Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap'njack

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I'm thinking of possibly doing the above to my iPhone.

Is there a way of changing back in the future so that the phone is not jailbroken? (I'm guessing once it's unlocked, it unlocked and there is no going back on it)

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Is there a way of changing back in the future so that the phone is not jailbroken? (I'm guessing once it's unlocked, it unlocked and there is no going back on it)

Nope, you can go back on both. :) You simply restore your phone. Jailbreaking can be done and reversed ad infinitum. You can go back from unlocked and restore but it will upgrade the baseband, which kills the unlocking program (yellowsn0w) from working again. In otherwords, if you don't care to take your phone to another network or pop in a SIM from another provider, this doesn't apply to you. :)

You also might get more info and feedback in the iPhone Hacks section of the forum.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Yes there is. Everything is 100% reversible. Just hit Restore in iTunes and everything is gone-gone.

Edit - This is true for the 1st Gen iPhone, the 3G version has some catches here and there.

jarjarblinks

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Just be mindful that jailbreaking voids your warranty.

However, if there are any hardware issues, just un-jailbreak and you will be fine. Aint come across any cases that actually cant be restored via DFU mode so that should be comforting.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Other then the boot-loader its reversible, but guess what apple may look at if you need to send your phone in for a warranty repair - the boot loader.

Regardless of the morality debate (is it really wrong?), one thing is for sure, it will void your warranty and you need to determine if its worth the risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.