Unlocked IPhone at 1.0.2 -how can Apple tell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Oct 9, 2007.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Ok, we have two IPhones - my wife's which has not been modd'ed in any way and mine which is unlocked and a few apps. Not having any problems with either but am wondering if I were to have a problem with my phone and popped my wife's SIM card in, is there any way that the Apple Genius could tell it is unlocked? The IMEI's match, it would display ATT with a valid number, I would remove any apps.. .?

Adam

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They either will or won't notice, but what difference would it make if you swapped the SIM cards? Or could it be that you messed up your iPhone, they refused to fix your phone because you modified it, and now you want another go?

3. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

You run the risk of having them update/restore the phone without your consent or knowledge and bricking the phone. They will hand it back to you and tell you to leave (as well as claim that the phone was 'bricked' as soon as it was modified :rolleyes:).

4. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it is working fine and I haven't 'messed it up' but do notice that many people are having warranty issues. . .also, the unknown of getting it fixed should there be a non-hack issue is somewhat worrisome (screen, battery, etc.).

Also, the purpose of swapping the SIM would be so that "ATT" would show up instead of "T-Mobile".

5. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I was concerned with . . step 1 in fixing your problem is an update to 1.1.1 - if no "kaboom' they fix it, otherwise, hit the bricks!

6. jeffmc macrumors 6502

the first step apple takes in trouble shooting is always to make sure software is up to date, so watch yourself.

secondly, apple can see the date and time that the phone was activated with an at&t service contract.

meaning if you had the phone for 3 months and it was never activated... well.. you do the math

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Has anyone had this happen yet? I heard they announced that they might be doing it, I was just wondering if there are any stories of people being affected by this.

8. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

It happened to me.

I spent two hours explaining to them in various ways that I was entitled to leave with my property in the same condition that it arrived in (I authorized no work on the phone, and was never asked if it was modified). No dice.

I am extremely unhappy. This was the day after the 1.1.1 release. They had signs all over the place saying that a restore or update may kill the phone -- they obviously knew about the possibility, so why didn't they ask if it was modified? I brought it in for an exchange, not service (and to the cashier, not the Genius Bar). I demonstrated the hardware problem to the cashier (not related to hacks; issue existed before the mods) -- I should have been granted an exchange on the spot, which I thought was taking place. Instead, they took it upon themselves to try and fix the problem without letting me know; thus, dead phone.

9. skygear macrumors newbie

i would go back and continue to fight that ......

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Wow... that is so un-Apple. I'm sorry man, that really bums me out.

11. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

Thanks, guys. I've sent a couple of emails to Jobs' secretary's dog at sjobs@apple.com, but even he doesn't want to have anything to do with me... ;)

You guys have inspired me to head back to the Fifth Avenue store and give it another go. Will let you know the results!

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

When the iPhone came out and they changed names, it seems like their philosophy changed as well.

It's no longer Apple Computer, now it's Apple Inc. Kind of like Monsters Inc.

:(

13. jeffmc macrumors 6502

you aren't entitled to anything at the genius bar with an unlocked phone, i don't know why you bothered

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Why are people trying to brink back hacked iPhones to the Apple Store?

It's like someone who bought a legal copy of OS X brings their hacked Dell in with OS X partially installed asking Apple to "fix their software!"

If you are going to bring it back in, you have to bring it in, in an "out-of-box" state which means you have to at least re-lock, and take out all the extra stuff. I don't even know if it's okay to bring it in activated by a hack program (you can unactivate it also).

15. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

Can you read? I did not go to the Genius Bar. I went to the cashier and asked for an exchange only (HARDWARE problem; existed BEFORE hacks).

That is nothing like my situation. I didn't ask them to "fix" anything. The phone had a hardware issue that had nothing to do with the hacks (I can say that with certainty because the fault appeared BEFORE modification). I am entitled to a replacement.

16. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Nobody is going to offer an exchange (or even tell you if they can't) for something without determining exactly what is wrong with it first.

In the case of the iPhone, guess what the first step in doing that is?

17. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I personally demonstrated the defect for the cashier at the cashier register. The presence of a defect was indisputable.

They took it upon themselves to try and fix the problem. They did not request my permission. They did not ask whether or not the phone was modified. I was at the register, not the Genius Bar -- why is troubleshooting even taking place?

They performed work without my authorization which negatively changed the condition of my property. Of course they are responsible for their mistake, and, as long as I didn't ask anyone to do anything to my phone, I am entitled to leave with my property in the same condition I brought it in. Not a difficult concept...

18. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

What exactly was this defect you were demonstrating that made you want to replace your phone?

19. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

The phone would arbitrarily go to the "Connect to iTunes" screen on startup/reset. It did this right out of the box.

20. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Yet you didn't return the phone that very same day to get the issue resolved?
    /cough bullshiat cough

21. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I was back at the Apple Store within 24 hours of purchase :rolleyes:

Stop with the silly assumptions. I have already eaten a loss from a failed modification (hardware). If this was my fault, I would not be complaining.

Maybe it's unbelievable to you, but some people still take responsibility for their actions...