainder of 2 years, AFAIK.

3. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

We are not on a share everything plan but the line upgrading will be keeping the 2GB Data plan. Which it has it right now.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

5. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

Have you heard anything else? Only have one day and don't know what to do. For the iPhone 5 there was a huge thread but this year I am not really seeing anything. :confused:

6. I7guy macrumors G5

If you are using the upgrade on a line that has a data plan, and you are keeping the data plan, there shouldn't be any issues. You can move the phones around to your hearts' content.

7. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

Now can we do this for three phones at the same time or does this have to be done one phone upgrade at a time? ie. Transfer UDP upgrade to tiered data line, pre order wait for it to ship. Receive the phone then switch numbers. Then do it again two more times?

8. I7guy macrumors G5

The phone number that had the 2gb cap that was just used to upgrade is now locked out from future upgrades for two years. The other lines that have unlimited date are ineligible for the upgrade while retaining UDP. You can upgrade lines that have unlimited data but you will lose the unlimited data. The only way around is to buy the phones at full price from verizon or apple.

9. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

uggg Verizon sucks. What about when their real upgrade comes through?

10. audiofx macrumors regular

I was just going through this. I have 4 lines 3 with UDP and 1 dummy phone. I used to upgrade the dummy phone add a 2gb plan then just swap back to the dummy phone. THIS is the loophole they closed.

Now what I have done is made my spare line a 2gb plan (changed from UDP), since that line is a spare anyway. Now I should in fact be able to transfer the upgrade to that line use it and be ok since it does have a data plan.

What they did was prevent people from doing what I used to do, upgrade a dumb phone then swap back to said dumbphone for just the 9.99 add a phone monthly fee.

So OP, you should be fine, xfer upgrade to 2gb line, get your upgrade and swap . All they care about is having their $30 or more data plan attached to said line. Remember too, its a sim you don't need to call to swap your phones around. Just swap sim and your good to go.

11. Tokenfreak macrumors 6502

Tokenfreak

Can we just buy the phone through apple.com and when it comes in switch the sim out? Will this work? Should be able to avoid the $30 upgrade fee to right?

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Buying the phone at an upgrade price whether from apple or verizon, as I understand this as well as everybody else, will require the upgrade line hold a data plan for two years, even if the phone is cancelled after 14 days. Verizon updated its front end Sales system to enforce this.

So switching the sim is not going to do anything in this regard. You still have to purchase the phone on a line eligible for an upgrade and that line is tagged.

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

So let me get this straight - the old method of transferring your upgrade to a line with a 2GB data plan and upgrading to a new phone on that line, activating and then transferring the device over to your UDP line still works without issue?

I understand that Verizon explicitly states that they have 'closed' this loophole, but from what I've seen and heard is that really all they're doing is manually adding a 2GB plan to the UDP line in the event that somebody attempts to use this method in store/over the phone. Anyone able to chime in on this?

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Not sure if it's manually or automatically, but that seems to be the case.

15. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Well if it was automatically (via the system) then wouldn't that NOT be the case as the system would automatically just remove UDP off a line that transfers its upgrade? Manually would imply that this could still work so long as Verizon team isn't directly involved with your transaction.

16. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so now this confused me. I thought from what audiofx said above that if you have a 2GB plan and you transfer your upgrade to that line and that line then got the new phone, then you swap sim cards that the UDP line will stay with it. And you can then rinse and repeat for other lines you have.

17. Tokenfreak macrumors 6502

Tokenfreak

Yes I believe that will work fine.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

I wouldn't bet on it. However you would have to try it to know.

----------

Someone would have to try it. I'm betting verizon has closed this loophole with the august 24th operational updates.

19. audiofx macrumors regular

I have done much research , but alas until I try it myself which I will be doing for this pre-order. It appears the loophole closed was the loophole of upgrading a dumb phone then swaping to another line and NOT retaining data on the dumbphone. You can still XFER an upgrade to your 2GB data line and upgrade then do what you please with the phone SINCE that said line STILL has a data plan of $30 or more. Basically they are preventing you form transferring your upgrade to a $9.99 a month line and getting subsidies like many (including myself) were doing. They want the monthly revenue to be maintained, and that same $30 data is being retained plus the $9.99 add a line portion. I get $20 off every data line and supervisor confirmed switching on of my unlimited data plans to a 2gb would still get the discount, hence I did it to be able to keep swapping upgrades. I retained 2 of my lines on unlimited

20. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I used to work for Verizon in a call center. It's been over a year since I've left, but I know how automated the system was. The last thing a rep wants to do is manually remove your unlimited data plan. Believe me, I got calls daily with infuriated people who upgraded and lost the UDP.

From what I've read, if you upgrade the line without UDP and then just do a swap to the UDP line you'll be fine. The only thing is the $30 data package will remain on that line for the duration of the contract even if there is a basic phone on the line.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

Oh, I see. What you propose appears consistent with what works with the grandfathered plan.

I'm have that discount also.

22. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Looking for someone to clarify this for me... Can I purchase the phone using the subsidized upgrade price on the line with ULD, as soon as I get the phone remove the sim before booting and insert sim from 5S and keep unlimited data?

23. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Verizon made all of our lines eligible today, so I don't have the option to use another lines upgrade. I guess I'm stuck moving to a shared data plan. UGHHH

24. mac.cali macrumors 65816

If you have unlimited, you can get the 6gb plan and then you can upgrade that line without changing to the mobile share plan.

25. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I was also wondering about this. It seems like you can still keep unlimited data on the line as long as you upgrade the line without unlimited data and just swap the sim cards after activating. Like someone else said the loophole they closed was where you could activate a dumb phone line, then cancel the data plan on it. Now you have no choice but to keep that data plan that you won't even use.