unlocking iphone4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hurricanes52, Feb 5, 2011.

1. hurricanes52 macrumors newbie

hey guys im a new iphone 4 user, i am using 4.2.1 with modem firmware 03.10.01. i want to unlock the phone to use on another carrier other than att. how would i go about doing that? is jailbreaking the same as unlocking? thanks in advance!

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Have you read any of the stickies at the top of this forum? Lots of good information including the answer to your question, "is jailbreaking the same as unlocking?"

3. hurricanes52 thread starter macrumors newbie

and which sticky would that be? as to weather you can unlock the phone or not a simple yes or no would suffice.

4. hurricanes52 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

+1 I couldn't agree more.

It's one thing to tell them they could read stickies or search.
    But another thing to not even answer, especially if they're new here.

I have noticed a recurring theme of people being rude and cold here.
    No one wants to start good discussion where everyone on here is being rude and cold, offering no help.

As for an answer to your question:

There is no known unlock to 03.10.01 as of now.

6. wpotere Guest

Yep, this is a common theme for this forum. Actually I find this attitude on most Apple forums....

Jailbreak and Unlock are two different things. Jailbreak allows you to install applications that are not authorized by Apple. Unlock allows you to change carriers. To unlock, you must be jailbroken. As mentioned, you can't unlock your baseband.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

IMNSHO, it's rude for someone to not bother with reading the stickies/forum before they start asking questions about jb/unlocking. It shows disrespect for members of this forum and our time. Unless the poster has a problem understanding the english language or is stupid, they can find out a good deal of the information simply from reading the stickies/forums.
    Discussion is fine, but going over the same rehashed information is pointless. Besides, there's plenty of good discussion on the new greenpoison.
    If you posted a sticky called "how to add numbers", but people kept asking repeatedly "what is 2+2", you'd start being a lot more brusque.
    <putting on flame retardant suit>

8. wpotere Guest

Really? Rude that someone asks a question? Since when did that become rude? Yes, there are stickies but not everyone sees them right away. Also, if you are going to tell someone to read the stickies, at least provide a dang link to them. As I said, I have only seen the rudeness on Apple based forums. Most of the time when a question is asked that has been done over and over someone will just provide a link and the thread will die unlike here. Here they simply jump all over you for being an idiot and not looking at all the stickies.....

Glad you had your flame retardant suit on.... ;)

I also can't stand, and find it rude, that many folks here think they have to be the forum police.

Dawning my flame retardant suit now.... :)

9. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

You'll need to unlock.

No, you don't need to jailbreak. Jail breaking just lets you put different software on it, it doesn't unlock it. Unlocking it lets you use different SIM cards..

Also, never Jailbreak, once you do it, it's hard to undo, it causes many problems, and there are currently no big chain retail stores or service people that will fix a jail broken phone. But Unlocking it, YES, it's fine, T-Mobile is the only other American company that you can use it with, because they use GSM/ SIM cards, others like Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, so it's impossible.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I respectful disagree on your comment above about jailbreak. It is not hard to undo at all. All you have to do is restore it back to factory setting in Itunes. unless you have the 3G/3GS which you have installed Ipad baseband in them where Itunes will not you restore.

11. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

Hmmm, what time is it?:rolleyes:

12. wpotere, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

wpotere Guest

At the time of your post 10:23 pm....

Seriously, you guys need to get over it.

Care to further explain? The only method that I can find that works right now is Ultrasn0w and to install that you have to be jailbroken.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Also, you can easily back out of a jailbreak, you just restore the original software as mentioned. Lastly maybe the OP wants to use it with T-Mobile... Sheesh, assume much?

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Isn't it better to answer about the sticky and post its link?
    This is not the first nor will be the last new member asking this.

There are plenty of efforts out there about jailbreaking and unlocking.
    So far the only one I trust is this one:
    http://www.hackthatphone.com/

The unlock for the iPhone 4 might not be there yet, but there you can get a good sense of what you want to do next.

