Unlocked AT&T Iphone 6/6+ will work on Verizon,T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fretx, Oct 4, 2014.

1. fretx macrumors newbie

Sorry to start another Thread on an Unlocked AT&T Iphone 6+,but if any body has any doubts that this phone will not work on Verizon,I'm here to say that it will & also on T-mobile.Unlocked it yesterday(third party) 1st I had no service then today,tried the sim card again & everything is working find LTE,voice,etc,fast download & upload speeds.Also popped in my friends T-mobile sim card all okay.Purchased phone from Best Buy, AT&T upgrade,also have service with Verizon.So unlocking it will work on the 3 major carriers.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Question, was the AT&T iPhone on contract/Next? What unlocking service did you use?

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yeah, I thought Verizon locked down their CDMA network tighter than a virgin, but other forum members confirmed their GSM versions were getting CDMA voice/data...

Makes sense if you think about it as Apple only makes 2 different models for the U.S. (Sprint has their own unique version), but still is very weird to see Verizon playing along :confused:

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The thing is with Verizon's old system, authentication is done directly on the device so the only way you're getting into the network is if your ESN/MEID is on Verizon's database. Now, authentication is done via SIM so as long as you've got an activated SIM card (which you would need an actual Verizon IMEI/MEID for), you can access the network.

Besides, as far as LTE goes, Verizon has to play along. It's part of their agreement with the FCC. If you use an unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 5c or 5s with Verizon SIM, it should atually work with the LTE network. Obviously no voice or SMS, though, since CDMA hardware is disabled on those models.

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Thanks for the great informational post rui no onna :)

Makes more sense now that you cleared things up.

6. fretx thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, contract 2 year upgrade.(Cellunlocker)

7. normanfox macrumors 6502a

OP, thanks for confirming that AT&T works on both Verizon and Tmobile.

I have been reading alot and found no concrete confirmation. most confirmations are for Verizon phones working on other carriers.

now, can someone confirm if AT&T can be used used on Sprint (using existing Sprint SIM)?

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Cool, thanks. I've already used up my 12-month 5 device limit so need another way to unlock. How much was it and how long did it take?

9. nealh macrumors 6502

Are saying with unlocked AT&T iphone(gsm) u are able to use on Verizon network and voice calling, LTE data, texts?
    Can u surf on a phone call???

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Guessing only if VoLTE is available.

11. fretx thread starter macrumors newbie

$99--24 hours

----------

Yes on Verizon network,Seems I can't talk & surf at the same time.Everything else is working find.Will try searching for volte later.Using phone with AT&T service now.

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think the issue is will Verizon activate a new SIM card on an unlocked 6?

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Activate a new SIM? No, they will not. However, that's pretty much the only time you actually need a Verizon device IMEI/MEID.

15. HeadphoneAddict macrumors regular

HeadphoneAddict

I've been using a no-contract T-mobile iPhone 6 from Apple Store with my AT&T SIM card since 9/20 with no issues here.

I was told by the AT&T rep and the T-Mobile rep at the Apple Store on 9/20 that the T-Mo phones sold by T-Mo themselves were locked to T-Mo, and they were both surprised when I bought the phone and popped in my SIM card right there in the store and it worked.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Great to see the interoperability. Now if only someone could remind the Sprint CEO that it is 2014 and it's time to get his network engineers heads out of their rear ends (or what's left of it).

17. MaTrlx macrumors newbie

Just to confirm, a ATT iphone 6 plus will work with a t-mobile sim card? I'm seriously debating on going to target the buy an ATT 6plus that they have in stock, although im not sure if they are willing to sell me one without a contract. I just sick of waiting on tmobile's shipping time

18. nealh, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

nealh macrumors 6502

Why not try Apple Store for a no contract t-mobile phone?

AT&T phone is carrier locked. You will need AT&T to unlock it. If you NEXT pay it off you can ask them to unlock it

----------

That's great to hear. I forgot verizon without VoLTE can't do data/voice simultaneously.

I didnt think AT&T or T-Mobile phones would work on Verizon since the CDMA hardware was not activated.
    It seems from Apple website the AT&T, T- Mobile and Verizon all have same hardware but CDMA was not activated. Not sure why Apple once unlocked would care and just have all the bands available since the hardware is all the same.

19. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

So...if I was an AT&T customer who wanted to switch to Verizon, how would I get a Verizon SIM card?

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The Apple Store is out of T-Mobile iPhone 6+ and has at least a 3-4 week lead time.

21. fretx thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes T-mobile works find,texting & sending photos & video attachments,email,surfing web & talking @ same time.

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Well it's not 2015 yet. Sprint isn't required to unlock phones released before February 2015 for domestic use. I think starting with the iPhone 6s though, we'll have one model for all 4 major carriers.

And therein lies the problem. Verizon's not gonna give you one. I have a Verizon iPhone 5c that I can use to activate new SIM cards and then just switch the SIM to a non-Verizon iPhone.

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That's good news, no doubt. But that's just half the equation. Sprint needs to let any unlocked phone the customer BYOD's on their network by popping in a SIM. I can't believe they would just sit on their hands and not grasp for any and all customers.

24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

And Verizon needs to start activating SIMs on devices bought for other networks. Once the unlock agreement is in effect, I personally think it's stupid for Sprint and Verizon to continue restricting their networks. It'll be way too easy for customers to move from Verizon/Sprint to ATT/TMobile but if Verizon/Sprint continues with their whitelist policy, the reverse won't be.

25. nealh macrumors 6502

That makes no sense from business standpoint. I would not move to Verizon if I had to buy a phone from them, if I had one I wanted to keep using.

The Telecoms seem so stupid when comes to come sense business models. They don't want to subsidize phones anymore yet they want to keep you locked to them. But now phones will be unlocked so they have to adapt and Verizon/Sprint seem just stupid about it.