Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So if I stick my nano sim from an already activated Verizon phone, everything should work including VoLTE?

Yes. That's true of any unlocked iPhone 6. The difference is that this one is whitelisted for both Verizon and Sprint, so those carriers will actually issue new SIM cards for the device specifically.

----------

I'm looking confirmation for the Sim Free Unlocked iPhone 6 and 6+ are Whitelisted on VZW.

Apple wouldn't advertise it on their website if it wasn't whitelisted.

Dingboche

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Called 8am this morning to main store number, ordered regular 6, received E-mail within minutes to pick it up, went to store and was home by 10:30.

A1586 is the version.

This wait was to long, especially considering that AT+T themselves urged me to switch out of the subsidized plan we've been on for years.

It's a pay me now vs. pay me later in the end but the phone gives me more options so to speak.

Romaniphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
will this work with verizon?
Like KPOM mentioned above, apple has explicitly mentioned on their website that it would work with not only Verizon but Sprint as well. This is the Global unlocked iPhone folks were eagerly waiting for. Apple should have introduced this version at launch, instead of supporting the Draconian policies of the US carriers.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Just exchanged mine, in & out was not in their system yet but went in back and got one

Screen resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2014
Production week: 51 (December)
Model introduced: 2014
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Memory - maximum total: 2GB
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
From Apple:

- iPhone 6 Model A1586
- iPhone 6 Plus Model A1524

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

Apple iPhone 6 technical specifications: http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Here more about the LTE worldwide to help: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Glad I waited! It the one I will buy unless I wait some more and get the 6S/7 in September!

andyfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
How long does one have to exchange a T-Mobile iPhone6?

I picked up an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone6 in early December. Is there any chance Apple would still let me make the exchange for the unlocked A1586 true world phone? I use Cricket as my carrier (a cheaper version of the AT&T network). From what I read here the A1586 should also work on that network even though AT&T is not listed under the supported networks for that phone at https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/. All of the bands of the A1549 (T-Mobile) are covered by the A1586. I wonder why Apple does not list the other networks for the A1586 (and indeed why they build the A1549 -- is it cheaper to build)? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I was told that I had to wait until my contract period was up before they would consider unlocking it. And that it was AT&T's policy that all devices placed on a contract are locked to AT&T automatically. BOO on them! I don't have any ability to test that, but I have heard it from multiple sources, including people here.

Why would it be placed on a contract if you bought it at Apple and paid full retail price???

----------

I just exchanged my T-Mobile 6+ for a Sim-Free 6+. The exchange was flawless.

I'm considering doing the same.

----------

I picked up an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone6 in early December. Is there any chance Apple would still let me make the exchange for the unlocked A1586 true world phone? I use Cricket as my carrier (a cheaper version of the AT&T network). From what I read here the A1586 should also work on that network even though AT&T is not listed under the supported networks for that phone at https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/. All of the bands of the A1549 (T-Mobile) are covered by the A1586. I wonder why Apple does not list the other networks for the A1586 (and indeed why they build the A1549 -- is it cheaper to build)? Thanks for your help.

Nope. 14-day return policy.

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003

I believe you fall under Apple's Holiday return policy which extends the return window to January 8th, 2015. So you better hurry!

(I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 2 iPhone 6's bought in mid December :) )

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Don't see what the big deal is about having it SIM free...

To lot of people who travel abroad (including myself) that is a big deal. Roaming with let's say O2 UK in some countries is crazy. They will charge me £6 per mb while on that particular country, for £6 I can get 1GB of data on their networks if my phone was unlocked. Some people get crazy bills after they have been roaming, on holidays.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
This is a great and unprecedented move by Apple. I think this is truly a world's first...a phone that can be use in ANY country on ANY carrier with full band support on 2G/3G/LTE. Including Verizon and Sprint in the US. (OK, all bands except Band 12 LTE)

I would venture to guess that the next round of iPhones will ALL have the same part number and be universally compatible, as well as all be whitelisted for VZW and Sprint. Then they can use the Apple SIM introduced with the iPad Air 2 to select carrier at first boot. That would VASTLY simplify production and distribution.

I'm curious about all of this unlock/locked business.
I bought a Sprint iPhone at full price. Technically my phone shouldn't be locked or tied down to Sprint. I should be able to cancel my service on Sprint and take my phone over to T-Mobile, purchase a new sim, pop it into my Sprint Phone and be able to use T-Mobile's service without having to jailbreak my phone or beg Sprint to unlock it for me. Is this correct?

No. All Sprint phones are locked to Sprint and cannot be unlocked for domestic use, no matter how much you paid for it or whether you are under contract or not. I believe they will only unlock it to accept international SIMs.

dannysiu

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
I guess I will just have to survive with the 3G speed I get now with my unlocked T-Mobile 6 Plus during trips to China. Then trade up to the 6S Plus when the unlocked Sprint version comes out a year or so from now in order to get LTE service. LTE should be fully deployed in China by then.

