Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lick

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I plan on heading to an apple store to pick up a "device only" 64GB iPhone this week but I'm torn on which is the better buy. Now that it's apparent Verizon iPhones are unlocked and useable on AT&T / T mobile 3G would it not be wiser to go with a full price Verizon model over the At&T one. Is there any other differential between the two? I'm mainly interested for resale value going forward.

If I understand it correctly the Verizon version is compatible with all US GSM up to 3G plus it can obviously be used with Verizon 4G. The AT&T version can do all GSM 4G but is can't do Verizon which oddly enough makes it more limited. So what is the more versitile version and can the Verizon iphone handle the fake AT&T 4G (HSPDA + or w/e its called)

I'll likely be sticking this thing on straight talk since there's really no 4G in my area and NY cell surcharges make plans filthy expensive. Which begs the question any chance of straight talk getting some of AT&T's 4G in the future because that would make the choice easy.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I would go for the Verizon version. Thats the version that I picked, since it also offers LTE in other markets besides the US. It can't use AT&T's LTE network, but their 4G is pretty good and more widely available than their LTE, if you have to go that route.

Also I think the Verizon version will have a higher resale if you choose to sell it at a later date. Just my .02.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
other than what you have already mentioned, it boils down to international LTE.

The verizon version will work with asian and euro LTE bands and the att one will work with canadian LTE.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Go with iP5 Verizon.

I have this same sort of dilemma and am going with 64GB Black Verizon iP5 unlock no interest 18 months at Best Buy. hehe That is as soon as after Best Buy done supplying their employees and friends of their limited iP5 supplies. Maybe once iP5s is available at Apple Store, BB will have my iP5 ready for
pick-up. *Sigh* /end of rant, sorry

If am not mistaken iP5 Verizon can handle AT&T's "fake 4G or 3.5G" as long as you have an active or valid (pseudo) AT&T nano sim card.

How much or what kind of plan straighttalk has?

Wish other non-major carriers' pay as you go have LTE capability & compatibility on iP5 Verizon.

Do you know what's Verizon's plans or have on pay as you go / monthly no contract for their iP5?

I still want to taste the power of LTE from time to time (even possibly on compatible LTE technology overseas) so I'll keep using my AT&T nano sim card on an iP5 Verizon until my contract expires because I have a grandfathered unlimited data on it.

Last edited:

Robbkt

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Apierrec so you buy a Verizon one unlocked and use a different sim?
Could you try if it works with various sim, someone says to me that once you insert the first sim, you can't use another sim from another operator.
The best buy Verizon unlock is the same as the apple Verizon device only?

Robbkt

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I plan to use it in Europe and the Verizon model is the same selling here but I have doubt about this possibility of sim locking after first insertion. If I want to change carrier I would know tha I can do this

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I plan to use it in Europe and the Verizon model is the same selling here but I have doubt about this possibility of sim locking after first insertion. If I want to change carrier I would know tha I can do this

Verizon already announced that they will be leaving the iPhone 5 unlocked.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Since it sounds like you will mostly be using the phone in the US go for the AT&T one, the only reason to go with the Verizon one is if you actually want to use it on Verizon or you want LTE outside of North America.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
AT&T version for sure.

It also comes unlocked. For sure for sure. i have one.

It can use the LTE networks her and in Canada.

The only LTE networks the Verizon model can use are ones in Japan:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

To use LTE in Europe, you need the Europe model. Cant buy that here.

AT&T model.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Guys,

the LTE portion of the Verizon iPhone 5 is locked to Verizon only...

3G
the only unlocked portion is 3G - HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA

LTE
in USA, if you buy either ATT or Verizon model, the LTE is locked to their network.

If you buy Verizon - it might be supported in AsiaPacific again it is true ONLY if the LTE portion also unlocked

If you buy ATT - it might be supported in Canada again it is true ONLY if the LTE portion also unlocked

But i am not sure when Apple release the true unlocked iPhone (what LTE band it has)

Do I make sense? or I am wrong also?

----------

It also comes unlocked. For sure for sure. i have one.

what you mean by that? what SIM cards you tried? t-mobile? straight talk?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Guys,

the LTE portion of the Verizon iPhone 5 is locked to Verizon only...

3G
the only unlocked portion is 3G - HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA

LTE
in USA, if you buy either ATT or Verizon model, the LTE is locked to their network.

If you buy Verizon - it might be supported in AsiaPacific again it is true ONLY if the LTE portion also unlocked

If you buy ATT - it might be supported in Canada again it is true ONLY if the LTE portion also unlocked

But i am not sure when Apple release the true unlocked iPhone (what LTE band it has)

Do I make sense? or I am wrong also?

----------

what you mean by that? what SIM cards you tried? t-mobile? straight talk?

That is not correct.

Verizon/Sprint iPhone 5
Model A1429
(CDMA model)

LTE Bands Supported
1 (2100 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
5 (850 MHz)

13 (700c MHz)
25 (1900 MHz)

LTE Bands used in Germany, United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore.
1 (2100 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
5 (850 MHz)

The Verizon LTE will work in all of the countries listed above.

AT&T iPhone 5
Model A1428
(GSM model)

LTE Bands Supported
4 (AWS)
17 (700b MHz)

LTE Bands used in United States & Canada
4 (AWS)
17 (700b MHz)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I will go going to the Apple Store tomorrow and hoping they have some available to buy "device only" as they called it when i called the store today. Does anyone know the frequency that T-mobile is using for its LTE-Advanced network?

This way i get whichever one will give me LTE on T-Mobile when their network is up next summer.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
remember supported frequency and locked is different.

I bet Verizon iPhone 5 will not work on other LTE networks (only on 3G networks)

That's a good point too.
The hardware does support it but is the Verizon's i5 only gsm portion unlocked but not the lte?
Only way to tell for sure would be to grab one and try to use it with a European lte nano sim.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
That's a good point too.
The hardware does support it but is the Verizon's i5 only gsm portion unlocked but not the lte?
Only way to tell for sure would be to grab one and try to use it with a European lte nano sim.
True. Someone buy a Verizon i5, hop on a plane to Europe and test it for us. :p

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Lol guess i will get the AT&T one then.... Lets just hope they have it in stock tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.