Unlocked iPhone 6s Plus on Pre-Order Day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chekz0414, Sep 3, 2015.

1. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Hi All,
    I am currently planning to sell my iPhone 6 Plus and upgrade to the 6s Plus when it becomes available. The one question I have is will the unlocked models be available? Does anyone know? (I currently have an unlocked 6 Plus 128GB and I have it on MetroPCS.)

2. April Knight Suspended

No. Unlocked models generally become available a few months later. There will be SIM-free versions, but those are locked to T-Mobile.

3. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

The T-Mobile version isn't locked to T-Mobile as long as you buy directly from Apple. I would know from experience and it worked perfectly fine on AT&T. Nobody knows when the SIM-Free model will be released. It could be launch day this year since most carriers are doing away with contracts. One could only hope.

To the OP: If you are sticking with MetroPCS then you would be fine ordering the T-Mobile unlocked version if there isn't a SIM-Free option available at launch. Which is what I'm going to do except I'll be using it on Cricket.

4. chekz0414 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

So on pre-order day was the T-Mobile version able to be ordered through Apple (for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?)

5. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Things are different than last year, with the major carriers now ending subsidized phones for new customers.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

T-Mobile phones from apple have always been unlocked, also if AT&T allows you to buy full price from apple that should be unlocked as well. If you buy directly from the carrier then it is likely to be locked to them to begin with even if you do pay full price.

Verizon phones are unlocked no matter what, although if you aren't wanting to get service with them you probably would need to be able to buy one full price which may or may not be available with pre orders.

7. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

Yeah you can pre order the T-Mobile one on day one.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea T-mobile was the only one on day one. Hopefully they add a sim-free one for preorders. If not ill have to wait until I can get one at a store.

9. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I have trouble understanding why Apple would have only T-Mobile versions as non-subsidized phones on day one of pre-orders with the new policies at the other major carriers. Can someone make a case why Apple would? It seems it would not be in Apple's interest to limit non-subsidized phones to the T-Mobile version.

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

It's limited only because Apple doesn't want to update their carrier prices until next weeks announcement. Verizon made their announcement mid August. I would bet that after next weeks Announcement, we would see carrier pricing as well as how Apple will create the pre-order screen when it goes live some point late next week or early the following week.

11. jashworth03 macrumors member

Just to clarify, with last years iPhone 6 pre-order, you were able to order a T-Mobile iPhone 6 (or +) and pay full retail without having a T-Mobile plan or anything (essentially just like ordering equipment), and then slip your ATT SIM into it and be up and working?

That's what my hope is to do this year. Want to pay out right and use it on ATT.

12. ksj0823 macrumors member

Yes, That what I did last year, bought the Tmobile one and used it with ATT sim. I hope it will be unlock this year too

13. jashworth03 macrumors member

Thanks for the info! Did it make you give a T-Mobile account number or anything or was it just like buying an accessory / macbook. Just equipment only and see you later?

14. ksj0823 macrumors member

Are you talking about get it from apple online store?? I got it from apple online store, just need shipping address and credit card info.

15. jashworth03 macrumors member

Yes - from Apple Store. Perfect!!

I was hoping it was very simple, but its not quite as easy doing that with other carriers. I'm really hoping that they have a SIM Free Unlocked version at order, but want to make sure that I am exploring alternate options.

16. ksj0823 macrumors member

I am thinking to get it from apple online store or att online store. It dont make any difference for us. You gonna use it on att network right?

17. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

18. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

This is my issue too... I want a 6s+ but I'm trying to decide if I want to buy it outright from apple (T-mobile) or buy it from T-mobile... the advantage of the latter is that I can pay it off over 2 years and not fork over all the cash at once. The disadvantage is, if I buy it from T mobile, it's locked and I can't use it when I'm in countries that T mobile doesn't serve. I know about the Barclay's card, but I don't want to get another credit card. Decisions Decisions.

19. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

You have to be careful about the SIM free unlocked versions... I think that they don't work well with some US carriers, but have bands that aren't used in the US (specifically China's 4G network). This is what I've read in the past, I don't know if Apple will continue these differences (between unlocked T mobile and SIM free) with the new 6S

20. roxysdad macrumors member

Other than TMo, don't think one could buy full price online last year on the pre-order day - I forget the options available that night.

I got lucky with in stock phones and picked up a full price Verizon model the day after they were available in store. They are all unlocked if you pay full price (I think only Sprint doesn't play nice with the other networks).

My Verizon phone works great on the AT&T network. I just popped my AT&T SIM into the Verizon phone and it hooked right up.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6-plus-verizon-is-unlocked.1783728/

21. chekz0414 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Do you not need a Verizon account to purchase one of these though?

22. roxysdad macrumors member

My post wasn't clear. I meant to say I bought it at my local Apple Store. To them it's just a sale regardless of cell provider. If you aren't subsidizing the phone via contract or program like Next, they just sell you the phone and you are good to go.