Unlimited music on iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by binaryspazz, Sep 11, 2007.

1. binaryspazz macrumors member

Back when iTunes came out, the keynote address, Steve said something that stuck with me. "You can take your purchased music and sync it to as many ipods as you want.. 10 macs... and burn the music 10 times.." --or something like that.

Is there something saying that the music has to be purchased by you, and that the unlimited amount of ipods must be owned by you? Because, i have purchased allot of music i got from friend's iTunes. Played it awhile and decided i'd like it on my computer... and purchased the songs. Should i be buying the songs if i have them on my ipod?

Just clarification, my friend wanted me to ask this for him. ;)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A purchased track can still be transferred to an unlimited amount of iPods, as written here in the fine print. :)

3. binaryspazz thread starter macrumors member

That's so vague. I know its ment to be so... So, from this I'd say it os leggal for my friend to sync his music to my iPod.

Oh first post with my iPhone!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From what I've read I reckon that'd be legal.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You have to distinguish between what is technically possible and what is legal. You can make multiple copies of your music; that means iTunes or the iPod don't prevent it from happening. If you give that music to a friend, you are in deep, deep illegal territory.

That's the legal part. The ethical part is, if your friend's music is on your iPod for you to check it out, then check it out, buy what you like, delete what you don't like, don't get caught and most definitely don't pass anything on.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think that's true. But you can only sync your iPod with one computer. So you can either have your friend's music on your iPod, or your music on your iPod. Not both.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can only automatically sync your iPod with one music library (computer). However it's still possible to manually sync an iPod with multiple libraries. :)

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It doesn't matter who is the owner of the iPod. If you buy a new iPod, and borrow your old one to a friend, then he can copy his music onto it all he likes, perfectly legal, and has to delete it before he returns the iPod to you.

On the other hand, if you had a collection of 40,000 songs, buy a dozen iPods (which you own) and start a service where you copy my choice of music on one of your iPods and rent that iPod to me for $20 a month, that would be illegal. What counts is who is in possession of the music, not who owns the iPod.