Jailbreaking or unlocking requires you to be careful on what you do and follow instructions, so read te sticky or sites like the one I am posting, take your time and don't mess it up.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You have to jailbreak to unlock.

15. nebo1ss, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The above post should be ignored. This Troll just opened an account to send people to scam sites and is posting it in multiple forums.

Unlocks are always free from the DEV team and the scam sites just use the tools and charge for them. Since there is no unlock for the new baseband 2.10 and 3.10 the scams site will just take your money and you get nothing.

To unlock your phone with Ultrasn0w you must first jailbreak your phone so for the poster "cootersgarage6" that thinks he can unlock without jailbreaking and that jailbreaking is dangerous he has no idea what he is talking about. He might also wish to consider that there is life outside the USA and many countries have 4 or 5 GSM carriers.

16. hurricanes52 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys. im not going to let 1 or 2 bad apples change my judgment of this forum, however as said before some people who have apple products think they are better than other for some reason. i wonder why that is. I also have a Samsung vibrant (which i think is better, now that i have an actual iphone to compare, but thats another topic) which is android, and the people on those forums are very welcoming, so i guess its an ''apple thing''. anyways i wont dwell on that but i do want to ask if its possible to downgrade my firmware or downgrade my ios??

and to add to my post, the stickies are outdated and written for 3g/3gs phones and nothing for ios 4.2.1 on the other sticky. sooooo......am i missing something?

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The basic principles of jb/unlocking your phone are still the same. You have to jb to software unlock your phone. That has always been constant. Even though the stickies refer to older information, it doesn't mean that it's useless. The stickies are a jumping off point before you start reading the forum posts.
    For example, after reading the stickies and the forum posts, you'd have notes on topics you still had questions about. After searching through the forum/google and not finding the answers, this would be the appropriate time to ask questions. This forum appreciates people who make the effort to try first.

18. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

+100

Newbies, stop being lazy and try searching, reading and TRYING to understand what jailbreaking and unlocking is about. Try to expand your horizons just a little bit. Imagine a forum where the first 50 threads are all about based on the same 2 or 3 questions. Why would experts want to return to a forum like this?

We were all newbies, some of us just chose not to be LAZY and did our homework before asking questions.

19. wpotere Guest

Why would newbies want to come back? Simply put, if you don't have anything to say then don't say it. I'm an expert with well over 15 years in the field and I don't mind answering the same questions over and over. Stop being almighty and remember that you once didn't know where to turn. :rolleyes:

20. Weiser878 macrumors regular

OK. To start with, read this post that I quoted, and do everything the opposite

21. atlantatan1 macrumors member

Yep, this is a common theme for this forum. Actually I find this attitude on most All forums when you are a newbies.

22. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Two common misconceptions;

1. It has nothing to do with 'knowing where to turn'.
    2. It has nothing to do with newbies.

There's a reason people spend a lot of time developing FAQs and Guides. they're there to answer the basic, common questions and it's why they are stickied at the top of the forum. So people see them and read them before asking a question or starting a new thread. This applies to all members, noobs and veterans.

Additionally, anyone with 'well over 15 years in the field' who keeps 'answering the same questions over and over again' must be getting paid by the hour or by the answer.

23. wpotere, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

wpotere Guest

Then the next time you decide to be a keyboard warrior please provide a link to said FAQs.

As for the 15 year remark, no, I do not. I am like you, simply volunteering my time on the forums to HELP new people figure things out. Once again, get off of your high horse and remember that not every forum is setup the same way and not every site has an FAQ for a person to go to. Your attitude towards people asking simple questions sucks and it makes people want to go elsewhere. Who flipping cares if a new thread is created? Are you the forum police? Sheesh....:rolleyes:

You are as lazy as the newbie that doesn't go to read the stickie!

24. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

+1
    People on this place should lighten up. You don't want to answer? Fine, don't reply.