Unlock iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daooof, May 7, 2012.

1. daooof macrumors regular

I will be in Spain, England, and Switzerland for almost two months starting in the beginning of June and I want to know my options.

I have an AT&T 4S on 5.1. From what I see the Gevey Ultra S should work? I'm on baseband 2.0.10.

Are there any other ways that are out or currently in development? Thanks.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what local carriers to go with/plans/pay as you go while I'm in Europe/those countries?

2. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Have you tried to call AT&T and ask for an unlock?

3. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Ask AT&T to unlock for you. Tell them that you're travelling, and hope you get someone who will accomodate your request (assuning you're under a contract. If not, they should unlock for you regardless of their dosposition :) )

4. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Wait WHAT? I thought AT&T was only unlocking contract-expired 3GS and below for now?

5. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Not sure what their policy is now but it is any off contract iPhone.

6. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Mine's an AT&T 4S, so I'm on contract until 2013

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

There have been several members here that have had success getting AT&T to unlock their under-contract iPhones.

From what I understand, it depends on who the representative at AT&T that you get is, and what frame of mind they are in. You have until June to try, so call them until they either unlock it, or until you have to leave.

8. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Do I need any information or do I just call 611 and get on with it?

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Not sure about the process as I haven't had to do it myself. I will let another member who has had their device factory unlocked chime in. I believe it is on their website, though, and you receive an email when your unlock is done.

10. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well thanks a bunch. If anyone else reads this, do I need to use any "keywords" while I'm on the phone?

Thanks

11. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

I've had my 3GS factory unlocked. I'm not even currently an AT&T customer. I just called their 1(800) number and straight up told them I'm not currently an AT&T customer but I have an AT&T iPhone I want unlocked. They asked for my email and IMEI, and eventually it got unlocked.

Since you're a customer though, you can use their online chat support if you don't wanna call. (But I think calling is better in your case. Since you're still under contract and technically not eligible for an unlock, I believe its naturally harder for most people to say "no" over the phone than through online chat ;) )

12. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, I like the way you think. I've found better results through calling too, so I'll try it later tonight.

13. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

You should mention that you're travelling, too. I've read somewhere else on this forum about another guy who was in the same situation as you (4S under contract, need unlock for traveling overseas, etc.), so he called AT&T and told them he'd be out of the country in a few days and asked if his 4S could be unlocked, and was successful.

I think it really depends on the AT&T rep you get though.. Most of the time you get nice people, but sometimes you catch someone in a bad mood lol

14. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

If you're a long-time customer of theirs, it wouldn't hurt to preface the call by reminding them of how long you've been a paying customer, either :)

15. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

10 years good enough? :p

16. nicholasss macrumors regular

Well most people might not know that AT&T changed their policy about unlocking iPhones.

But since you have been a customer for that long, they shouldn't give you any problems.

Also, it doesn't matter what kind of rep you get. None of them matter. The people in the case department are who matter, and since they changed their policy, it might be harder to get an unlock. Even if you are traveling. But good luck. Being a customer for 10 years will help you out.

17. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well here's an update:

I called AT&T, the man I got was very friendly and he went about submitting my case (some people have gotten around it without having to submit a case, but obviously this guy didn't know how). It was obvious he hadn't submitted one before as he took 5 minutes to find out what to do.

He said that one of the section of the case was "is the iPhone out of contract", which mine isn't. He said he couldn't continue past that stage and he talked to a supervisor and couldn't do anything.

So should I keep trying each day and hope I get someone who can do it for me? It seemed like this guy had to follow AT&T guidelines and obviously they were non-friendly to my long term status or my overseas travelling.

Any ideas?

Thanks

18. Budde2 macrumors newbie

U would try every day its your phone tell them you are going on a trip for your job that's what I would good luck hope you get it

19. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

20. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm in the same exact situation, I called and was told they couldn't do it, technically not possible, all this other crap. Basically didn't work, but I got the gevey ultra s and popped it in and it worked immediately so I guess it's a good work around for now

21. jay47 macrumors member

Yes , and most are deployed military . The others just got lucky due to the confusion when they first changed their policy .

So you are encouraging him to harass them until he gets his way ?

Nice .

Its real simple if your phone is no longer under contract , bought at full price or in the military deployed overseas & are a current or former customer your eligible .

The more people attempting to abuse this policy the more they will strictly enforce it .

Some who have posted are even doing it for profit which not only delays legit requests but jeopardizes the policy even being continued .

22. nicholasss macrumors regular

Doesn't matter if the Rep will create a case for you. Once it reaches the case department, they will deny it.

You now need to provide the phone number/account number that was associated with the iPhone/IMEI.

23. Mrlal8 macrumors member

Just an Update

Finally got back to the island to I used a sim card cutter, trimmed the regular sim into a micro sim, put the local sim over the gevey tray and put it into my iphone 4S on 5.0.1

It literally took 5 seconds to unlock the phone plug and play

[​IMG]

I use iMessage through my email so Ive never actually tried out if the local phone number works on iMessage

24. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

25. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage