Unlocked iPhone 6 on launch day with these new non-contract plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Any chance we could expect the iPhone 6 unlocked on launch day now that cell providers are going by way of non-contract plans or plans that are unsubsidized? That 4-6 week wait for an unlocked version is painstaking.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

for the 5c/5s, you were able to buy an at&t or t-mobile model for full price which was the same as buying an unlocked gsm model on the first day. i don't expect the launch of this year's iphone to be any different.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Verizon is required to have their 700MHz LTE-capable phones unlocked so the Verizon model should be unlocked regardless if you get it subsidized or buy it full price.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i hope Apple can soon build 1 model that can handle all of the different LTE bands around the world.

I know this is tough to do, but it would be really nice to be able to walk into ANY carrier (or Apple store) and buy ANY iPhone anywhere in the world and it will work on ANY network.

5. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I like your idea, but I doubt this will happen, because of competition. I'm hoping for a change, Apple releases the unlocked version at the same time. The wait is unbearable.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

This already exists on the iPad. I reckon the only reason it's not the case with the iPhone is due to space constraints. It'll be much easier for Apple if they only have one iPhone model supporting all the LTE bands. Besides, reckon they can get negotiate better pricing on the cellular chip since they're buying more of them.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It was mentioned that buying the Verizon version outright is the same as buying unlocked. Is this, for some reason, not an option for you?

8. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I understand that the Verizon phone is as buying unlocked. But not many understood it to be unlocked when it was first released. I guess what I meant to convey is that it would be nice for all versions including unlocked to be launched at the same time on Day 1.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not going to happen.
    Just like every year they want the carriers to tie up more people with contracts.
    Then months later they release the unlocked version.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Doubtful. Much like Best Buy, Amazon, independent resellers, etc, I expect Apple gets a sign-up bonus for each line that gets activated/upgraded through their systems. I highly doubt they'd want to lose that revenue.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

As long as an Verizon phone launches with LTE, it will be unlocked, by law. As such, you have nothing to worry about. When in doubt, by Verizon. When not in doubt, buy Verizon anyway so that you have more options both in resale and if you want to migrate to another carrier.

12. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Yup, supporting all systems and bands/frequencies. Just simply drop in a Sim card for the local carrier……the ultimate convenience for those traveling for long periods of time, or frequently.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yeah. It'll get there, just not sure how soon they can make components small enough for this to happen. It might be this coming generation or the next.

I got an iPad Air which doubled as my hotspot when we went on vacation overseas last year and it was a godsend. Our HSPA+ phones (unlocked iPhone 4S and a couple of Androids) were getting 0.5-1Mbps down and 0.2Mbps up. The Air was getting 5Mbps/2Mbps consistently and up to 30Mbps/20Mbps on off-peak hours.

14. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

iPhone 5S/5C were available unlocked on day 1 if you bought the Verizon model (subsidized or unsubsidized) or the T-Mobile at full retail price.

If you're asking if carriers will be selling financed devices unlocked on day 1, I highly doubt it.

16. Azzin macrumors 68040

Do Apple not sell the phone outright on release day then (or have I misunderstood)?

Here in the UK, we have that option from day 1.

When you pre order from Apple, you get that option to buy the phone outright (unlocked).

That's what I've done for the last few years and coupled it with a SIM Only deal, as it works out cheaper.

Currently paying 3 £15 pm for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 500 3 to 3 minutes, unlimited data (including unlimited tethering).

Obviously you've got to stump up the cash for the phone up front, but to me it's a better way to go.

17. 869639 macrumors 6502

Just buy the Verizon model when its launched....additionally, these EIP plans are just like contracts...carriers will not unlock the phone [to meet carrier demand apple will most likely hold off on the unlocked model like this 5S launch...as there weren't enough to satisfy T-Mobile] or provide unlocked phones unless customer pays of the remaining balance which is equivalent to ETF.....basically the equation has been re-ordered....and customer now saves little money on the plans because 100% cost is given to the customer directly rather than indirectly [via plans]

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I've done the math and on AT&T, I was essentially paying $715 per iPhone ($679 if you don't include the upgrade fee) on subsidy when compared to the BYOD/Next plan rates. I imagine the value proposition for the subsidized model is even worse for those who get less expensive smartphones. Besides, the real value of EIP programs is you don't have to keep paying the "subsidy" once you've paid off your phone. Now that I'm not paying enforced subsidy every month (at least on AT&T and T-Mobile), I might even keep my phones until they break.

19. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

So the Verizon 6 iPhone will be unlocked as it was with the Verizon 5S. Weren't people obligated to sign a contract if you purchased the Verizon 5S directly with Apple during the first few weeks? I recall you could only purchased the Verizon phone outright when Apple released the "factory unlocked" version a month after launch.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Last year you could just walk in and buy whatever they had in stock unlocked. I think it'll be the same this year. That said I'm keeping my 5S till at least 2015.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

No. I purchased one on launch day in Gold for my wife. They didn't need anything from me other than a credit card for payment.

22. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

This^^^^^^

If anything the new plans have taught me to be more frugal with my subsidized upgrades.

23. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Is sprint the same way? Since I won't have an upgrade this year, can I preorder a sprint iphone for full price?

24. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Would you say 3 years is a good time to upgrade? I have a 4S with Sprint. My 2 yr. contract was fulfilled last year Nov. 2013. I need to get out of Sprint because they don't have similar non-contract plans like T-Mobile and ATT. I don't use data, except when in a WIFI zone. I pay $67 for talk and text basically (as I don't use the unlimited data offered by Sprint). T-Mobile and ATT offer Talk and Text anywhere from $25-$35. As you can see, it cuts my bill down to half. But to do this, I would need an unlocked iPhone 6 on launch day.

I'm basically paying Sprint $67/month, because I prefer to have the 6 over the 5S.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most countries they do, in the US they've tended to have the unlocked versions for sale a while after the initial release, I think some of it is to try to discourage scalpers. But at least for the last release while they didn't advertise them as being unlocked you could get unlocked iPhones by paying the full non subsidized price.