Unlocked iPhone - T-Mobile. 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPNarwhal, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Hey guys, just a quick question.
    I've used my iPhone 1 since it came out, and it's unlocked to T-Mobile, so I've used Edge the entire time. I've always assumed that it was only because of my phone, not really because of T-Mobile, and that if I had a 3g capable phone, I could use 3g data service.

So I went to T-Mobile today and talked to them about changing my plan / adding an additional line and la la la. I mentioned that one of the plans on the two line contract would be an iPhone, and they told me that the iPhone 4S (or any iPhone whatsoever) is not able to use their 3g, and will be stuck on edge forever.

So, question is. Is there any way to have the iPhone unlocked to T-Mobile and able to use their 3g? Otherwise it seems pointless to get an iPhone for them if it's always stuck on Edge regardless of what you're paying for.

2. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

no 3G, only EGDE.

and no, you cannot and no one else can change that. does not support the 3G bands of tmobile. and most likely never will until tmobile gets the iphone which i dont think they ever will.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

unfortunately as said above there is not the right hardware in the phone to support T-Mobile. I was thinking about getting an unlocked 4s but the high price and the lack of T-Mobile support and the unclear situation if you can use it on Verizon/Sprint makes me think it's not worth it.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

T-Mobile's 3G service uses different frequencies than AT&T and most other GSM carriers around the world, so a 3G phone must have radios specifically designed to work on those frequencies. None of the iPhones, including the 4S, have that.