Actually that's not true. China's other carriers, China unicom and China telecom deployed same LTE FDD bands as AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. You should not have problem accessing their LTE networks.

However, the country's largest carrier, China mobile, who is also running the largest LTE network, is using TD LTE bands not supported by the T-mobile iPhone.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Agreed. This now displaces the Verizon model as the "most desirable" in the US. I wonder why Apple just doesn't standardize on the A1586 in the US now. It would make SKU management a lot easier.

I was wondering the exact same thing. If there are 4 versions of each iPhone 6, that come in 3 different storage sizes. There are 24 SKUs for the iPhone 6 models.

If they did it like they are doing the current iPads and make them "World versions" They could reduce that 24 SKUs to only 6. I wonder why they don't have all radio bands in all the iPhones.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Anyone have any idea what iOS 8 it will be shipped with? 8.1.1 or 8.1.2? Can anyone verify?

I ordered mine on apple.com yesterday and it's being delivered today. I checked the chipmunk site and it's telling me that my device was made on week 51. Since 8.1.2 was released on Dec. 9th. I know that chances are that it will come pre-installed with 8.1.2 but I would like to get a verification.

TIA.

----------

Here's the info to my Sim-Free 6+. Is this good or bad? Why?

Family name:
Group1:
Group2:
Generation:
Production year: 2014
Production week: 51 (December)
Model introduced:
Memory - number of slots: Please tell us how many memory (RAM) slots this machine has.
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

What makes you think that this is good or bad? It's just telling you that it was made in week 51 (about 2 weeks ago?). Unless I'm missing something?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Like KPOM mentioned above, apple has explicitly mentioned on their website that it would work with not only Verizon but Sprint as well. This is the Global unlocked iPhone folks were eagerly waiting for. Apple should have introduced this version at launch, instead of supporting the Draconian policies of the US carriers.

I don't know why they just didn't release this version as the AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon edition.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Actually that's not true. China's other carriers, China unicom and China telecom deployed same LTE FDD bands as AT&T, T-mobile, and Verizon. You should not have problem accessing their LTE networks.

However, the country's largest carrier, China mobile, who is also running the largest LTE network, is using TD LTE bands not supported by the T-mobile iPhone.

Wikipedia seems to agree with me. I use China Unicom and only get 3G due to their use of TDD LTE. This is in Beijing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

China Mobile China 2500 41 TDD Dec 2013
China Telecom China 2500 41 TDD Feb 2014
China Unicom China 2500 41 TDD Mar 2014

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
To lot of people who travel abroad (including myself) that is a big deal. Roaming with let's say O2 UK in some countries is crazy. They will charge me £6 per mb while on that particular country, for £6 I can get 1GB of data on their networks if my phone was unlocked. Some people get crazy bills after they have been roaming, on holidays.

Three have a very good programme called Feel at Home.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Like KPOM mentioned above, apple has explicitly mentioned on their website that it would work with not only Verizon but Sprint as well. This is the Global unlocked iPhone folks were eagerly waiting for.

That said, we're still waiting for confirmation from someone who has actually activated one of these on the VZW network.

andyfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Helpful Web Page with LTE Band Usage

Hi All,

The Wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
has a list of all the bands used in different countries.

It looks like along with the networks in mainland China, the one LTE network listed for India also requires the true World Phone. It is a shame that this version was not brought out earlier and made the one worldwide iPhone6 version. Perhaps Apple saves a few dollars on each phone by not including those extra bands and passes that savings on to the US carriers? I also wonder if the world phone will have as high a resale value on the American market in a couple of years due to the fact that it is not whitelisted by the most of the major American carriers. Does anyone know what ever happened to the proposed FCC rule that carriers would have to allow any device which could be safely used on their network?

Last edited:

TheE3Guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Called Verizon and the customer service rep said there's no way of knowing if it's whitelisted without the IMEI of the device. So basically a wait and see method. Called Apple and the rep told me to trim my micro sim card to fit. Unbelievable that nobody has a straight answer for us.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Anyone have any idea what iOS 8 it will be shipped with? 8.1.1 or 8.1.2? Can anyone verify?

I ordered mine on apple.com yesterday and it's being delivered today. I checked the chipmunk site and it's telling me that my device was made on week 51. Since 8.1.2 was released on Dec. 9th. I know that chances are that it will come pre-installed with 8.1.2 but I would like to get a verification.

TIA.

----------

What makes you think that this is good or bad? It's just telling you that it was made in week 51 (about 2 weeks ago?). Unless I'm missing something?

Which is why I was asking. Someone asked me when mine was built and I was trying to figure out why? There must be a reason why someone asked, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.