Unlocked iPhone 4s and Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SDAVE, Oct 15, 2011.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi, I live in the UK at the moment (I'm from the states) and if I buy an unlocked 4s here and bring it back to the states, can I use it on AT&T (obviously I can) but what about Verizon?

Thank you

2. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Anyone? Will Verizon accept an unlocked iPhone on their network?

3. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean do it online and flashed? I am out of contract on AT&T right now and want to switch to Verizon when I get back in a few months.

5. French macrumors regular

The way I understand it is if you have a GSM phone (purchased AT&T or from another country) you can get that unlocked but it will never work on CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). However apparently Verizon and Sprint can have the GSM side unlocked for use in other countries. It is unclear at this time if the GSM unlock will also allow for AT&T or TMobile SIMs to be used.

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If I visit one of the stores here do you think they can truthfully answer? I don't want to pay full price for an unlocked phone then go back to the states and not have the ability to have it work on CDMA.

It's terrible that an unlocked phone is not unlocked for all frequences/networks :(

7. French macrumors regular

You can not buy an unlocked phone outside of the US that will work on CDMA in the US. You will have to buy a Verizon or Sprint phone and then ask that the SIM be unlocked and then you could (hopefully) use a SIM that you purchase in that country.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What if the iPhone is different? I guess I will just buy it here and sell it back home if it doesn't work with Verizon.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

According to Apple, the CDMA portion of Unlocked iPhones are disabled.

[​IMG]