Unlimited WIFI?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleuser15, Jan 1, 2016.

1. appleuser15 macrumors member

Just wondering how many of you have unlimited WiFi or broadband plans, and if you think its worth it compared to a cheaper but limited plan. Would be interesting to hear your opinions.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wifi is a bit like a motor way; if you have it, you will use it.

My experience is that when you have limited use plan, your usage will expand so that you are regularly at that limit. And, at which point, you may find yourself wishing for more.

Now, as I am not from the US, I am not aware of the actual plans on offer there and how they compare, contrast and differ form one another.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Are you talking about home internet provided over copper or fiber to the building where you live or are you talking about tethering through a mobile device?

I have no data limits on my home internet, definitely use it to the max.

4. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

I'm talking about home internet provider, not mobile. And since you have unlimited is it costly? That must be awesome not having to worry about data

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My provider doesn't sell capped plans in my area, Time Warner Cable. The internet part of my bill is $50 / month. $45 for "standard" internet, $5 to upgrade from the 15 Mbps of standard to 30 Mbps "Extreme".

6. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

I'm in Canada and have unlimited Fibre Op from Bell. It's 100Mbps Download and 50mbps Upload. 88$ per month. It's pricey but I find it well worth the $. I cut the cable and home phone long ago.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

FWIW, it's not necessarily, WiFi, while I do use WiFi on a number of devices, I've actually got more connected via ethernet ... but yeah, I guess that's been clarified :)

We're on Comcast Biz class, no caps, but their residential plan does (sort of, it's enforced rigidly in some areas, other not). I didn't want to have to even concern myself, so went Business that also gives us several other perks including better/faster support.

If (when?) FIOS comes into this area, I'll very likely change.

8. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Suddenlink is terrible. They do not offer an unlimited internet plan and usage is capped at 350 GB. They will happily allow you to use more for $10 more per 50 GB.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is a trend that needs to die, and die quickly. Data caps on wired connections are a fairly recent thing here in the US, and there's absolutely no need for them. I can somewhat justify them on cell connections, since traffic has to be constantly balanced and monitored to assure the service continues to flow smoothly. But on a landline? It's a money grab, nothing more.

10. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but I don't see anything changing unless govt regulation can overrule corporate greed.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

In this case, it might be the people who put them to heel. I've read about the massive public outcry against Comcast in some of their data capped markets. It was enough to make them reconsider their decision.

12. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Suddenlink is the only game in town and they know it. There might be nothing more in this world that I despise more than car dealers who play games and cable companies.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I worked for Charter back in the day, and while they're not the worst of the worst, I can tell you that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and they could care less about it when they're informed of that fact.

Fortunately for me, I've got plenty of choices, so I don't have to settle for terrible service. Unfortunately for everyone else, the competition where I live is the rare exception.

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

wouldn't have thought it would have really matter that much..... There in no such thing as unlimited... since all carriers or internet providers would charge u at some point,,,, they have to to make money from u. Therefore, its not unlimited..

The only 'free' Wi-fi is at home, but u'r also being charged by an ISP..

Always been my version.

(hint: Charter u norty boys)

15. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It's specified in my Business Class contract, there are no limits, continuous consumption at the maximum subscribed bandwidth, it's +very+ specific language :)

16. Zenithal macrumors 68040

My ISP doesn't do caps, but will call or send a letter if you abuse their network in terms of GB of bandwidth. Though if I find myself using more than 500 GB that my 120 or so Mb/s plan offers, I ring them up and ask them to place a note on my account for that moment and briefly explain why I'll be using something in the neighborhood of 1-2 TB for that month.

17. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I was really irritated when I moved from an area that had Charter unlimited data 40Mbps for $30/mo to an area that had Mediacom 50Mbps 300GBdata for $50/mo. The next year they started offering 100Mbps with 1TB data for $60/mo for the first year and $70/mo after that so that's what I'm on now. I hit the 300GB cap quite often so I'd try to run app updates and stuff when on work WiFi. It was annoying. I never hit the 1TB cap now but I bet I will in the coming years. Putting limits on wired internet is just dumb. If it's a problem just cap the top 2% of people who are abusing it with torrents and such—people who are likely downloading over 30TB/mo. 300GB isn't even enough to do Netflix and Hulu—but honestly I think that's why cable companies put caps in the first place. They are losing too much money to streaming services. I wonder how long before they don't even let me have unbundled internet? We also have Century Link in my area, but for now it's only DSL. Parts of town have received gigabit fiber through Century Link, so I'm crossing my fingers that I can get my hands on that sometime in this new year! I've got mostly all AC wireless devices now so I can use it.

18. Roric macrumors regular

I really miss my unlimited, yet 30MB Charter service I had a year ago. Cost me about $55/month. Now I pay $96/month for 6MB capped at 50GB per month with satellite. Unfortunately the only options where I live now are satellite, outdoor wifi, and cell. Sad part is I only live about 15 miles from my old house and about 7 minutes from a university campus. About 1/2 mile north of me on the same road and I would be able to get Charter like I used to.

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Mine is essentially "unlimited". I have ATT Uverse Gigapower and it has a cap of 1TB per month. I never ever get even close to it.With uverse TV + internet and taxes it shakes out to about $130 per month.

20. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Just wait until 4K streaming and video becomes the norm... Your 1TB will be used quickly!

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm on Time Warner Cable right now and there are no caps. Speeds are around 120 Mbps down for $50/mo.

With Google Fiber coming soon to Charlotte, I don't see them implementing caps or raising their prices anytime soon.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

All our cell phones have unlimited plans. Broadband is 120 down no caps with wifi hotspots over the tri-state area.

23. Tech198, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

and there lies the problem..... simple ...... how can u have unlimited if u u only have 1TB a month (probably befiore they charge).

I guess business class plans would be better over personal, but to me. if there is a cap, its not unlimited.

For example.. my ISP offers "unlimited" plan but only because there is some crazy figure that (they) reckon no one will get to.. That's the only reason why companies can use this phrase..

if anyone, for example, could get to 50TB a month on an ISP, i bet there would be some action taken then i'd like to see people still call it "unlimited" .. if it were unlimited, (as in truly unlimited), there would be no cap at all, and user can gobble as much data as they could. Even if it slowed down others u still would not be charge or limited because it said "unlimited" ..

That's my definition for this. The rest is just clever marketing.

24. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I pay £17.50 for unlimited data, of which £15 is the line rental, which I would have to pay even if I didn't have any internet connection. There are some companies which offer unlimited data for FREE* (*plus line rental of £15-£20). The bigger players tend to charge much more, as much as £35 on top of the line rental, though that does include extras. I tend to use between 50 and 500Gb per month, depending how much streaming TV I'm watching, and if there are any good Xbox games to download.

Before I got a landline, I used an unlimited tethering iPhone plan, sadly now discontinued (probably due to my usage...) which for £12.50 a month gave me 500 minutes, 5000 texts, and unlimited data, including unlimited tethering. They specifically said in the terms and conditions that you could use up to some astronomically high number (something like 20TB I think) which was based on saturating their highest speed 4G, 24 hours a day, 30 days a month. At 6-8Mb/s, was more than twice as fast as my copper landline ADSL. Fibre is available everywhere except where I live.

25. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

There is no "limited Wi-Fi" with our provider, thankfully, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they start doing that.