"Unlockers" Forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ncsmith4, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to have an "Unlocked iPhones" Forum in the iPhone Forums? That way, the people who want to talk about unlocking or want unlocked phone help can get that, and the people who are just talking about their unlocked and unhacked phones can do so without wading through the other stuff?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think that might go against legality issues.

3. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple might fight any forum that condones unlocked iPhones. Plus the legality of doing it is still up in the air.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I actually don't think it's illegal, but it probably does void your warranty. I am not particularly against it, but is there enough interest for another forum?

arn

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The legality really isn't "in the air" as you put it. US law clearly states that any customer can unlock his/her phone without interference from the provider or phone maker. What's up in the air is whether or not Apple is going to take stronger measures to stop unlocking.

Would it really void the warranty? Isn't the warranty on physical parts and such? Concievably, one could buy the iPhone and not use it as a phone correct? Does this void the warranty? Seems like it goes against standard warranty laws.
    In any case, I think a sticky would be easier. Eventually, interest will die down, and the forum will be useless. The sticky works for the Buying Tips, Advice, and Discussion forum, so why can't it work for this?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it's just a matter of securing their revenue and unlocked phones mean lower monthly revenues. They will fight unlocking the phones for use with another carrier but they couldn't care less whether you add applications to the phone.

Perhaps, the forum should be for modifications, not ways to get around the lock.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Would a sub-forum under the "Tips, Help, and Troubleshooting" forum work? For some reason, I still think a sticky would be easier.

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

I think a sticky or a guide would suffice given that its only going to be a limited subset of iPhone users who'll be interested in unlocking

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

agreed

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

While I agree mostly with POD's point above, I think that it would go some way to clearing it up a bit. If you're an iPhone owner and don't want to unlock, the unlocking posts will get in your way, and vice versa. Perhaps a subforum?

I'd be happier to look through posts on unlocking come November and UK iPhone goodness, if they were all in one area...

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Thank you. The point I was trying to advance before was that there is going to be a large, but temporary crowd wanting to know about unlocking. A sticky would be great for this (the guide is good too, but noobs don't read the guides:rolleyes:).

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I say add it. Anything that generates enough threads and posts (hacking the iPhone qualifies) should be segregated. Makes the forums that much nicer. Kind of tired of the hackers vs. non-hackers posts.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

One sticky for unlocking would be good since the technique seems to be sequential, as Apple will fix things. That should cut down the huge number of threads, if we can get anyone to look there and read it. Of course, we'll have to have a discussion thread with it so people won't create 50 million threads to talk about it.

We're getting too many threads on things such as individual's orders and not enough focus on getting things to work and resources or maybe, it's just difficult to find the important threads.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Does that mean I've convinced brought you to the sticky side?:p
    We'll just have to see how Arn feels about this, since he hasn't chosen firmly in one way or another.