UNLIMITED internet in UK??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UltraNEO*, May 16, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Is there any such thing as a ISP in the UK, whom offers unlimited bandwidth without capping/throttling?
    And other silly fair usage policies? Ultimately, I wanna change my ISP to something better!!

Incidentally, why do we have capping in the UK?
    Cause there's little to no bandwidth throttling in Japan PLUS broadband there is WHY cheaper!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Be Broadband are supposed to be good. BT has an unlimited option (and we're pushed it as far as we can go ;)) but they support throttling.

3. liaammm macrumors newbie

most uk ISPs are unlimited, also I think virgin media is best. It's cheap and fast!

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Unlimited in the UK ain't so unlimited as you might think..

Well.. I used to be with Tiscali but i dropped them as quick as I joined them. They're PANTZ!!! Currently I'm with Virgin Media and on several occasions each week, i find my bandwidth capped, everything slows down to a near crawl :mad: Currently only six months into their contract and I'm actually thinking of switching to BeThere Pro! only £21.50 a month!

5. LeviG macrumors 65816

You might want to check that again.

You can get unlimited from a fair few companies but its not cheap, usually around £90 unless you can get an llu such as Be where they can offer the services at more compeititive prices

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Just be careful. I am with Orange and "unlimited download" contract, however they have this fair use policy! one month i downloaded about 60 GB of data and thy sent me an email threatening to slow down my internet if i don't reduce my usage!!!!!!

7. djellison macrumors 68020

I'm on Be's top package - and finding it very good. I left Entanet/Vivaciti/Plusnet in the past.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm wondering.. I'm pretty far from my local exchange, is there anyway to test or check how I might fair-up with Be's connection?

9. djellison macrumors 68020

Put your number into their site - it reliably predicted the 17 Meg I'm getting.

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks guys.. but it appears I'm not gonna benefit from switching. I'm not sure how accurate their online evaluations are but here's what it says for me... and it's shockingly poor!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is it possible to re-route my phone connection? Perhaps to another exchange or what-not?

12. liaammm macrumors newbie

13. djellison macrumors 68020

No - you can't change to a different exchange. That's just what BT's got for you - 4 meg. It sucks, but that's the reality of a copper network...it's CRAP.

I'd stick with Virgin...what are you getting with them, 10 Meg, something like that? It may well be that that's the fastest you can possibly get.

That Samknows site accurately predicts my real speed as well It says 16 meg. BE said 17 meg. I get 16 Meg.

14. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

What I found with Be was that when they say 4meg, they mean constant 4meg. Virgin may say 10 but what you actually get (in my experience) is much, much less. If you so much as think about downloading a movie or using iPlayer then they will throttle you down to nothing.

I synced at 5meg with Be and always downloaded at around 500kB/s no matter what time of day.

We also took full advantage of their unlimited service - around 60 or so GB a month consistantly.

I couldn't recommend an ISP more and I've used a fair few.

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

HA! I'm on their ADSL (no cable in my area) and its a joke. Slower than Pipex and is throttled far too much. Was £5 cheaper a month though

However, I'd recommend looking at the Post Office. Unlimited Broadband and they have an amazing package for phone too. Once my contract with Virgin is up, I'm switching.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Be unlimited is pretty good - Virgin is good too - just check their fair use policy so you know what to speeds to schedule for your torrents so you don't get overly shaped.

17. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Virgin ADSL and Virgin Cable may as well be completely different companies. Virgin ADSL is as slow and limited as any other but the cable connection which i had the 50Mb and soon 200Mb is in a world of its own it is very fast and using BBC iplayer on 4 computers at the same time and 3/7 computers in the home downloading and uploading torrents + the amount of time were all using Skype for video conferencing with friends and colleges and online gaming we have never had the connection throttled or experienced any issues. I think the only issue were having is that our modem was out when we were on the 512Kb line and we have only not decided to upgrade it so we may not have been accessing the full bandwidth available and we need to get some of the older devices changed to wireless N.

18. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Whilst I've been with Virgin (and before when it was NTL) and had many bad experiences, 50Mb (soon to be 200Mb) is horribly tempting.

Maybe as they are charging a high premium for this service (£50 a month), they are being a little more relaxed with download limits. You can't really provide that speed and then get annoyed when people use it all the time...

19. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

They had it on Watchdog that the only internet supplier that supports completely unlimited downloads is Sky. But they're not that great I think? Haven't used it though.

I'm on BT who are great, as they seem to let us download a lot, but the router they give you is really bad.

20. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I'm with Be. I got invited to some kind of customer consultation evening thing, and I was very happy to find that they seemed to really care about providing good fast coverage. I came away feeling that if they thought they could add gimmicks they would, but only if it wouldn't interfere with their core service.

Having said that, and given that the company seems to know what they are doing, it seems weird that their DNS servers are so dodgy.

Anyway - I highly recommend Be.

21. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Personally, I'm fine with Virgin's throttling as I do get a very stable speed all day long. Sure the throttling it is a little stingy and you should be allowed to download more, but the XXL package is truly unlimited. Even if you do get throttled, 2.5 MBs isn't really a crawl either. I just end up doing big downloads overnight then scheduling my mac to shut down once it's done.

I've been with NTL/ Virgin since the 128k broadband days, so probably a good 10 years, and have had very little downtime or slowdowns since I joined, I'm on the internet almost every day so I've not really got any complaints.

22. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Recently i change to their mega-fast 50MB though, the throttling doesn't just cut my download speeds but also upload too!!! And it's the upload that p*sses me right off!! It's sloooooooower than anything i've ever used.

Why is the internet connection so lame here? How you guys cope with the crap, ISP's here give you?

23. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

An interesting factor to consider is that Virgin might be opening up it's fibre network to other companies.

Imagine if Be offered 200Mb through fibre :D

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The only major ISP in the UK which has complete freedom is Virgin Media. They own and operate all the hardware in their network and deliver the end product to users. There are no intermediaries or re-sales of equipment or bandwidth going on. The downside is that their coverage is EXTREMELY limited.

In contrast, pretty much every other ISP uses BT Wholesale's equipment at some stage. Some ISPs (such as Be and Sky) have chosen to get around some of this by installing their own equipment in your local telephone exchange in a process known as "Local Loop Unbundling" (LLU).

Many of these LLU ISPs have also chosen to forego ADSL and use a newer and more sophisticated technology known as ADSL2+. This can deliver faster speeds and by using LLU the ISPs are able to significantly reduce the amount of money they pay to BT for use of their network and often this means the prices will be lower.

However, the massive downside is that LLU is also extremely limited in its coverage. Like all of the technology decisions in this country, the urban areas get it first and everywhere else has to wait... and wait... and wait. In my area we have neither LLU nor Virgin Media. The maximum connection speed available here is 8Mbit/sec, limited by ADSL technology.

The problem for ISPs who do not LLU or Cable is that they have to rent hardware from BT Wholesale. This is EXTREMELY expensive and many choose to offset the cost by allocating a massive number of users to each piece of equipment purchased. They believe that there is no way that all of their customers will be using their connection at the same time and even if they were then there would not be constant data throughput (some would be downloading web pages while others were reading them etc).

As a result, we have to be limited. There's no other way around it - if people are allowed to download as much as they like, then a minority of users would completely monopolise all of the ISP's available bandwidth. That said, I think the current usage caps (whether express or implied) are entirely reasonable. I am a heavy user, but I can't understand how people can actually break some of these limits. I've seen people complaining that 50GB per month is not enough. That's ridiculous.

If you are choosing an ISP, visit http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php and type in your phone number/postcode. Pay particular attention to the LLU providers available in your area as these will likely give best price and performance. I recommend Be or O2. If you are an O2 mobile customer you get a discount of £5 per month.

Note: BT Wholesale is best considered to be a separate company to the Retail side of BT which sells its product to end users. I believe anti-competition law prevents BT from giving favourable treatment to its own ISP.

25. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Another vote for Be, I've been with them since 2006 and they've been great - the only hitch is that they don't seem to be able to run stable DNS servers, so I use the O2 ones (which is the same network, bizarrely).

Be staff have stated on many occasions that they have no download limit and that their "Fair Usage Policy" is only there if somebody is downloading illegal content - but even then, Be won't pass on your info without a court order.

Great ISP, and I'd go with them every time, even if I didn't get the full 24mb that I do currently.