Unlocking/jailbreaking iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sk8mash, Apr 15, 2008.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have a jailbroken iPod Touch, and seeing the £100 price cut on the 8gb iphone, im tempted to buy in and get one, however I dont want to be on O2 as my current provider is fine :) is the iPhone jailbreak/unlock process as simple as the ipod touch one, and is it different in any way?

Thanks

2. Top-Slacker macrumors newbie

Wondering exactly the same thing. Thing I wanna know is if there's a problem doing it right out the box, before activating it as that's what I'm most concerned about.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

It is very easy, and can be done in less then 5 minutes. I think it takes longer to activate with an official carrier then it does to hack right now.

You can use Pwnage or iLiberty or ziphone and have it activated and unlocked by just clicking a few buttons.

iLiberty is probably the easiest and safest option if you dont know what you are doing.

4. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

But which one of these if fully reversible to original state? I have windows, and was really looking forward to winpwn but doesnt seem it'll be released yet. I have a brand new 16gb iphone staring at me and I'm not sure where to start and believe me I'm eager. I'd like to be able to reverse anything I do just in case. Bare with me, brand new to Apple. :apple:

5. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Any method should be fully reversible just by clikcing restore in iTunes.

I checked out some videos of the ziphone unlock on youtube, and it looks way easier than it was to jailbreak my touch. Does the ziphone jailbreak the iPhone aswell?

Thanks again.

6. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I've been told to totally stay away from ziphone as it messes up something permanently.

7. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Personally I used ZiPhone and I have unlocked several iPhones with it. Works very well. However, if you want to get REALLY technical it irreversible downgrades the bootloader to a modified 3.9. This is mostly meaningless, but if you are super paranoid, then try iLiberty. In any case, Pwnage is actually the best method around if you have a mac handy.

8. b777av8r macrumors newbie

ZiPhone

So easy to do. I had an iPhone on V 1.1.2, I RESET my phone to 1.1.4 Quit iTunes completely, then activated ZiPhone. The interface is self explanitory.

SINGLE CLICK the desired process that you want...I made the mistake of double clicking and got an error message. The software 'finds' the iPhone and after a few seconds, the screen begins to show the update process. It takes a few moments for the files to load...and look very carefully at the iPhone screen to see what the process is showing. The print is very small...but...after about 45 seconds, you will see the files load and at the finish...the phone restarts...and Voila! An unlocked, jailbroken phone. Worked like a charm!

9. spinstorm macrumors 65816

SIGH

How many times do I have to tell you guys the same thing!

ZiPhone is NOT REVERSIBLE unless you use pwnage to reverse it!

iLiberty/iPlus is reversible but you may as well use pwnage.

furthermore ZiPhone is dangerous as it unlocks and jailbreaks at the same time which if it goes wrong will break your phone.

My advice if you can't handle pwnage is use iLiberty+ as its the safest method.

Below is a iLiberty+ tutorial:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_iliberty_windows.html

For Pwnage read my FAQ! Then you can follow its steps or use the same tutorial site:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_pwnage_mac.html

Pwnage right now is Mac ONLY - a windows version WILL be released soon...

10. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Explain what you consider to be "Not Reversible" just to make sure everyone understands.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Reversible means that you can go back to your original Out of the Box (OTB) settings.

12. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

lol I know what it means :) I wanted to know what exactly he meant by it. ZiPhone is nearly 100% reversible. The only thing that can't be reversed is the bootloader as I previously stated. The bootloader is almost meaningless to the normal user and if they didn't know better, they wouldn't even realize that component had been changed. You can restore to 1.1.4 in iTunes and I am pretty sure no one but you would know the difference (unless you really wanted to go into technicalities)

To the OP: Just use iLiberty to avoid the headache of googling what I'm talking about :)

13. stereophonics macrumors newbie

simply put, ziphone downgrades your bootloader from 4.6 to a 3.9

iliberty on the other hand downgrades 4.6 to a 3.9fakeblank so if you're unsure just use iliberty or iplus they both give you 3.9FB

14. spinstorm macrumors 65816

If you take it back to Apple then they WILL KNOW your bootloader is the wrong type for the phone serial number and see you hacked it EVEN if you put everything back to normal box condition.

The ONLY way to reverse that is with Pwnage. iLiberty's bootloader downgrade can be reversed using iLiberty itself. ZiPhone CAN NOT reverse its bootloader change on your phone.

ZiPhone IS DANGEROUS! I have explained once that it does the unlock and jailbreak at the same time and can break your phone.

Don't be fools.

Be safe.

DO NOT USE ZIPHONE EVER!

I would not want to risk my expensive phone on something which is not the safest method possible - and ziphone is not safe!

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think I made it clear to them about that....ZiPhone = not safe.

16. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

iLiberty+ or iLibertyX

Does anyone know the difference between iLiberty+ and iLibertyX?

17. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

iLibertyX = mac
    iLiberty+ = windows

that's it

18. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So is iLibertyX the definitive best program for unlocking AND jailbreaking your iPhone?

Also, do you have to worry about downgrading the firmware before the jailbreak process? Or is downgrading to the bootloader the only thing?

Thankssss

19. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think we've made things seem complicated :).

Step 1: Buy the phone
    Step 2: Download iLibertyX
    Step 3: Attach the phone
    Step 4: Quit iTunes
    Step 5: Run iLibertyX and follow the very self explanatory steps

This all will take under 5 minutes and nearly no know-how

When I started jailbreaking phones it took nearly an hour, now only 5 minutes :)

20. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Yeah, my first ipod jailbreak took a good 40 minutes.

Thanks, going down to the o2 shop soon :p

21. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I think I'm trying this tonight. What are the chances I'll mess up my brand new iphone :eek:

Just cant wait for winpwn, seems no love for windows users :(

22. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Near 0. Couldn't be ANY easier :)

23. rogerw macrumors 6502

hi, just got a 8 gig iphone from o2.
    hacked it using Liberty seems to have worked etc but. put a sim card in it from my old phone (vodafone)+ doesnt work. No network it says in the settings bit. Anything ive missed
    ta for any help

when all else fails, read the instructions!
    forgot one of the check boxes on the liberty panel...sorry- re did it and now all ok

24. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

:eek: well sh**. here i am at home 2 days after jailbreaking with ziphone and i read all of this...i restored last night....what now?? im scared that something may be wrong now...what should i do? iliberty+? will that cover the issues i may have? restore again and wait till the sdk in june?? AHHHH!!! :confused:

**as you can tell, you all have made me a very paranoid iphone owner** :(

25. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Whoa there cowboy, not a big deal. My phone is ziphone jalibroken/unlocked as well. You are not missing out on anything and you shouldn't really be too concerned at this point. If your phone works fine with ziphone, stick with it. Since you said you already jumped the gun and restored it, just use ziphone again and forget you ever read all this :). When iphone firmware 2.0 comes out in June, you will not miss out and can use a different tool to upgrade at that point. This whole thread is a lot of paranoia and mostly to do with sending a broken phone into Apple for repairs under warranty.