unlocked iPhone on TMobile is illegal?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aek2553, Oct 14, 2009.

1. aek2553 macrumors newbie

I have verizon and ive been waiting for them to get the iPhone for suuucchh a long time but I think it won't happen since all their trying to do is compete with the iPhone, and i doubt they will switch to GSM (although I think sim cards allow much more freedom than CDMA). I also don't want to get ATT. So my solution is buy the iPhone 3gs from apple, unlock it (using Unlock iPhone 3G 3.1.2), get a TMobile plan (cheap one) with a sim card, and just use that sim card in the phone. My question is, would this work and is it illegal? I'm assuming its not because I am using it for "sole" purposes by using another network; i'm not going to sell unlocked iPhones on ebay.

Another question, is there anyway the companies know what phone you are using through the sim cards?

Lastly, since new iPhones come out about every june/july, is it worth waiting for the next iPhone, the one after 3gs? Will it be longer than that?

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

1. It is NOT illegal. It voids your warranty, but you're not breaking any laws.

2. Yes, phone companies can tell what your phone is via your IMEI.

3. There almost certainly will be a new iPhone mid-next year. Whether or not to wait for it is a question only you can answer.

3. christyn macrumors 6502a

You also can't just walk into an Apple store and buy an iPhone without signing up with AT&T

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's not illegal. However, right now there is no such thing as "Unlock iPhone 3GS 3.1.2" We're all waiting for that.

To unlock, you'll need to wait, or to go and search for an unlocked phone on older firmware on eBay or somewhere else.

6. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

What would Apple say about original unlocked iphones?

Im using an original unlocked iphone with a tmobile uk sim, im waiting to take another 3gs with either Orange in november or Vodafone in new year!

My mobile is insured through my royalties bank account & I told them it was unlocked etc but i do worry that if anything happened & i send it for repair then probably they contact Apple about the repair & maybe Apple get shirty & say its not valid etc coz its unlocked???

7. skball123 macrumors regular

Yes you can. I have done this multiple times with people. It is possible...

You ask for it to not be activated, and you will pay the full fee.:apple:

8. christyn macrumors 6502a

Ok , I've seen countless people turned away trying to do this. But I suppose it's possible.

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

There's actually a law somewhere that basically says it's okay to modify your device to use it on other carriers.

Pretty cool :D

10. Krayoni macrumors newbie

not to hijack..but people have been turned away recently for trying to buy a iPhone full price. you have to either have a current contract with AT&T or start a new one...

as for others..IDK

11. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

It all depends on the store and employees. I walked right in and bought a 3gs the next weekend after it's release. No plan or anything. I even told them I was going to use it on tmo before I bought it. For note this was the apple store on the Atlantic city boardwalk.

12. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

I love that Apple store! They don't make you feel like an ass for requesting a new phone when there's a problem with it. Now the Apple store in the Freehold Mall is a whole other story.